136 replies to this topic

#81 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 05:39 AM

I plan to use this yeast in a couple week, belle saison, so I need a full report by then!

#82 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 11 May 2015 - 05:50 AM

I plan to use this yeast in a couple week, belle saison, so I need a full report by then!

sugar - GONE!

the deets:

started with a little over 10 gallons of 1.058ish wort.

3 packs of belle saison straight into the fermentor at 63ish.

set temp controller for 64.5F

on day 2.5 I added in 2.5lbs of sugar bringing to total "OG" up to about 1.070

on day 3 I moved the temp to 67.5F and then over the next few days I kicked it up a couple of degrees every 12 hours until I was at 75F.

then I kept it at 75F until yesterday morning (day 11ish) and have been slowly cooling it off for now.

the hydro sample was yeasty but otherwise probably somewhat mild in terms of saisony flavors.  I can't even be sure how much is yeast and how much is the mixture of spices I put in but yes, this is probably not a really extreme saison yeast.  maybe the results would be different with a warmer initial few days or maybe pitching 2 packets of yeast instead of 3.  according to the packaging I should have been pitching more like 4 packets.

#83 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 06:00 AM

Thanks.  The beer i will be brewing is simple, Pils, Vienna, Wheat and Acid malt.  I plan to just go with 1 pack for a 5g batch and I think I will have a slightly higher initial temp than you did bit finish about the same place. 

#84 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 11 May 2015 - 06:08 AM

Thanks.  The beer i will be brewing is simple, Pils, Vienna, Wheat and Acid malt.  I plan to just go with 1 pack for a 5g batch and I think I will have a slightly higher initial temp than you did bit finish about the same place. 

pretty similar grain bill to what I used.  it should give you a good sense of the yeast.  it will be interesting to compare results.

#85 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 06:15 AM

pretty similar grain bill to what I used.  it should give you a good sense of the yeast.  it will be interesting to compare results.

I will be splitting it with the Omega Saison strain also so I will have 2 beers from it.

#86 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 11 May 2015 - 06:16 AM

I will be splitting it with the Omega Saison strain also so I will have 2 beers from it.

cool!  I assume that is a liquid yeast?

#87 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 06:28 AM

cool!  I assume that is a liquid yeast?

yes it is https://www.omegayea...nsteins-monster

I need to move the "new" fridge to the brewing room and get a hoppy blonde ale brewed and then the saison.

#88 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 11 May 2015 - 07:49 AM

Belle is definitely a great yeast.  It does take a while to drop out.  I'm on my second corny of a 10 gallon batch I made a month ago.  It gets better each day and is now pretty clear.  This weekend I'm doing a side by side with Belle and Yeast Bay Saison blend.  All Motueka, Pilsner, corn, a splash of C40 and a pound of sugar.  Should be around 1.054'ish.  I'll expect my final's to be around 1.004.

#89 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 11 May 2015 - 08:07 AM

Belle is definitely a great yeast.  It does take a while to drop out.  I'm on my second corny of a 10 gallon batch I made a month ago.  It gets better each day and is now pretty clear.  This weekend I'm doing a side by side with Belle and Yeast Bay Saison blend.  All Motueka, Pilsner, corn, a splash of C40 and a pound of sugar.  Should be around 1.054'ish.  I'll expect my final's to be around 1.004.

any suggestion for how long to have it near freezing in the primary before kegging?

#90 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 08:26 AM

Can't help there.  In my neck of the woods, I actually pulled out another point or so putting the fermenter on my workbench in the garage.  I kegged it warm and let it drop out during carbing etc.  All I can say is you should be pleased with the results and don't wait to tap into it due to its clarity.  Lots of good stuff in the murk.....

#91 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 11 May 2015 - 09:49 AM

Can't help there.  In my neck of the woods, I actually pulled out another point or so putting the fermenter on my workbench in the garage.  I kegged it warm and let it drop out during carbing etc.  All I can say is you should be pleased with the results and don't wait to tap into it due to its clarity.  Lots of good stuff in the murk.....

most of my concern was overly yeasty flavors.  if they are still enjoyable I'll probably just keg it this weekend after it's spent a few days cold.

#92 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 09:58 AM

Go for it Evil.  Btw; I do not pick up any banana.  I do not particularly like that or gum or clove in my beer.  Hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised in it's non-presence.

#93 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 11 May 2015 - 10:12 AM

Go for it Evil.  Btw; I do not pick up any banana.  I do not particularly like that or gum or clove in my beer.  Hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised in it's non-presence.

it's sounding great.  one thing it does seem is slightly tart/sour but not in a bad way.  I did put a lot of acidulated malt in this beer so I'm not surprised.

#94 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16642 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 10:17 AM

3724/3725/3726 have all given me some tartness. I find it pleasant and that it goes with what I know about the style.

#95 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 11 May 2015 - 10:37 AM

getting thirsty!

#96 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 May 2015 - 10:27 AM

last night I cleaned, sanitized, assembled and purged the kegs.  one of these nights the kegging will commence!

#97 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 10:38 AM

No better time than the present. Get it done and we could all be over next weekend for a pint.

#98 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 May 2015 - 11:02 AM

No better time than the present. Get it done and we could all be over next weekend for a pint.

probably about a $250 round trip.  I'll pick you up at the airport.

#99 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 16 May 2015 - 05:17 PM

at this point I'm calling it a success.  so smooth and tasty even after just the quick carb in the 2L.

#100 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16642 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 08:48 PM

Very cool. We've really been enjoying ours. How would you assess the spicing? How strong or subtle is it in your batch?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users