#41 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 15 April 2015 - 07:48 AM

seems like a risky move for the yeast companies if they do that but you right that technically it would not be that hard for them to do.  i'm just thinking they might get lawyered.

I don't think there is anything that a brewery could do as long as the yeast company doesn't advertise where it came from. If you look at the yeast strain chart, I doubt all of those breweries voluntarily gave up their yeast. I'd bet that the new small yeast companies harvested some of their products directly from white labs/wyeast vials.

https://www.mrmalty.com/yeast.htm

#42 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 April 2015 - 10:25 AM

there seems to be a question mark there regarding ommegang.

that's a really handy chart though.

#43 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 15 April 2015 - 10:38 AM

I saw that too. From wiki, Ommegang was partially founded by the owners of Duvel Moortgat. It would follow that Ommegang started out with a yeast from Duvel but it probably mutated to what their current house strain is. Pure speculation on my part. Also interesting is that Duvel's yeast is Scottish in origin.

https://en.wikipedia...oortgat_Brewery

[color=rgb(37,37,37);font-family:sans-serif;] the yeast still stems from the original culture of Scottish yeast bought by Albert Moortgat during a business tour of the U.K. just after [/color]World War I[color=rgb(37,37,37);font-family:sans-serif;].[/color]

#44 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 April 2015 - 11:45 AM

I've heard that tale as well.  no idea if it's true or not.

#45 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 19 April 2015 - 10:18 AM

does this water profile seem reasonable for a saison?

httpss://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-rQLN29s3qzM/VTPjVX8CnxI/AAAAAAAASSs/G4p3CSPuW44/s763/SAISON%2520WATER.jpg

eta:  I'm using 1.5 lbs of acid malt to hit this pH.  I'm mashing thin.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 19 April 2015 - 10:19 AM.

#46 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 April 2015 - 06:04 AM

so any thoughts on the water?

also - for 10 gallons I'm using 3lbs of sugar, is that too much?  One thing I've never looked into when they talk about "13% sugar" is that by weight or potential?  I've always done it by weight.

#47 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16614 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 08:27 AM

so any thoughts on the water? also - for 10 gallons I'm using 3lbs of sugar, is that too much? One thing I've never looked into when they talk about "13% sugar" is that by weight or potential? I've always done it by weight.

Im not near my recipe but I believe I did it by weight for this. As far as the water goes I think its fine unless youd like to, in theory, see better flocculation. In that case I would add some CaCl2 to get your Ca above 50 and call it good. Seems like some sulfate in a saison would be good to aid the perception of dryness, cant say for sure at what level that would be ideal. Youre probably fine where you are with that.

#48 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 April 2015 - 09:11 AM

I based the water on the Hainaut boiled water profile in Bru'n water.  it was what martin suggested for a saison over on the HBA forum.

are saisons supposed to be clear?

#49 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 20 April 2015 - 10:33 AM

Haze is fine but there aren't many styles where I want live yeast floating around. The haze in Saison is probably from wheat or spelt.

#50 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 April 2015 - 10:43 AM

is 38 ppm of Ca really that big of a problem?  It would be easy enough to get it up to 50 ppm but what is so magic about 50?

#51 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 20 April 2015 - 11:01 AM

50 seems to be the bottom number that is quoted. It's in the JZ/White Yeast book.

I think what gets missed is this is 50 ppm in the fermenter. So how you treat your mash water vs your sparge and the concentration of the boil needs to be considered for the ppm of calcium available for the yeast.

#52 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 April 2015 - 11:05 AM

50 seems to be the bottom number that is quoted. It's in the JZ/White Yeast book.

I think what gets missed is this is 50 ppm in the fermenter. So how you treat your mash water vs your sparge and the concentration of the boil needs to be considered for the ppm of calcium available for the yeast.

pretty sure the bru'n water number is for the final volume into the fermentor.  that's why they ask you the batch size.

#53 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 20 April 2015 - 11:17 AM

Cool. EZ water is different. If you add minerals to the mash, that's on one line. You can choose to add minerals to the sparge or not. You input that data and it will give you mash + sparge water composition. You'd have to figure out your own concentration based on runnings volume vs post boil volume. Since I no-sparge and always shoot for at least 50 ppm of calcium, it isn't an issue for me. 

#54 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 April 2015 - 11:27 AM

Cool. EZ water is different. If you add minerals to the mash, that's on one line. You can choose to add minerals to the sparge or not. You input that data and it will give you mash + sparge water composition. You'd have to figure out your own concentration based on runnings volume vs post boil volume. Since I no-sparge and always shoot for at least 50 ppm of calcium, it isn't an issue for me. 

for a batch like this I'll only be sparging with 2 gallons of water so that number is pretty much the same since I'll be boiling off a couple of gallons anyway.

#55 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 30 April 2015 - 06:12 AM

I'll be starting the mash on this tonight and commencing with the boil tomorrow morning.  really hoping I like the yeast okay since I'm making 10 gallons :1zhelp:

#56 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 01 May 2015 - 06:31 AM

forgot to put the sugar in the boil :facepalm:

looks like I'll be adding it to the fermentor.  should I wait a couple of days?  how little water can I use to dissolve the sugar?  I guess I could boil it down a little bit.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 01 May 2015 - 06:32 AM.

#57 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 06:32 AM

forgot to put the sugar in the boil :facepalm:

looks like I'll be adding it to the fermentor.  should I wait a couple of days?

I would do it around day 2 or 3 if it was my beer.

#58 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 01 May 2015 - 06:35 AM

I would do it around day 2 or 3 if it was my beer.

that's what I figured.  I've only added to the fermentor a couple of times in the past but it was not nearly this much sugar (2.5 lbs, lowered from 3 lbs since I had to add more acid malt).

#59 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 01 May 2015 - 07:49 AM

I sometimes add sugar after high K. Sort of like giving the wort desert ;)

#60 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 07:51 AM

that's what I figured.  I've only added to the fermentor a couple of times in the past but it was not nearly this much sugar (2.5 lbs, lowered from 3 lbs since I had to add more acid malt).

10G batch?  maybe add it in 2 additions 12 hours apart?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users