70 replies to this topic

#61 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53911 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 12:46 PM

Ken, did you ever make this again with the 2352? Do you still have 2352 up and running? I pulled my smack pack of it out to build it up I think I am going to make a Helles with it. Thoughts on 2352 or using it in a Helles?

Timely. My keg of dunkel blew last week and I replaced it with a keg of my version of New Glarus Two Women which had been lagering since 11.15.15! I also just used my blob of 2124 for a record-setting 6th time and told myself that 2352 was next. It is, indeed, next in line for lagers. This weekend I plan to make a West Coast Lager with a swollen pack of 2112 which has been ramping up for the past week (the date was June of 2014 or something) and then the 2352 will be made in a 2L starter. I have some recipes already lined up for it... a pale bock, the dunkel again, possibly a helles and some sort of Dos Equis Amber/Negra Modelo kind of thing (think Dunkel-light). As for the helles you mentioned... Augustiner makes a GREAT dunkel and a GREAT helles so I think those two must be attempted since 2352 is supposed to be Augustiner's yeast.

#62 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53911 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 03:12 PM

I just went downstairs to look at the recipes I had for the 2352. I forgot about a beer that a good German brewer in our FB group mentioned. He was talking about making an authentic "Festbier" and said it's as simple as 50% pilsner, 50% German dark munich (the 9-12L stuff), one addition of Hallertau at 60 minutes to get you to 25-27 IBUs and a suitable yeast. I'm a sucker for any beer that is that simple to make so I have that recipe ready to go as well. I also have my standard helles recipe ready for the 2352 as well.

#63 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16608 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 08:00 PM

All those beers sound great. I really want to knock out a Helles that I can lager for a good while waiting for spring weather. Is your preferred Helles recipe still Pilsner plus 2# vienna, and a dash of melanoiden?

#64 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53911 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 08:19 PM

All those beers sound great. I really want to knock out a Helles that I can lager for a good while waiting for spring weather. Is your preferred Helles recipe still Pilsner plus 2# vienna, and a dash of melanoiden?

Lately I've been going back to the recipe on my site which is 8 lbs of pils, 12 ounces each of Vienna and Munich light and 4 ounces of Carafoam. An ounce or so of Hallertau or Spalt (around 3%) as a FWH and then an ounce of Hallertau around 3.2% for 60 and then 2124 usually but 2352 here. I'm kind of jacked up to use the 2352. MtnBrewer got me a sample from the university by him and I made a few beers with it but my control was not as good at the time (temp, pH, water, etc) and I think it will be great to use it again. Good luck with it and report back. Cheers.

#65 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16608 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 06:40 AM

Lately I've been going back to the recipe on my site which is 8 lbs of pils, 12 ounces each of Vienna and Munich light and 4 ounces of Carafoam. An ounce or so of Hallertau or Spalt (around 3%) as a FWH and then an ounce of Hallertau around 3.2% for 60 and then 2124 usually but 2352 here. I'm kind of jacked up to use the 2352. MtnBrewer got me a sample from the university by him and I made a few beers with it but my control was not as good at the time (temp, pH, water, etc) and I think it will be great to use it again. Good luck with it and report back. Cheers.

Thanks. Right now I am leaning toward just Pilsner and 12oz of Best's light munich. Probably just a 60 min addition of hops. Water, I am a little undecided but I am thinking pretty minimal, maybe SO4-25, Cl-40-50 pH closer to 5.2.

#66 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53911 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 06:53 AM

On the water, I filter it and then use about 3g of CaCl in the mash. My source water has 27ppm of sulfate and after the CaCl addition I end up with a chloride number around 70. The small amount of sulfate combined with a relatively low mash temp (150 on my system) creates the "dry finish" that the beer is supposed to have. I typically use the Vienna and Munich malt in the recipe to make sure I'm getting that decent depth and mouthfeel (the chloride is helping with that rounded fullness as well) so that the beer doesn't end up too thin and/or dry. A tough balance, for sure and the water is one of the keys.

#67 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 08:29 AM

I just went downstairs to look at the recipes I had for the 2352. I forgot about a beer that a good German brewer in our FB group mentioned. He was talking about making an authentic "Festbier" and said it's as simple as 50% pilsner, 50% German dark munich (the 9-12L stuff), one addition of Hallertau at 60 minutes to get you to 25-27 IBUs and a suitable yeast. I'm a sucker for any beer that is that simple to make so I have that recipe ready to go as well. I also have my standard helles recipe ready for the 2352 as well.

I like the sound of that beer.  I like it a lot.

#68 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53911 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 08:35 AM

I like the sound of that beer.  I like it a lot.

Right? Many people much smarter than me have told me to keep it simple. Yet I see Oktoberfest or Festbier recipes that contain aromatic, biscuit, caramunich, melanoidin, victory and the list goes on... and I am as much to blame as anyone because I'll put 2 ounces of aromatic into a beer like this without even thinking about it. But when I read this recipe I liked it immediately.

#69 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 08:40 AM

Right? Many people much smarter than me have told me to keep it simple. Yet I see Oktoberfest or Festbier recipes that contain aromatic, biscuit, caramunich, melanoidin, victory and the list goes on... and I am as much to blame as anyone because I'll put 2 ounces of aromatic into a beer like this without even thinking about it. But when I read this recipe I liked it immediately.

I am still a hophead at heart but really coming around to the lager side.  The dunkel I have on tap now is great and everyone loves it.  I can see throwing a beer like this together and it really being a crowd pleaser.

#70 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16608 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 09:12 AM

I am still a hophead at heart but really coming around to the lager side.  The dunkel I have on tap now is great and everyone loves it.  I can see throwing a beer like this together and it really being a crowd pleaser.

Everyone loves a well made lager. Some people just don't know it yet. I agree that 50/50 beer sounds very simple and quaffable.

#71 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53911 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 10:14 AM

Everyone loves a well made lager. Some people just don't know it yet. I agree that 50/50 beer sounds very simple and quaffable.

To me, it's a good case of choosing the correct yeast. The grain & hop schedule is so straightforward that yeast selection becomes much more important. I don't see a lot of 'bad choices' (2124, 2308, 830, 838, 833, 2206, 2352, 820, etc) but there may be some 'better choices' in there. I think the 2352 is going to end up being VERY similar to beers made with 2308.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users