Photo
- - - - -

Any of you guys in the FB German Brewing group see the latest?

• Please log in to reply
313 replies to this topic

#281 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 11:55 AM

liking the sound of that!

I like the idea!

#282 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 26 May 2016 - 12:16 PM

liking the sound of that!

It kinda depends on their schedule.  And I always have doubts about what commercial brewers say relating to homebrewers.

#283 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 May 2016 - 12:20 PM

It kinda depends on their schedule.  And I always have doubts about what commercial brewers say relating to homebrewers.

maybe they can provide some guidance on that as well.  I guess you just need to find the right brewer who can think a little outside their own box and imagine what might not matter on the small scale.

I wonder if an R&D guy like basser would have been good for this sort thing.  he must have been making small test batches right?

Edited by Evil_Morty, 26 May 2016 - 12:21 PM.

#284 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16666 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 12:38 PM

Wether or not it is applicable to home brewers is something we can decide for ourselves. They would be interesting guests to hear either way, IMO.

#285 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 26 May 2016 - 01:51 PM

maybe they can provide some guidance on that as well.  I guess you just need to find the right brewer who can think a little outside their own box and imagine what might not matter on the small scale.

I wonder if an R&D guy like basser would have been good for this sort thing.  he must have been making small test batches right?

Based on what I saw when I was at Beer Camp when he was at SN, the test batches were 10 bbl.

#286 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 26 May 2016 - 02:58 PM

Based on what I saw when I was at Beer Camp when he was at SN, the test batches were 10 bbl.

He had just started getting the nano up and running there when he left.

#287 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 26 May 2016 - 04:24 PM

Is that group really that anal? You have to get "it"

#288 cavman

cavman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 26 May 2016 - 04:29 PM

I should add I brew less scientifically then most. I brew by what feels right and sometimes change up at the last minute, but those changes are based on studying brewing techniques and the science combined with what I feel works for the beer I am brewing at the moment.

#289 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16666 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 04:38 PM

I should add I brew less scientifically then most. I brew by what feels right and sometimes change up at the last minute, but those changes are based on studying brewing techniques and the science combined with what I feel works for the beer I am brewing at the moment.

Perfectly valid approach me thinks. At the end of it all there is still an art to it that is best exercised by practice, trial, error.

#290 cavman

cavman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 26 May 2016 - 04:42 PM

Perfectly valid approach me thinks. At the end of it all there is still an art to it that is best exercised by practice, trial, error.

My beer tastes ok IMO :P

I used to say art was how I brewed but that sounds pompous

Edited by cavman, 26 May 2016 - 04:43 PM.

#291 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 04:44 PM

Is that group really that anal? You have to get "it"

Pragmatic or practical advice is not accepted very readily. It's like some there have been brainwashed and have a picture of what germans do, how they live and brew and if what you say nicks their picturesque idealism their world will implode. So some will revert to name calling and/or belittling you for not being german enough or not being able to taste "it". 

#292 cavman

cavman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 26 May 2016 - 04:47 PM

Pragmatic or practical advice is not accepted very readily. It's like some there have been brainwashed and have a picture of what germans do, how they live and brew and if what you say nicks their picturesque idealism their world will implode. So some will revert to name calling and/or belittling you for not being german enough or not being able to taste "it".

I would be banned quickly if they are like that.

#293 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 05:55 PM

I would be banned quickly if they are like that.

I came pretty close. Luckily a moderator there warned me and I cooled off.

#294 cavman

cavman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 26 May 2016 - 05:59 PM

I came pretty close. Luckily a moderator there warned me and I cooled off.

I'm only like 25% German so would be running a risk yo

#295 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49864 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 26 May 2016 - 08:11 PM

ZOMG NEGATIVITY!!!!11!1!1

Look. I won't go so far to say they're wrong. I just want to see the science. Not just some group think confirmation bias circle jerk
ETA I would also like the science to not pull a Fix and be self referential (no offense to George, RIP, just sayin)

#296 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54135 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 06:21 AM

I think that their "it" is defined by what they taste in German beers when you drink them at the source. Many of those guys go to Germany on a regular basis and compare the beers they taste when they're in Germany to the German beers they drink here and they say that there is a difference. They're trying to duplicate that fresh, German flavor and their goal is to get it, not come close to it. When I look at their processes, I don't necessarily see something that I want to do but I do see it as a possible way to improve my beer. If I make a few of these batches (low-O2) and see no benefit, I would put it out of my mind.

#297 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 May 2016 - 06:50 AM

I think that their "it" is defined by what they taste in German beers when you drink them at the source. Many of those guys go to Germany on a regular basis and compare the beers they taste when they're in Germany to the German beers they drink here and they say that there is a difference. They're trying to duplicate that fresh, German flavor and their goal is to get it, not come close to it. When I look at their processes, I don't necessarily see something that I want to do but I do see it as a possible way to improve my beer. If I make a few of these batches (low-O2) and see no benefit, I would put it out of my mind.

it's important to not confuse their attitude and their methods.  If some or all of the methods turned out to be good I wouldn't cut off my own nose to spite my face.  I take useful information when it's given to me.

but the attitude:

1) secretive

2) elitist

3) unwilling to debate anything

no thanks.  I'll continue to operate in the light of day, debate new and old methods, and assist anyone who is looking for guidance.

#298 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 06:58 AM

Wait, I thought the ringleader has never been to the mother land.

Edited by drez77, 27 May 2016 - 06:59 AM.

#299 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54135 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 07:12 AM

I don't know who the ringleader is. I just said "Many of those guys". Brandon's wife is German and still has family there so they visit frequently. I agree that some of the attitudes are annoying and I have gotten into kerfuffels with some of them as well. I don't really care about that part of it. There are any number of people who want to make REAL ALES because they're' into English styles, serve them via gravity instead of CO2, etc. and there are plenty of Belgianheads who are trying to get authentic flavors too. These guys just happen to be German Beerheads and some of their personalities are mildly annoying. I'm sure we've all run into that in our forum browsing.

#300 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49864 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 27 May 2016 - 07:26 AM

I haven't spent much time over there, but this all sounds like superstition mixed with urban legend applied to brewing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users