#21 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53516 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 01:51 PM

Any reason not to use 2124?

No. No reason at all and I say that because 2124 is probably my favorite yeast of all time. I have narrowed down my lager yeast strains to 2308 and 2124. You can pretty much make any lager you want with those two strains and they are quite different. I have 2352 Augustiner coming up and plan to make another batch of this dunkel and I also have 2278 and plan to make some Czech lagers with that. But 2124 and 2308 get the most mileage here. If you make it with 2124, let us know how it comes out. Then... try it sometime with 2308 and compare the two. Cheers.

#22 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 19 January 2016 - 04:21 PM

I figured so Ken. I use 2124 for most my lagers too. I don't have much opportunity to drink Munich Dunkel. It's rare to find one around here but I like them.

#23 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 19 January 2016 - 04:25 PM

I figured so Ken. I use 2124 for most my lagers too. I don't have much opportunity to drink Munich Dunkel. It's rare to find one around here but I like them.

I really, really like KC Bier Company's Dunkel.  It's on tap at a few places around here too.

#24 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53516 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 04:33 PM

I really, really like KC Bier Company's Dunkel.  It's on tap at a few places around here too.

A well-made dunkel is a thing of beauty. Many standard beer drinkers would look at it and think it was not their cup of tea. I think that a true Munich Dunkel is probably made with a yeast that is not made for pilsner production... so 2308, 2206, maybe 833 or 838, etc... these are "dunkel strains", IMO. That said, I have ignored that and used 2124 in things like festbier, Mexican/American Dark Lagers and Vienna with nice results. Be careful of the amount of Munich you use and be careful with the mash temp and water composition (it should be balanced... not too far towards malty or the overall beer will be overly malty) and you should contain yourself on the hops... something that some homebrewers have a hard time with. The Carafa Special III is also a must, IMO. Cheers.

#25 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 19 January 2016 - 04:49 PM

I grab this beer as my first beer(s) of the evening. Its on tap a few places around here too. 

#26 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 19 January 2016 - 04:52 PM

I grab this beer as my first beer(s) of the evening. Its on tap a few places around here too. 

I have no idea why I've never brewed one.  I need to.

#27 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53516 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 05:04 PM

I have no idea why I've never brewed one.  I need to.

DOOOO EEEEET.

#28 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 05:21 PM

I have no idea why I've never brewed one. I need to.

Brewed my first yesterday.

#29 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 20 January 2016 - 10:06 AM

2124 on the plate! 

#30 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53516 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 11:32 AM

2124 Beer Heaven on the plate!

:lol:

#31 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 21 January 2016 - 05:19 PM

Be careful of the amount of Munich you use and be careful with the mash temp and water composition (it should be balanced... not too far towards malty or the overall beer will be overly malty) and you should contain yourself on the hops... something that some homebrewers have a hard time with. The Carafa Special III is also a must, IMO. Cheers.

I think the amount of Munich Malt you use depends on personal taste. I like a lot of Munich in my Dunkel, but I know that's not to everyone's taste. I also like Carafa, but I use Carafa I for Dunkel and III for Schwartzbier, since III tastes a bit more roasty, to me. My German friends insist that Dunkel and Schwarzbier are the same style, though.

#32 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53516 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 05:23 PM

I think the amount of Munich Malt you use depends on personal taste. I like a lot of Munich in my Dunkel, but I know that's not to everyone's taste. I also like Carafa, but I use Carafa I for Dunkel and III for Schwartzbier, since III tastes a bit more roasty, to me. My German friends insist that Dunkel and Schwarzbier are the same style, though.

I remember some people warning me about the amount of Munich so I erred on the side of "if there's not enough Munich, it will still be a nice, dark lager and I can up the Munich next time". The grain bill here ended up working with dark munich as the majority of the grist but cut with some percentage of pilsner. Is all Carafa dehusked? I thought that the Carafa III was dehusked which made it smoother and less roasty. Not sure where I got that but I have been using it and loving it in everything I've used it in... and I'm not into roasty beers. Cheers.

#33 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 January 2016 - 05:24 PM

I also use a good amount of munich in my dunkel.  Mine is like this:

74% munich malt

22% pilsen + acid malt (replace pilsen with acid as needed to adjust pH)

2.3% carafa spec III

1.3% caramunich III

Edited by Evil_Morty, 21 January 2016 - 05:25 PM.

#34 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 January 2016 - 05:31 PM

Note: I've also done all munich except for a little carafa spec III to adjust color.  I prefer to cut the munich with some pils - i think it makes a nicer beer for my tastes.

#35 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 21 January 2016 - 06:16 PM

I remember some people warning me about the amount of Munich so I erred on the side of "if there's not enough Munich, it will still be a nice, dark lager and I can up the Munich next time". The grain bill here ended up working with dark munich as the majority of the grist but cut with some percentage of pilsner. Is all Carafa dehusked? I thought that the Carafa III was dehusked which made it smoother and less roasty. Not sure where I got that but I have been using it and loving it in everything I've used it in... and I'm not into roasty beers. Cheers.

It's all relative. None of the Carafas are very roasty, I just find III roastier than I. But then you need to use less.

#36 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 06:17 PM

Is all Carafa dehusked? 

If it says carafa special then it is dehusked.

#37 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53516 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 06:24 PM

If it says carafa special then it is dehusked.

Right. Yeah, mine is Carafa Special III. I still have some Midnight Wheat kicking around but I'm really digging the Carafa and I've started to use small amounts to give beers a little extra color with a slight red tint. Good stuff.

#38 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 06:01 AM

I also use a good amount of munich in my dunkel.  Mine is like this:

74% munich malt

22% pilsen + acid malt (replace pilsen with acid as needed to adjust pH)

2.3% carafa spec III

1.3% caramunich III

Looks like I went a bit more Munich heavy on mine

58% Dark Munich

38% Pils

2% Acid Malt

2% midnight Wheat

I should know if a few weeks if it was the right direction or not.

#39 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 January 2016 - 06:02 AM

I used light munich.  What lovibond is dark?

#40 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 06:24 AM

I used light munich.  What lovibond is dark?

9-10L

This is the one I used

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users