151 replies to this topic

#41 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 01:00 PM

3711?  did you really mean that or 1318?

#42 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16642 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 01:05 PM

3711?  did you really mean that or 1318?

I meant 3711. Different source of mouthfeel enhancement and different mouthfeel than what I get from 1318 in a hoppy beer. Here's Wyeast's 3711 description

A very versatile strain that produces Saison or farmhouse style beers as well as other Belgian style beers that are highly aromatic (estery), peppery, spicy and citrusy. This strain enhances the use of spices and aroma hops, and is extremely attenuative but leaves an unexpected silky and rich mouthfeel. This strain can also be used to re-start stuck fermentations or in high gravity beers.

Edited by neddles, 01 April 2016 - 01:06 PM.

#43 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 01 April 2016 - 01:28 PM

Just my opinion on the topic.

ETA - I never liked black IPAs anyway.

Everyone is different but I have not had that reaction to any of these beers.  I also do not find the ones I am buying to be yeast derived.

At least around here most of the IPA's tend towards the west coast variety. So most of the super cloudy versions I've had have been homebrew. That might have a little something to do with it.

Edited by SchwanzBrewer, 01 April 2016 - 01:28 PM.

#44 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 01 April 2016 - 01:40 PM

I don't know the science Denny but my suspicion is that in these beers a permanent haze in being created with the combination of hop polyphenols (tannins) and protein from the malt. That is certainly going to give you a different mouthfeel than that of a high FG or a mouthfeel enhancing yeast like 1450 or 3711. It's not the same mouthfeel you are thinking. Why the hop character comes across so fresh and juicy in these beers is not entirely clear to me but I have no doubt it has something to do with the haze as well. Perhaps the hop oils are being trapped or incorporated chemically in the haze somehow. I cannot say for sure. How much the strain of yeast plays a role I don't know but I can say the haze is produced in my brewery post flocculation. The beer picture I posted above was made with 1318 and it had dropped clear before being dry hopped.

I am going go out on a limb to predict Denny won't like the beers he is being sent. For several reasons but a big one will be because of the fruity hop presentation (and he will be biased because already knows there's English yeast in there too!)

I'm definitely not a fan of fruity hops, but I will give them an honest chance.  I'm just interested in the flavor and maybe I'll prove myself wrong on fruity hops and English yeast.  And like I keep saying, hazy doesn't bother me much.  But judging from the pics I see a lot of these beers have gone way beyond haze. And the fact that some seem to be brewing for haze/sludge more than anything else is what makes me call it a fad.

#45 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 02:18 PM

Pictures can be deceiving too.

#46 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 01 April 2016 - 02:35 PM

What about this?

NOphJkP.jpg

#47 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 01 April 2016 - 02:38 PM

What about this?

NOphJkP.jpg

holy hell!

#48 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 01 April 2016 - 02:54 PM

holy hell!

Yeah.  I'm seeing a lot of them that look like that.  Way beyond haze.

#49 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 01 April 2016 - 03:02 PM

What about this?

No thanks.  That's just stupid.  If the ABV was lower it would probably make a nice starter for a batch.

#50 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16642 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 03:17 PM

What about this?

NOphJkP.jpg

I heard an interview with this brewer and he talked about his process. I cannot say what other breweries are doing for sure but I think this guy's process is an outlier. He seems to think he is keeping the yeast in suspension and if that is the case I would be cautious about consuming much of it. Plus, he's in Ohio! 

I haven't had the beer pictured so I won't say what it is like. There are plenty of bad examples of all styles of beer to be found out there.

#51 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 03:17 PM

Yeah. I'm seeing a lot of them that look like that. Way beyond haze.

The ones I have look nothing like that. Heck, Ohio is not even the east coast 😁

#52 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49860 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 01 April 2016 - 03:34 PM

I can see some of these new beer geeks drinking Big Sprang as their first Kolsch and thinking they are like that. Then one day notice a Reisdorf on the shelf buy it and think it is a poor representation of the style.

Beer advocate Ratings for Kolsch:
Big Sprang=4.35
Reissdorf=3.84

Most of the North American consumers don't get Reissdorf freah, so that can kind of make sense, but I know what you mean.

#53 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 01 April 2016 - 04:07 PM

Most of the North American consumers don't get Reissdorf freah, so that can kind of make sense, but I know what you mean.

That and the Trillium beer does not resemble a Kolsch so if rated to style it would be pretty low. Then again someone at BA called it a Kolsch the brewer just says Kolsch inspired.

I heard an interview with this brewer and he talked about his process. I cannot say what other breweries are doing for sure but I think this guy's process is an outlier. He seems to think he is keeping the yeast in suspension and if that is the case I would be cautious about consuming much of it. Plus, he's in Ohio! 

I haven't had the beer pictured so I won't say what it is like. There are plenty of bad examples of all styles of beer to be found out there.

i have heard good things about them despite the dumb name, but yeah that is not what the style should look like.

#54 cavman

cavman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 01 April 2016 - 04:15 PM

The ones I have look nothing like that. Heck, Ohio is not even the east coast

I doubt anything your sending him with look anything like that. That looks like someone seen a bad pic of a trillium beer and aimed for that.

#55 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49860 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 01 April 2016 - 05:47 PM

just an FYI: I can't see any of the pics in this thread right now so take that into consideration when I respond :)

around here there is what I would nearly call an obsession with getting super hoppy beers among the craft beer snobs. these are the people who think if you don't drink a HT within a few days of it being canned that it's no longer any good (I have to disagree, I think it's good for quite some time!). I suspect the idea that you want to get your heavily dry hopped beer out the door as fast as possible is combining with this obsession with drinking very young hoppy beers to create the perfect storm of dry hop haze.

Interestingly, around here, a lot of very well informed beer folks have been talking very seriously about these beers benefitting from a "can rest" of a couple weeks before they are at their peak.

holy hell!

HT is not like that.

Adding flour?!
WTF?!!!
No... Just no

#56 cavman

cavman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 01 April 2016 - 05:58 PM

Interestingly, around here, a lot of very well informed beer folks have been talking very seriously about these beers benefitting from a "can rest" of a couple weeks before they are at their peak.
HT is not like that.
Adding flour?!
WTF?!!!
No... Just no

I have had batches of heady where it was incredible on canning day, others came into their own with a week or so.

#57 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19061 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 01 April 2016 - 11:09 PM

What about this?

NOphJkP.jpg

Fail.

#58 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 02 April 2016 - 05:12 AM

Yeah.  I'm seeing a lot of them that look like that.  Way beyond haze.

I mean, that looks like the first pull off of a dry hopped keg.

#59 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 02 April 2016 - 09:01 AM

The ones I have look nothing like that. Heck, Ohio is not even the east coast

So he can't brew a NE style IPA?

#60 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 09:53 AM

So he can't brew a NE style IPA?

Sure but if you want to talk about NE style beers how about some that are actually from New England.

Someone in Montana can brew a lambic but if I want to know what it should be like I would try one from Belgium. Just my feelings.

Edited by drez77, 02 April 2016 - 10:08 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users