#1 Nick Bates

Nick Bates

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationWestland,Mi

Posted 07 September 2009 - 05:46 AM

Hey this is my first post on the website name is Nick. Ive been brewing for about a year now love everything about it. I just did a Raspberry Stout, I used the Brewers Best Irish Stout and when i go to bottle im gonna add the Raspberry flavor. I used White Labs Irish ale yeast did a yeast starter for little over 24 hours. Anyway my main question is ive always done primary fermentation for 2 weeks,then transfer to a secondary for two weeks, ive been wondering is there any advantages/disadvantages to doin a two week primary before transfering? Or should I just do a Gravity reading and transfer after a week or so? Any suggestions will help.THanksNick

#2 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 07 September 2009 - 06:19 AM

As a rule, the Hydrometer is always right. Some people even secondary before they hit terminal gravity. This helps by building a layer of CO2 in the Secondary. I don't use secondarys unless I'm adding some kind of flavor, like oak, or possably if I'm dry hopping.

#3 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 07 September 2009 - 06:40 AM

I think the choice to do an extended primary 2 Weeks or such is really personal preference. JayB is correct the hydrometer is what you should use to gauge when fermentation is complete. Once you reach that point you can then decide if you wanna transfer to secondary or let it sit longer in primary. Either way will allow for quality beer. BYO magazine did a story in the recent Sept 2009 magazine about this topic. I think overall there was not a really perceived difference btw the methods.I secondary all my beer and I think it helps with clarity but either way I think its personal preference.Welcome to the board as well. You found yourself a great resource. :cheers:

#4 Nick Bates

Nick Bates

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationWestland,Mi

Posted 07 September 2009 - 11:58 AM

Yea i seen they did that article in BYO that's what got me kinda thinking should I even do it or not, I might try a hydrometer reading in about 6 days and see where its at. I just starting doing a Secondary, I did notice a diffrence in my beer, I did add Irish Moss which should help as well.

#5 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 07 September 2009 - 05:56 PM

Welcome to the board. I typically do not use a secondary, but if I do it's not sooner than 2 weeks, and usually longer. Sometimes, its simply so that I can harvest the yeast for another batch that I'm doing, but want to give it another week to clear out.

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54135 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 06:57 PM

For those who do not care to use a secondary, I think it's a good idea to leave the beer in the primary a little longer. You will be assured that the gravity is down, the yeast will have time to floc so the beer clarifies (raspberry stouts are exempt from this! :cheers: ) and you will have more yeast at the bottom of your primary for harvesting, if that applies. It's fair to say that if your schedule clouds up, leaving the beer in primary for an extended amount of time (3-4 weeks) is still okay. But if I'm in a hurry on a beer and the hydro says the beer is done, I get it into secondary with some gel solution so I can get another batch into primary. Welcome to the board Nick... cheers to you.

#7 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 07 September 2009 - 09:58 PM

Welcome! Lots of great peeps with great knowledge around here. :cheers:When I started kegging and force carbing, I quit doing the secondary. When I bottle, I do transfer to a secondary for at least a couple of weeks to allow the beer to clarify a little before throwing in to the bottle. But being I am a really impatient brewer, I hardly ever bottle now that I got my keggorator up and running. :cheers:The Irish Moss is going to make a huge difference in the clarity too.

Edited by badogg, 07 September 2009 - 09:59 PM.

#8 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9734 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 08 September 2009 - 04:29 AM

Yes welcome. There are many here that share your relatively new obsession.My only question is are you using the raspberry flavoring stuff and have you used it before? I think some of those flavorings have a real medicinal/cough syrup flavor and the raspberry is definitely one. (If yes)If you haven't already, you might get a commercial beer similar to the one you have brewed and dose it drop-wise with the flavoring to make sure you like it and determine the proper dosing.I have quit secondary (aging) in a separate vessel for all but the really long-aged stuff. And really all that means is I put it in the serving keg and set it aside for longer. I am curious baddog, do you really see a diff doing a separate secondary vs just a longer primary on the clarity, or are you concerned with the extra time on the yeast bed?

