#21 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 10 September 2009 - 03:25 PM

Just took a Hydrometer reading first reading before pitching yeast 1.050, down to 1.020 still some time to go...

Make sure everything is good and tight and give it a swirl... (hmmm, sounds like a first date... :cheers: sorry guys... was just in the Public House)

#22 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 10 September 2009 - 04:45 PM

Make sure everything is good and tight and give it a swirl... (hmmm, sounds like a first date... :facepalm: sorry guys... was just in the Public House)

hehe nice one! :cheers:

#23 Nick Bates

Nick Bates

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationWestland,Mi

Posted 13 September 2009 - 04:23 AM

Make sure everything is good and tight and give it a swirl... (hmmm, sounds like a first date... :P sorry guys... was just in the Public House)

LOL that is great, im gonna take another hydrometer reading today.

#24 Nick Bates

Nick Bates

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationWestland,Mi

Posted 13 September 2009 - 06:15 AM

Just did another hyrdometer reading still at 1.020, my guess is fermentation is done it was at 1.020 the other day as well. My first reading was at 1.050, so im looking at 3.9 4.0 ABV. I was gonna trasfer today into a secondary, let it sit for two more weeks and test before bottling and adding raspberry flavoring. Anyone have any suggestions?Thanks

#25 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 13 September 2009 - 06:20 AM

Just did another hyrdometer reading still at 1.020, my guess is fermentation is done it was at 1.020 the other day as well. My first reading was at 1.050, so im looking at 3.9 4.0 ABV. I was gonna trasfer today into a secondary, let it sit for two more weeks and test before bottling and adding raspberry flavoring. Anyone have any suggestions?Thanks

Nick. I think your idea and plan is just fine. I am fighting the same problem here as well. Have an Irish Red and a Dunkelweizen that went from 1.050-1.020 after a week too. I think you can transfer now and check again at bottling one last time and add your fruit flavoring.

#26 Nick Bates

Nick Bates

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationWestland,Mi

Posted 13 September 2009 - 06:35 AM

Nick. I think your idea and plan is just fine. I am fighting the same problem here as well. Have an Irish Red and a Dunkelweizen that went from 1.050-1.020 after a week too. I think you can transfer now and check again at bottling one last time and add your fruit flavoring.

yea it I was kinda bummed I thought I was gonna get to 4.5 5.0, is there any possiblity I could have some active yeast still and it could start up after I transfer? Maybe just wishful thinking. Either way it sure is smelling really good.

#27 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 13 September 2009 - 06:49 AM

yea it I was kinda bummed I thought I was gonna get to 4.5 5.0, is there any possiblity I could have some active yeast still and it could start up after I transfer? Maybe just wishful thinking. Either way it sure is smelling really good.

Yes you can. I have transferred beers to secondary and come back 2-3 days later and see bubbling in the airlock and some light krausen on top also. You can knock off a few points there as well. Even then if you taste what you currently have and it taste good I seriously doubt someone would dislike it unless it taste excessively sweet. I think you might lose a couple more points. Here's to hoping the best for yours and mine. :P

#28 Nick Bates

Nick Bates

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationWestland,Mi

Posted 13 September 2009 - 06:56 AM

Yes you can. I have transferred beers to secondary and come back 2-3 days later and see bubbling in the airlock and some light krausen on top also. You can knock off a few points there as well. Even then if you taste what you currently have and it taste good I seriously doubt someone would dislike it unless it taste excessively sweet. I think you might lose a couple more points. Here's to hoping the best for yours and mine. :P

I will keep ya updated for sure, As far as being sweet it is going to be a Raspberry Stout... Im just gonna add 1oz of flavor at first at bottling and taste to make sure its not overwhelming. I just want a hint of Rasperry haha.

#29 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 14 September 2009 - 04:39 AM

I will keep ya updated for sure, As far as being sweet it is going to be a Raspberry Stout... Im just gonna add 1oz of flavor at first at bottling and taste to make sure its not overwhelming. I just want a hint of Rasperry haha.

Get a measuring cup. Calculate how much of your batch that is. Get an eyedropper and calibrate it with a graduated cylinder.Most eyedroppers are 20 drops per ml. So if you don't have a way to calibrate the eyedropper, you can use that figure.Calculate the number of drops to one cup of beer and TRY it first.Better to go through a bit of effort than to ruin a whole batch.

#30 Nick Bates

Nick Bates

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationWestland,Mi

Posted 14 September 2009 - 08:15 AM

Get a measuring cup. Calculate how much of your batch that is. Get an eyedropper and calibrate it with a graduated cylinder.Most eyedroppers are 20 drops per ml. So if you don't have a way to calibrate the eyedropper, you can use that figure.Calculate the number of drops to one cup of beer and TRY it first.Better to go through a bit of effort than to ruin a whole batch.

Thanks for the idea Stout-fan, I will try that for sure.

#31 Nick Bates

Nick Bates

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationWestland,Mi

Posted 14 September 2009 - 08:19 AM

quick side note, I found out why my fermentation seemed really week in my primary. When I was transfering i pulled out my air-lock and the rubber gasket in the lid was torn apart so my CO2 had another way out. Time for a new lid.

#32 Nick Bates

Nick Bates

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationWestland,Mi

Posted 19 September 2009 - 05:50 AM

Its been two weeks since my brew day, one week in primary one week in secondary. I usally always do two weeks in secondary, is two weeks needed in the secondary? Any disadvantages or advantages? Any input would help. Thanks againNick

#33 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 06:07 AM

quick side note, I found out why my fermentation seemed really week in my primary. When I was transfering i pulled out my air-lock and the rubber gasket in the lid was torn apart so my CO2 had another way out. Time for a new lid.

you can usually just replace the gasket.

#34 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 06:08 AM

Its been two weeks since my brew day, one week in primary one week in secondary. I usally always do two weeks in secondary, is two weeks needed in the secondary? Any disadvantages or advantages? Any input would help. Thanks againNick

extra time in secondary will help it clear up more but it's up to you really

#35 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 19 September 2009 - 07:16 AM

I think that the length of secondary conditioning is a matter of style and brewer preference. If you brewed a Wheat beer you don't wanna age it for weeks and months but if you brewed a Stout or larger beer then yes a longer period would work well. In addition to that its really about your preference and what you wanna do. I agree with Zym that yes a longer secondary will help clear the beer better but if you held it cold for a few days that would accomplish the task even faster. I think a 2 week secondary is fine in your case. I am sure this will be a good beer for you as well.

extra time in secondary will help it clear up more but it's up to you really

+1

#36 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 07:27 AM

I think that the length of secondary conditioning is a matter of style and brewer preference. If you brewed a Wheat beer you don't wanna age it for weeks and months but if you brewed a Stout or larger beer then yes a longer period would work well. In addition to that its really about your preference and what you wanna do. I agree with Zym that yes a longer secondary will help clear the beer better but if you held it cold for a few days that would accomplish the task even faster. I think a 2 week secondary is fine in your case. I am sure this will be a good beer for you as well.

I agree with everything here. Just a note - if you aren't planning to secondary the beer for a long time an extended primary (~4 weeks) can do a pretty similar job and you don't risk racking the beer off the yeast before the yeast is done doing it's thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users