40 replies to this topic

#21 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54131 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 09:55 AM

That intensely spicy, black pepper, cinnamon, nutmeg thing has me a little concerned about using it for the Alt or an upcoming Vienna so I'm going to hang onto these hops and use them for another reason. I see that Salgebom does not like the Traditions but I have used them for a number of beers and I think they're nice. I will come up with some sort of Pacific Pale Ale or Amber Ale and use the Yakima Magnum in that. These hops don't sound bad to me at all, I just don't think this is the right application for them. Great discussion guys... thanks for the input!

#22 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 11:25 AM

That intensely spicy, black pepper, cinnamon, nutmeg thing has me a little concerned about using it for the Alt or an upcoming Vienna so I'm going to hang onto these hops and use them for another reason. I see that Salgebom does not like the Traditions but I have used them for a number of beers and I think they're nice. I will come up with some sort of Pacific Pale Ale or Amber Ale and use the Yakima Magnum in that. These hops don't sound bad to me at all, I just don't think this is the right application for them. Great discussion guys... thanks for the input!

So Ken - no magnum in the alt? I was hoping you'd try it out so I'd know if I could do it. The only noble hop I've got is Halertau MF which I don't think is classic for alts (maybe it is??).

#23 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 11 September 2009 - 11:44 AM

So Ken - no magnum in the alt? I was hoping you'd try it out so I'd know if I could do it. The only noble hop I've got is Halertau MF which I don't think is classic for alts (maybe it is??).

I think you are just fine to use Hallertau Mittelfruh in an Alt. I think for the Northern Alt Hallertau is fine. For Dusseldorf Alt Hallertau is fine even though Spalt are traditional. If you look up Alt, BJCP Catergory 7 gives an ingredient suggestion for each style. Both descriptions say Noble hops are acceptable even though Dussel Alt is traditional all Spalt Hops.

#24 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 11:45 AM

I think you are just fine to use Hallertau Mittelfruh in an Alt. I think for the Northern Alt Hallertau is fine. For Dusseldorf Alt Hallertau is fine even though Spalt are traditional. If you look up Alt, BJCP Catergory 7 gives an ingredient suggestion for each style. Both descriptions say Noble hops are acceptable even though Dussel Alt is traditional all Spalt Hops.

good to know - all I need is the yeast then :cheers:I just realized I have my next three beers already decided - doh. APA with fresh cascades, Old Ale, Alt

#25 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 11 September 2009 - 11:51 AM

good to know - all I need is the yeast then :cheers:I just realized I have my next three beers already decided - doh. APA with fresh cascades, Old Ale, Alt

Nothing wrong with that at all. I do it often. I am planning to brew a Coffee Oatmeal Stout and a Roggenbeer and follow the Rogen with a Weizenbock as my up and coming beers. There are too many beers to brew no doubts.

#26 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

Comptroller of Teh Beefs and other beeflike animals that are tas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8254 posts
  • LocationGreat Plains, KS

Posted 11 September 2009 - 11:54 AM

My next beer will be an alt but I'm using perle, to each his own I guess.

#27 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 11 September 2009 - 11:55 AM

That intensely spicy, black pepper, cinnamon, nutmeg thing has me a little concerned

Hop Union doesn't mention that profile. They even list Gr Magnum as a sub.https://hopunion.com...ty-databook.pdf

#28 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 12:05 PM

I've used perle in my alts, with great results I might add. I like perle a lot.

#29 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2009 - 12:41 PM

Ive got a bunch of Alts right now using Spalt. Only used it because its what i had. I'm not a huge Spalt guy, what was i thinking? I really prefer Gr. Magnum (Hallertau Tradition too) and Hallertau for my Alts.

#30 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54131 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 12:55 PM

Zym: I'm not going to use the Yakima Magnum in the alt. I need to go back and see what other hops I have, but I think I'll stick with the Tradition on this batch and see what happens. If these were German Magnums, I'd consider it. I don't want to suggest that the Yakima version is not appropriate, it's just not clear to me that these 2 hops are the same. I have used US. Hallertau and US Kents and thought they were very nice and good subs for the German and English varieties. But... I will use them in something else and use only this one ounce (14.4%) throughout the boil. Maybe 6 AAU at 60, 4 AAU at 15 and 4 AAU at 1 or whatever. That way it will be all-YAKIMA-MAGNUM, all-the-time. :angry:

#31 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54131 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 04:38 PM

Wow, speaking of Hallertau Mittelfruh, I just found some at 3.8% at Williams... 6 ounces for $1.65/oz! Ka-ching!