When I started kegging and force carbing, I quit doing the secondary. When I bottle, I do transfer to a secondary for at least a couple of weeks to allow the beer to clarify a little before throwing in to the bottle. But being I am a really impatient brewer, I hardly ever bottle now that I got my keggorator up and running. :cheers:

#9 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 10:21 AM

I am curious baddog, do you really see a diff doing a separate secondary vs just a longer primary on the clarity, or are you concerned with the extra time on the yeast bed?

Well, I have been playing around with longer primaries vs. no secondary. What I have found is that while it isn't really bad by any means, but it seems that sitting in the primary for an extended time does seem to lend a little bit of a flavor that I can pick up whereas if I transfer to secondary I don't seem to be able to pick up that slight off flavor. I think it is due to sitting on the yeast cake for an extended period, however I do know that there are differing opinions here on the subject. Like I said, it is just a very slight off flavor and probably only because I am scrutinizing my end product so much do I even notice it. I think you were the one that sent me some of your brews from the first beer pass here right? If so, your beer was most excellent and I wouldn't suggest doing anything different. Seriously, it was great. :cheers: :cheers:

#10 jammer

jammer

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3484 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 08 September 2009 - 12:35 PM

Welcome aboard, Nick. There are a lot of great brewers on this site and they are all very helpful and courteous for the most part.I, for one, do use a secondary fermentation for a few different reasons. First, it opens up my primary ferm vessel sooner so i can brew another batch sooner. It also allows me to just rack from the brewpot (after cooling) right on top of the yeast cake, saving a little cash on yeast. I usually start checking hydro readings after about two weeks after primary starts. After racking to secondary, I let it sit for about two more weeks, then start checking gravity readings. Then I rack to keg and force carbonate. My methods are pretty much dictated by the equipment i own/use, so your methods may vary. Just brew the beer you like, the way you like and youll do just fine.

#11 Nick Bates

Nick Bates

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationWestland,Mi

Posted 09 September 2009 - 03:20 AM

My only question is are you using the raspberry flavoring stuff and have you used it before? I think some of those flavorings have a real medicinal/cough syrup flavor and the raspberry is definitely one. (If yes)If you haven't already, you might get a commercial beer similar to the one you have brewed and dose it drop-wise with the flavoring to make sure you like it and determine the proper dosing.

i will be trying that thanks for the idea, I was planning on adding the flavor in alittle at a time when i bottle till i find a good taste, but that will help me determine if i like it or not before i even bottle it.thanks

#12 Nick Bates

Nick Bates

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationWestland,Mi

Posted 09 September 2009 - 03:25 AM

Also this beer was my first with a Starter, I did a starter saturday afternoon brewed sunday afternoon, the yeast has been pitched for about 60 hours, the only activity I have seen is a bunch of airbubbles appear in my airlock, I have not seen any strong movement of the airlock, should I worry?

#13 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 03:27 AM

When I started kegging and force carbing, I quit doing the secondary. When I bottle, I do transfer to a secondary for at least a couple of weeks to allow the beer to clarify a little before throwing in to the bottle. But being I am a really impatient brewer, I hardly ever bottle now that I got my keggorator up and running. :P

I do the opposite. My thinking is that when I keg I want as much yeast out of suspension as possible when I transfer to keg. When I bottle I'd actually like there to be some kicking around in there to ensure a healthy natural carbonation. Sediment in the bottom of the bottle is easy to avoid.

#14 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 09 September 2009 - 08:20 AM

Also this beer was my first with a Starter, I did a starter saturday afternoon brewed sunday afternoon, the yeast has been pitched for about 60 hours, the only activity I have seen is a bunch of airbubbles appear in my airlock, I have not seen any strong movement of the airlock, should I worry?

