151 replies to this topic

#101 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16694 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 02:07 PM

What ones, I want to try them for myself.

This. If there are more beers with that kind of flavor I want to try them.

Particularly with the similar mouthfeel.

And that.

Edited by neddles, 15 April 2016 - 02:08 PM.

#102 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 16 April 2016 - 05:14 AM

Man, I certainly have.

I think a key is that the hop aspect of the beer changes really fast in those first few weeks.  I'm not saying early is necessarily better - that's a matter of personal taste.  but I do think a lot of people are looking for that very young dry hop flavor/aroma and I think one of the only ways to get it is to get the beer packaged ASAP which means some amount of hop matter is making it into the can/bottle.

#103 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 16 April 2016 - 08:23 AM

The ones I'm thinking of don't have that mouthfeel, but to me that's a positive.  Flavor and aroma wise I'm thinking of Sticky Hands from Block 15 in Corvalis OR and an IPA and DIPA (can't recall the names) from Bale Breaker in Yakima WA.

And that's all I'm gonna say til I'm ready to post my blog.  People are getting too defensive when all I'm doing is posting my subjective thoughts.

#104 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 16 April 2016 - 08:44 AM

The ones I'm thinking of don't have that mouthfeel, but to me that's a positive.  Flavor and aroma wise I'm thinking of Sticky Hands from Block 15 in Corvalis OR and an IPA and DIPA (can't recall the names) from Bale Breaker in Yakima WA.

And that's all I'm gonna say til I'm ready to post my blog.  People are getting too defensive when all I'm doing is posting my subjective thoughts.

denny = tupac, others = biggie.

:D

#105 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49870 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 16 April 2016 - 12:18 PM

The ones I'm thinking of don't have that mouthfeel, but to me that's a positive. Flavor and aroma wise I'm thinking of Sticky Hands from Block 15 in Corvalis OR and an IPA and DIPA (can't recall the names) from Bale Breaker in Yakima WA.

And that's all I'm gonna say til I'm ready to post my blog. People are getting too defensive when all I'm doing is posting my subjective thoughts.

ZOMG WEST COAST BIAS1111!!!11

#106 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18077 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 07:35 AM

The AHA has spoken, I guess they do not like NE beers :lol:.  Thought it was very funny to see this in my e-mail.  

13010812_10154963055629657_6033778204811

#107 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 19 April 2016 - 07:39 AM

what's the image of?

#108 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18077 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 07:45 AM

what's the image of?

a hazy beer with the words " What is beer haze and how can you fix it."  I just thought it was funny.

#109 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 19 April 2016 - 07:46 AM

a hazy beer with the words " What is beer haze and how can you fix it."  I just thought it was funny.

:lol:

#110 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 19 April 2016 - 08:23 AM

Maybe they are just helping people not to end up with clear IPAs ;)

#111 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16694 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 08:58 AM

We need to write an entry for our FAQ... "What is An Incurable Hop Haze and How Do I Create It.?"

#112 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:05 AM

I'd like to know what is the benefit of haze?

#113 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18077 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:10 AM

I think the Haze and the compounds that are creating it, I am not sold on it being yeast in solution, give a mouthfeel to the beer that I have not had in beers that do not have this amount of haze.  You have indicated that you do not like the mouthfeel so I am guessing for you it is not a benafit but for others it is. 

#114 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16694 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:12 AM

If you didn't notice it when tasting those beers then there is apparently no benefit... to you. However you might want to consider that other palates may discern things in these beers that you do not. Not all things you cannot appreciate are the result of foolish people chasing a fad or lazy brewers employing good marketing. My 0.02

#115 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:19 AM

I would say that anyone adding flour to purposely make haze is akin to those that would add food coloring to mimic a superior product.  the haze is supposed to be an indicator of a large amount of dry hopping and the associated young age of the beer.

#116 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:45 AM

If you didn't notice it when tasting those beers then there is apparently no benefit... to you. However you might want to consider that other palates may discern things in these beers that you do not. Not all things you cannot appreciate are the result of foolish people chasing a fad or lazy brewers employing good marketing. My 0.02

Of course I realize that different people like different things and I wasn't dissing that.  I was asking an honest question...what is the benefit of the haze?  I'm told it's for mouthfeel.  OK, most of these beers certainly are thick.  Just because I don't care for or get it doesn't mean that others shouldn't.

#117 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:52 AM

to be fair I don't necessarily look for haze or anything.  and when I think of new England IPA I basically think of something that is moderately bitter, light in color without too much crystal and really loaded up with hops.  the smooth/rich mouthfeel is there as well.  the fact that they are hazy isn't actually important to me.  I only care about the experience of drinking it, not looking at it.

#118 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:59 AM

I'd also say I don't really care if this becomes an IPA sub-category or not.  they are IPAs and they are good.  I know it's "played out" now but HT changed my brewing life for sure.  really blew my mind.

#119 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18077 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 10:22 AM

I'd also say I don't really care if this becomes an IPA sub-category or not.  they are IPAs and they are good.  I know it's "played out" now but HT changed my brewing life for sure.  really blew my mind.

It was even better, IMO, back before 2010 at the brewpub.  That brings up a question, it has been said in this thread, or one about the same topic, that these beers are a fad.  At what point is it not a fad?  The Alchemist keeps growing so much they are building a second brewery.  Hill Farmstead has expanded several time in the last few years and Tree House brewing is 3 years old and the 30 BBL brewery they installed a year ago is now too small for demand and they are also building a new brewery.  So when is a "fad" no longer a "fad."

It has also been said elsewhere that they customer does not know the beer is bad(flawed) and they breweries are doing a disservice to the customer.  In the end, if the customer is happy with what they are drinking and keeps going back for more what does it matter what anyone else thinks?

I think many, myself included, have tried to convince people of why the beer is good or why it is not.  In the end the customers are the ones that make the finial decision and what my opinion or anyone else's will not change that.  Seeing my local place sell out weekly of 240-300bbls of beer it seems people here like it.

#120 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16694 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 01:18 PM

Of course I realize that different people like different things and I wasn't dissing that.  I was asking an honest question...what is the benefit of the haze?  I'm told it's for mouthfeel.  OK, most of these beers certainly are thick. 

What's the benefit of clear beer? The benefit is in the mind of the end user. Both clear beer and hazy NE pales/IPA are the result of deliberate choices made by the brewers. It's been mentioned many times before but the haze is a byproduct of a recipe and process that seeks to deliver that mouthfeel paired with extremely fresh dry hop character. The character is different than what you get with a more standard process and my gut feeling is that it is a result of the haze binding up a lot of flavorful hop compounds that otherwise drop out either absolutely or selectively. 

As another example of varied perception among tasters, I have never found the mouthfeel to be thick, as you called it. To me it is actually quite light and airy. It does not exist with low or no carbonation. The carbonation seems expansive, light, airy, and mouth filling which obviously many people have found pleasant. I have never experienced that mouthfeel with any other process. If you brew with a process that prevents the haze from forming you will not get the same mouthfeel and you will not get the same dry hop character. It will be different.

Just because I don't care for or get it doesn't mean that others shouldn't.

You have suggested that brewers at these breweries beers are lazy. You have remarked that these wildly popular beers are just a gimmick. You employed multiple platforms to state your thoughts before ever tasting a fresh example of the style. It sure sounds like your trying to sway someone's opinion.

Edited by neddles, 19 April 2016 - 01:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users