40 replies to this topic

#21 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16630 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 09:34 AM

Not really to be honest. I throw in a # of wheat sometimes just to use it up but other than that I like the original best. As for yeast 1450 does a great job with it. I think this will be one of my first beers of 2017 and I will be splitting it between two yeast to experiment. Probably 1272 and 002 but I am not sure yet. Something else I have been pondering is skipping the WP addition and just add it at day 3 in the fermenter and then follow up with the standard DH addition. I have stated before but that seems to be a new trend, just bitter and then save it all for the dry hop. I still think I am going to want a 5 minute addition though. I have never been thrilled with what I get out of the WP even at different temps and times.

Thanks for that. Probably going to make this soon as well with some different hops to try out. The base beer, as you know, is great for hop trials.

#22 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 09:51 AM

Thanks for that. Probably going to make this soon as well with some different hops to try out. The base beer, as you know, is great for hop trials.

it really is.  I have a bunch of hops I should try with it.  I also want to do an version with 34/70.

#23 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 January 2017 - 05:50 PM

1450 version seems like it is going to be great! Not quite carbs yet and I'm still drinking hops. I'll know for sure soon enough.

#24 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 06:04 AM

1450 version seems like it is going to be great! Not quite carbs yet and I'm still drinking hops. I'll know for sure soon enough.

It truly was my favorite version so far.  I  will be brewing this soon and not sure if I will go with 1450 or Imperial Dryhop.

#25 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 January 2017 - 06:58 AM

It truly was my favorite version so far.  I  will be brewing this soon and not sure if I will go with 1450 or Imperial Dryhop.

sweet, sweet irony.  :lol:

#26 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 05 January 2017 - 08:08 AM

sweet, sweet irony. :lol:

This

#27 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:21 AM

sweet, sweet irony.  :lol:

This

I know ... I know .. I came out and took bad the bad things I said about it.

#28 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:26 AM

I know ... I know .. I came out and took bad the bad things I said about it.

well I there is that.  but there is also the fact that this recipe can make something that looks very NEIPA like.  that's what mine looks like right now.  right up denny's alley!  :lol:

#29 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:34 AM

well I there is that.  but there is also the fact that this recipe can make something that looks very NEIPA like.  that's what mine looks like right now.  right up denny's alley!  :lol:

yes, good point on that too.  1450 is actually suggested a lot in the NEIPA circles.

#30 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 January 2017 - 05:37 PM

still not carbed but man do I love this beer.

#31 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 06:55 PM

still not carbed but man do I love this beer.

Love hearing that!

#32 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 06:23 PM

Not really to be honest.  I throw in a # of wheat sometimes just to use it up but other than that I like the original best.  As for yeast 1450 does a great job with it.  I think this will be one of my first beers of 2017 and I will be splitting it between two yeast to experiment.  Probably 1272 and 002 but I am not sure yet.   Something else I have been pondering is skipping the WP addition and just add it at day 3 in the fermenter and then follow up with the standard DH addition.  I have stated before but that seems to be a new trend, just bitter and then save it all for the dry hop.  I still think I am going to want a 5 minute addition though.  I have never been thrilled with what I get out of the WP even at different temps and times. 

Did you ever try it this way yet? I am curious about this myself. I am thinking of doing some experiments with WP vs No WP. Also curious when you add the DH addition to a normal batch?

I plan on brewing a batch this weekend. Standard recipe this time around I believe. Friend asked me for a good Pale to serve at his wedding and I think this beer will be as good as any.

#33 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 25 January 2017 - 06:36 AM

Try 1450 if you can. Otherwise us-05 is still great in this.

#34 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 06:41 AM

I wish my LHBS had it but they are WL diehards.

#35 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 06:42 AM

Did you ever try it this way yet? I am curious about this myself. I am thinking of doing some experiments with WP vs No WP. Also curious when you add the DH addition to a normal batch?

I plan on brewing a batch this weekend. Standard recipe this time around I believe. Friend asked me for a good Pale to serve at his wedding and I think this beer will be as good as any.

First off, I agree that 1450 works really well in this beer.  I have 3 more yeasts that I plan to start playing with come next month.

Matt - I have not done the experiment with the skipped WP addition but it is one that I will be doing soon.  I just had too many hoppy beers on tap to brew this.  Once February gets here I will be doing some 10G split brews with this beer to try out some different yeasts and hopping methods.  While I do love the original beer I have been privy to some info from a commercial brewer on some beers he has that I really like.  I am finding that they are doing no kettle hops and instead adding them all in at WP and then 2 stages of dry hops.  The result is a smooth bitterness but a TON of flavor and aroma.  I will typically DH at the end of fermentation.  I will cold crash and move it to a brite tank with hops and let it sit there for 3-5 days then move to a serving keg. I want to start to dry hop on day 3 of fermentation for the first round and then the second at the end.  It seems that the bio-transforms between the hops and yeast are creating a lot of the flavors that I like.

Makes me happy to know this beer is good enough to serve at a wedding, I hope they enjoy it.

ETA: Now you have me thinking about brewing up a batch of this over the weekend and start trying some things ... One version Conan and one 1318

Edited by drez77, 25 January 2017 - 06:44 AM.

#36 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 08:11 AM

First off, I agree that 1450 works really well in this beer. I have 3 more yeasts that I plan to start playing with come next month.

Matt - I have not done the experiment with the skipped WP addition but it is one that I will be doing soon. I just had too many hoppy beers on tap to brew this. Once February gets here I will be doing some 10G split brews with this beer to try out some different yeasts and hopping methods. While I do love the original beer I have been privy to some info from a commercial brewer on some beers he has that I really like. I am finding that they are doing no kettle hops and instead adding them all in at WP and then 2 stages of dry hops. The result is a smooth bitterness but a TON of flavor and aroma. I will typically DH at the end of fermentation. I will cold crash and move it to a brite tank with hops and let it sit there for 3-5 days then move to a serving keg. I want to start to dry hop on day 3 of fermentation for the first round and then the second at the end. It seems that the bio-transforms between the hops and yeast are creating a lot of the flavors that I like.

Makes me happy to know this beer is good enough to serve at a wedding, I hope they enjoy it.

ETA: Now you have me thinking about brewing up a batch of this over the weekend and start trying some things ... One version Conan and one 1318

Do it. Two batches, two states brewing the same beer!

About the DH plans, I have tried a triple DH once last year. I only did bittering hops with no WP. I then put the first DH in the fermenter when I transferred the wort in. Second was 4 days in and then the third was after fermentation a couple days before I cold crashed. Awesome beer, tons of flavor and aroma! I need to do this again soon.

#37 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 08:46 AM

Okay, here is the version I will brew with some minor tweaks.  At this point I have 1450 in there but that may get changed to 1318 or Conan.

16179457_10155954893739657_2096533108683

Edited by drez77, 25 January 2017 - 09:07 AM.

#38 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 12:18 PM

SO Matt did you end up brewing it?  I went with Imperial Barbarian for the yeast.

#39 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 04:54 PM

I did, brewed it yesterday. Standard recipe, 001 and a 30min boil. One thing I did do different was back down on the sulfates a little to around 100ppm. I think I have been extra sensitive to it lately and wanted to see what I thought of a lowered amount.

#40 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 05:00 PM

I did, brewed it yesterday. Standard recipe, 001 and a 30min boil. One thing I did do different was back down on the sulfates a little to around 100ppm. I think I have been extra sensitive to it lately and wanted to see what I thought of a lowered amount.

Backing down should be fine. I know many NE style brewers do 75 for sulfate and 150 for chloride. I will try it one of these days.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users