A couple of things... when you say "a bunch of airbubbles", are the bubbles forcing the little cap up and down? Or are they just a bunch of bubbles just sitting there doing nothing? If its the first, then you are fine. If its the second, then...You are likely still fine. If you pitched a good healthy starter, it is possible that you are finished with the vigorous portion of the primary fermentation. I have frequently missed the "action" because it all occurs while I am asleep or at work. Not a problem. Leave it on the yeast cake for two weeks. If you are paranoid (like many of us are) there is nothing wrong with taking a gravity reading to see where it is at. Come back to it after at least a week and see where it is then as well. The other possibility is that you didn't get a good seal with your fermenter and that the CO2 is finding another way out. It's not a big issue. But... your hydrometer will tell you everything you need to know.

#15 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 08:30 AM

I do the opposite. My thinking is that when I keg I want as much yeast out of suspension as possible when I transfer to keg. When I bottle I'd actually like there to be some kicking around in there to ensure a healthy natural carbonation. Sediment in the bottom of the bottle is easy to avoid.

I can see that for the bottling, but that is why at the end of my transfer to my bottling bucket I kick the racking cane around a little to make sure to get some of that yeast off the bottom and stir it up in the bucket with the priming sugar. You don't need a lot of yeast to get good carb. As for kegging, I rack to the keg and put in the fridge on gas immediately. It clears up really quickly. I do have a bunch of crud at the bottom of the keg when it is all done though, but that is why my dip tubes are cut a 1/4" off the bottom. :P

#16 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 09:25 AM

I can see that for the bottling, but that is why at the end of my transfer to my bottling bucket I kick the racking cane around a little to make sure to get some of that yeast off the bottom and stir it up in the bucket with the priming sugar. You don't need a lot of yeast to get good carb. As for kegging, I rack to the keg and put in the fridge on gas immediately. It clears up really quickly. I do have a bunch of crud at the bottom of the keg when it is all done though, but that is why my dip tubes are cut a 1/4" off the bottom. :P

yeah - I don't want to cut my dip tubes which is why I secondary in a carboy. otherwise I'd age in keg.

#17 Nick Bates

Nick Bates

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationWestland,Mi

Posted 10 September 2009 - 03:22 AM

A couple of things... when you say "a bunch of airbubbles", are the bubbles forcing the little cap up and down? Or are they just a bunch of bubbles just sitting there doing nothing? If its the first, then you are fine. If its the second, then...You are likely still fine. If you pitched a good healthy starter, it is possible that you are finished with the vigorous portion of the primary fermentation. I have frequently missed the "action" because it all occurs while I am asleep or at work. Not a problem. Leave it on the yeast cake for two weeks. If you are paranoid (like many of us are) there is nothing wrong with taking a gravity reading to see where it is at. Come back to it after at least a week and see where it is then as well. The other possibility is that you didn't get a good seal with your fermenter and that the CO2 is finding another way out. It's not a big issue. But... your hydrometer will tell you everything you need to know.

Yea the first thing I thought was that maybe the CO2 was getting out other places as well. its just a bunch of bubbles sitting around doing nothing (lazy Bastards) haha. im going to take a reading on saturday and see where im at.

#18 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 10 September 2009 - 08:13 AM

Yea the first thing I thought was that maybe the CO2 was getting out other places as well. its just a bunch of bubbles sitting around doing nothing (lazy Bastards) haha. im going to take a reading on saturday and see where im at.

I'd take your reading today.

#19 Nick Bates

Nick Bates

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationWestland,Mi

Posted 10 September 2009 - 08:59 AM

Yea I will, ill let you know where it comes in at after I take the reading.

#20 Nick Bates

Nick Bates

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationWestland,Mi

Posted 10 September 2009 - 02:51 PM

Just took a Hydrometer reading first reading before pitching yeast 1.050, down to 1.020 still some time to go...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users