#32 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 11 September 2009 - 04:48 PM

I think Perle is just fine IMO. Used it before and have some more that will end up it an Alt. I think you will be happy.So, got a couple coming down the pipe with Hersbrucker. Liked the smell, but I didn't chew on them. I'm betting they're pretty good too.

#33 Frogman

Frogman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 12 September 2009 - 09:24 AM

All this talk about Magnum hops made me want some. But here is my delima. I went to Hops Direct web site and added some 2008 crop German Magnums(a/a 13-14.0%) to my cart for $12 buck. After doing that I went back to see what other hops I could pick up. As I scrolled down the page I saw they have the new 2009 crop of US Magnums(a/a 10.5%)up for $12 buck too. Now I don't know what to do. Should I buy the year old Germans or the new US. Also what do you think about US Goldings vs East Kent Golding. I did a seach on it and most people say they are very close, what do you guys think???

#34 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 12 September 2009 - 09:39 AM

Should I buy the year old Germans or the new US.

If it were me, I'd go for the new US. I haven't found much difference between the 2.

#35 Salsgebom

Salsgebom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 12 September 2009 - 10:54 AM

If it were me, I'd go for the new US. I haven't found much difference between the 2.

+1. I consider freshness just as much as I do variety. However, '08 hops are just fine if they're stored properly. I just opened up a vacuum sealed 44lb bag of '08 Amarillo and WOW :angry: I've used both Mags for bittering and also don't notice a difference. The intensely spicey, peppery profile I agree with if you're using it later in the boil. But as long as you're using it for bittering, it's got a great balance of hop acids. Chinook is tooo bitter, Simcoe isn't bitter enough, Magnum is juuuuusst right.

#36 pete maz

pete maz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationInman, SC

Posted 15 September 2009 - 10:16 AM

I'm a little late to the party here, but I agree with Denny completely. When the hop crisis hit two yrs ago I ran out & bought a bunch of both US and German Mags. I use only for bittering, so I can't comment for later additions. I haven't found any noticeable difference when bittering with them. I've used them pretty much interchangeably since then. Mine vary a few pts in alpha %, so I just pick whichever one fits my IBU profile better.

#37 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54131 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 10:22 AM

Thanks guys. This beer is going to be brewed next week and I'll be making my 1007 starter later this week. I am waffling now on the use of the Yakima Magnum. I opened the freezer last night and saw that bag of 14.4% hops and thought that maybe I should give it a try. Afterall, this is a brand new recipe and there is no precedent here, so why not? As long as you guys tell me that the YM produces a clean, smooth bitterness, I think I'll go with it. Thanks and cheers!

#38 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 02:44 PM

Thanks guys. This beer is going to be brewed next week and I'll be making my 1007 starter later this week. I am waffling now on the use of the Yakima Magnum. I opened the freezer last night and saw that bag of 14.4% hops and thought that maybe I should give it a try. Afterall, this is a brand new recipe and there is no precedent here, so why not? As long as you guys tell me that the YM produces a clean, smooth bitterness, I think I'll go with it. Thanks and cheers!

You'll get a clean bitterness from it. The decription of Y. Magnum posted earlier in this thread won't apply with the bittering addition...you're not going to get those flavors after a 60 min boil.If it makes you feel better, I use Y. Magnum in all of my Alts, and have won a few 1st place awards with them.

#39 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 15 September 2009 - 02:57 PM

BTW, Magnums store better than the vast majority of hop varietals, their aa content doesn't deteriorate nearly as quickly.

#40 JimNasium

JimNasium

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationSpringfield, MO

Posted 16 September 2009 - 05:18 AM

This thread is a prime example of why I love you guys. Lot's of good information here. Thanks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users