517 replies to this topic

#481 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 08:15 AM

I have always done mine based on weight.  For the boil I add 1 gram for a 6g batch and the mash amount varies by the amount of strike water.  It looks like in the mash I am using 0.1g/G.  This is what I have used from the start so at some point it must be what was suggested.

Are you still using it in the strike water as a part of the trifecta and then mixed with water for the boil addition?  I know there was some "clarity talk" (neddles seemed to run into clarity issues, IIRC) but I'm still using it according to the instructions we originally saw.  

#482 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 08:21 AM

Are you still using it in the strike water as a part of the trifecta and then mixed with water for the boil addition?  I know there was some "clarity talk" (neddles seemed to run into clarity issues, IIRC) but I'm still using it according to the instructions we originally saw.  

I use it when I do the blend at a lower rate than I posted above.  That is 0.04g/G of strike water.  I use it in the boil still and other than one beer, rye pilsner, I have not had many issues with clarity.  Tasting that rye pilsner now leads me to believe the clarity issue had to do with the yeast.  There is a off flavor in that beer.

#483 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 08:35 AM

I use it when I do the blend at a lower rate than I posted above.  That is 0.04g/G of strike water.  I use it in the boil still and other than one beer, rye pilsner, I have not had many issues with clarity.  Tasting that rye pilsner now leads me to believe the clarity issue had to do with the yeast.  There is a off flavor in that beer.

Interesting.  I never had a clarity issue with BTB and in fact I might even say that my BTB beers were clearer than prior to using BTB.  The only weirdness I saw when using BTB was a sort of orangy foam that formed on the top of the mash and when the wort was coming to a boil in the kettle.  Otherwise I feel like it creates a smoother, silkier beer.  I still have some BTB that Chils sent to me and I have a small package from my LHBS which was 1 ounce for $5.99.  Also, I said it originally and I still believe that with all of our variables (equipment, water, process, etc) the BTB might do different things for different people.  If Chils didn't see an improvement with BTB then maybe he doesn't have any issues that BTB would correct.  

#484 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16521 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 08:49 AM

I still use it. I since determined that the clarity issues were from short low vigor boiling, not BTB.

Edited by neddles, 21 September 2018 - 08:50 AM.

#485 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 08:59 AM

I still use it. I since determined that the clarity issues were from short low vigor boiling, not BTB.

Mmm, that's interesting.  I have never looked super-closely at my boil rate.  If anything, I have lowered my boil rate a bit after some of the low-O2 guys mentioned that a super-vigorous boil could be an issue.  But I have no real clue if my boil rate is dialed in or not.  Clarity is good and I seem to be getting as much low-O2 benefit as I can get despite some 'cheating'.  

#486 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 September 2018 - 09:20 AM

oof - based on drez amounts that's about $1 per batch but I guess it's worth it???  for such a small amount it doesn't seem like it should cost that much.

eta: whoops - actually about $0.50.  I guess that's not too bad.

Edited by pickle_rick, 21 September 2018 - 09:20 AM.

#487 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 October 2018 - 06:10 AM

I'm back to my dark green strike water :-/

not sure of the source I guess.

#488 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 06:19 AM

I'm back to my dark green strike water :-/

not sure of the source I guess.

You are on town or municipal water correct?  I wonder if it has to so with the water composition changing after heavy rains or seasonal differences.

#489 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 October 2018 - 07:29 AM

You are on town or municipal water correct?  I wonder if it has to so with the water composition changing after heavy rains or seasonal differences.

I am.  My water comes from a local lake (to the best of my knowledge).  My mash pH seems to be pretty predictable but that doesn't mean other stuff isn't varying.

#490 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 October 2018 - 07:32 AM

also - I drink this water daily with no filtration and I don't really notice anything bad tasting ever.

#491 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 05 October 2018 - 08:36 AM

When I swapped out my old MT and put together a new one, I cut my old stainless braid apart to separate it from the valve.  When I cut it open I was surprised to find a copper wire inside running the length of the stainless braid.  I got that braid in 2004 when I first went all-grain and never knew there was a copper wire inside of it.  When I put my new MT together I got a new stainless braid from the hardware store and there is no copper wire in it.  

TL;DR:  sometimes you have copper and don't realize it.  

My LHBS now carries BTB.

FWIW, when you or anyone s=else is looking for braid, I recommend Lasco brand (part number 10-0121 or 10-0321)

#492 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 02 November 2018 - 03:58 AM

hmmm - today there is pretty much zero change in color to my strike water.  it must be my water supplier b/c I can't think of any changes in equipment, cleaning process, etc. that would explain this.  I do everything the same pretty much every time.

#493 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 04:42 AM

hmmm - today there is pretty much zero change in color to my strike water.  it must be my water supplier b/c I can't think of any changes in equipment, cleaning process, etc. that would explain this.  I do everything the same pretty much every time.

Must be something in the municipal water.  Maybe an additive that is not there all the time?

#494 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 02 November 2018 - 05:38 AM

Must be something in the municipal water.  Maybe an additive that is not there all the time?

the last 3 batches have alternated.  so it's changing every couple of weeks?? :P

#495 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 05:39 AM

the last 3 batches have alternated.  so it's changing every couple of weeks?? :P

I do not know.  We have had lots of rain lately so I am not sure what they need to do to keep your numbers in a certain range.  

#496 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 02 November 2018 - 06:22 AM

I do not know.  We have had lots of rain lately so I am not sure what they need to do to keep your numbers in a certain range.  

could be it.  it's exciting when my water doesn't get all dark green though!

#497 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 03 November 2018 - 04:30 PM

could be it.  it's exciting when my water doesn't get all dark green though!

have you considered iron? perhaps the changes in your municipal water are changes in iron levels?

#498 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 03 November 2018 - 04:33 PM

have you considered iron? perhaps the changes in your municipal water are changes in iron levels?

I guess it could be but I'm not sure how to really tell if it's changing this frequently.

#499 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 04 November 2018 - 09:49 AM

Except I know I have no iron in my system and I get it, too.  In fact, I know my well water profile is remarkably stable and sometimes I get it and sometimes I don't.

#500 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 November 2018 - 01:32 PM

Except I know I have no iron in my system and I get it, too.  In fact, I know my well water profile is remarkably stable and sometimes I get it and sometimes I don't.

oh - I didn't know you got this as well (or I forgot).  does it turn really dark green for you?  at some point I thought maybe it was an interaction with something I was adding to my water (campden tablets, gypsum, CaCl, lactic acid) but I don't think so.  the other variable is how hot the water is when I add the brewtan but I haven't paid attention to correlate that with anything.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)