#101 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 May 2015 - 04:35 AM

Very cool. We've really been enjoying ours. How would you assess the spicing? How strong or subtle is it in your batch?

I'd say it's pretty subtle.  between the coriander and orange peel there is a detectable orange aspect to it but it's likely to fade.  I can't really pick up any GOP or ginger but it could be there.  the yeast is very clean by saison standards but that's perfect for me.  for other people they would probably feel the beer was lacking in that respect.  it's all about what you like though.  I'll def be making some more beers with this yeast.

#102 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 May 2015 - 12:12 PM

one thing I'm noticing right now, and this could just be the cloudy nature of the beer at this time, is that it's darker than I expected.  Considering the 2.5 lbs of sugar and zero crystal, munich or anything even remotely high in lovibond value.  must be the yeast unless the spices add color.

#103 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16642 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 12:54 PM

one thing I'm noticing right now, and this could just be the cloudy nature of the beer at this time, is that it's darker than I expected.  Considering the 2.5 lbs of sugar and zero crystal, munich or anything even remotely high in lovibond value.  must be the yeast unless the spices add color.

Must be the yeast. Mine is very clear at this point and is very light in color. I would say spot on with the predicted 3.5 SRM.

#104 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 18 May 2015 - 03:33 AM

Must be the yeast. Mine is very clear at this point and is very light in color. I would say spot on with the predicted 3.5 SRM.

must be.  there is still quite a bit in suspension.

#105 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 18 May 2015 - 05:14 AM

I'm happy to hear you like the Belle and I agree with your comment that it brings a milder Saison flavor than that of others; 565 for example. That also appeals to my tastes. My batch has been a real crowd pleaser, so much that I'm making another 10 gallons this coming weekend; 5 with Belle and 5 with Yeast Bay Blend.

#106 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 18 May 2015 - 06:05 AM

I'm happy to hear you like the Belle and I agree with your comment that it brings a milder Saison flavor than that of others; 565 for example. That also appeals to my tastes. My batch has been a real crowd pleaser, so much that I'm making another 10 gallons this coming weekend; 5 with Belle and 5 with Yeast Bay Blend.

I'm tempted to make something this fall with pils, munich and victory.  maybe use some of my own cascades.  it could be kind of a fall harvest farm house ale.

#107 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 06:56 AM

... then you should.... because that sounds really nice :)

#108 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 19 May 2015 - 03:01 PM

this beer is super drinkable.  always leaves me wanting another sip...

#109 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 03:51 PM

So you are liking the belle?

#110 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16642 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 04:06 PM

this beer is super drinkable.  always leaves me wanting another sip...

How would you compare it to the actual Hennepin?

#111 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 19 May 2015 - 04:12 PM

So you are liking the belle?

seems like a solid yeast and the fact that it's dry is a nice bonus.

How would you compare it to the actual Hennepin?

tough to say - it's been a while.  I think it's in the ball park but I'm guessing the yeast difference would keep it from ever being a true clone.

#112 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16642 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 04:24 PM

tough to say - it's been a while.  I think it's in the ball park but I'm guessing the yeast difference would keep it from ever being a true clone.

Absolutely. With mine it is clearly a different beer altogether. 3726 is vastly different from whatever they are using and far less tame. I would use 3726 again or 3724 in this too rather than trying to clone it with their yeast. 

I think it was mic that compared the Belle to a wit yeast. What say you WRT to that?

#113 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 05:35 PM

I'm happy you like the Belle. I think it is very nice for Farmish ales. Keep the experiments coming and so will I

#114 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 May 2015 - 02:38 AM

Absolutely. With mine it is clearly a different beer altogether. 3726 is vastly different from whatever they are using and far less tame. I would use 3726 again or 3724 in this too rather than trying to clone it with their yeast. 

I think it was mic that compared the Belle to a wit yeast. What say you WRT to that?

I think it dries the beer out way too much to be like most wits I've had.

#115 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 May 2015 - 03:23 AM

about 6 people have tried this now and it's all positive feed back so far.  the recipe is pretty standard for a saison but it does say that this yeast is decent.

#116 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 04:31 AM

about 6 people have tried this now and it's all positive feed back so far.  the recipe is pretty standard for a saison but it does say that this yeast is decent.

I am debating right now if I split the batch with this and the Omega strain or just go all Omega. The Omega is a blend of French and Belgian strains and I think will give it the classic saison taste.  I was actually thinking of using the Belle in the white IPA BlKtRe posted.

#117 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 May 2015 - 04:49 AM

I am debating right now if I split the batch with this and the Omega strain or just go all Omega. The Omega is a blend of French and Belgian strains and I think will give it the classic saison taste.  I was actually thinking of using the Belle in the white IPA BlKtRe posted.

I could see it being used in something like that.  just don't bitter the beer too much!

#118 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 05:02 AM

I could see it being used in something like that.  just don't bitter the beer too much!

Evil, if you make this suggestion based on what you're getting from the Belle, I'd kind of agree with you.  Not sure how the flavor of this yeast would bounce off big hops.  Then again I have only used it with Noble varieties

PS, I am happy that you are happy with your recipe.  Belle is a keeper for me.

#119 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 05:07 AM

Evil, if you make this suggestion based on what you're getting from the Belle, I'd kind of agree with you.  Not sure how the flavor of this yeast would bounce off big hops.  Then again I have only used it with Noble varieties

PS, I am happy that you are happy with your recipe.  Belle is a keeper for me.

Do you mean a big bitterness or big hop flavor and aroma?

#120 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 05:17 AM

I meant a big hop flavor and aroma.  But that doesn't mean it wouldn't or couldn't to experiment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users