#21 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 January 2015 - 06:15 AM

OK.  I will try it one of these days.  As I said, I have no issues with the other way and the beers seem to dry out fine but new techniques are always good.

I've done sugar additions both ways as well but the conditions are all wildly different so it's tough for me to compare.

#22 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 08 January 2015 - 12:55 PM

Like I said, my evidence is anecdotal. First few times I tried to make higher gravity beers with table sugar or beet syrup I added it to the boil and I didn't get the finishing gravity I wanted. Last three times I've added sugar around day 4 and the beer dried out nicely and finished where it was supposed to. So I boil a little water, just enough to dissolve all the sugar or thin out the syrup, but boiling it is necessary to remove the O2 dissolved in solution. Then I dump it in the fermenter after it cools a little, or right after it's been boiled if it's not that much liquid (won't raise the temp of the beer that much). either stir it in with a sanitized spoon or gently swirl the fermenter.

#23 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 08 January 2015 - 12:58 PM

Adding sugar source 3-4 days in has been my way of drying out a saison.  Keeps body without making beer cloyingly sweet.  No reason it shouldn't work in IPA/IIPA

#24 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 January 2015 - 12:59 PM

Like I said, my evidence is anecdotal. First few times I tried to make higher gravity beers with table sugar or beet syrup I added it to the boil and I didn't get the finishing gravity I wanted. Last three times I've added sugar around day 4 and the beer dried out nicely and finished where it was supposed to. So I boil a little water, just enough to dissolve all the sugar or thin out the syrup, but boiling it is necessary to remove the O2 dissolved in solution. Then I dump it in the fermenter after it cools a little, or right after it's been boiled if it's not that much liquid (won't raise the temp of the beer that much). either stir it in with a sanitized spoon or gently swirl the fermenter.

can sugar water be boiled in the microwave?  does it foam or anything?

#25 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 08 January 2015 - 01:57 PM

can sugar water be boiled in the microwave?  does it foam or anything?

Probably if the container is big enough. Boiling in a mug usually means spillage for me.

#26 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 January 2015 - 01:59 PM

Probably if the container is big enough. Boiling in a mug usually means spillage for me.

I have some big 4 cup pyrex measuring cups.  I guess I could do this in my 5L flask on the stove.  I only asked b/c I hate to use my regular pots and pans for brewing stuff b/c I never know if there is soap or oil/fat residue in them from cooking food.  Thinking about it - I think my parents gave me a small SS pot from 1980something that had never been used which could also work.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 08 January 2015 - 01:59 PM.

#27 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14726 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 11 January 2015 - 02:16 PM

But any additional sugar will result in less body, less malt presence and drier beer.

That's the idea. So many IIPAs are way to sweet and under attenuated.

#28 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 January 2015 - 08:17 AM

So this was developed using a combination of sources.  What do you guys think?

httpss://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-AZRrBmTsRE0/VKA8cCKXzQI/AAAAAAAARrk/Bc3Tj1K03vM/s969/pliny2.jpg

httpss://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-8hVWDwRI7Q4/VKA8cA2QemI/AAAAAAAARro/LeNPBdM9mYE/s1335/pliny1.jpg

OG: 1.070

ferment on US-05 (2-3 packets)

DRY HOPS: 3oz columbus, 2oz cent, 2oz simcoe for 10-14 days and then 1oz columbus, 1oz simcoe, 0.5oz cent, and 0.5oz amarillo for 4-5 days

So I opted to put the sugar right in the boil (15 minutes before flame out).  I'm not really sure why.  Seemed like it would be fine.

The yeast was fermenting at a good rate in less than 24 hours.  I'm fermenting at around 63F (17.2C) +/- 1F (0.5C).  I think as I start to see fermentation peak and start to slow I'll let the temp ramp up to 65 or 66C to make sure this beer dries out enough.  I'm not really sure what to expect the US-05 to do here.

After that I'll put the first round of hops in the primary followed by a 10-14 days of me slowly letting the fermentor cool down followed by turning the freezer back on to really knock everything out of suspension so I can get a reasonably clean rack into 2 kegs.  One of the kegs will get additional dry hops for immediate consumption.  The other keg will get dry hops when the first keg is about gone.

#29 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 08:19 AM

When I use S-05 I start to slowly ramp the temps up after 36 hours.  63-65-66-68-70  Not sure it helps any but that is just my normal process.

#30 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 January 2015 - 08:27 AM

When I use S-05 I start to slowly ramp the temps up after 36 hours.  63-65-66-68-70  Not sure it helps any but that is just my normal process.

Is that 36 hours after you see active fermentation or from pitching the yeast?  right now I'm about 48 hours since pitching and 24+ hours since seeing activity.

#31 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 08:38 AM

Is that 36 hours after you see active fermentation or from pitching the yeast?  right now I'm about 48 hours since pitching and 24+ hours since seeing activity.

Prettty much give or take.  Some times it is closer to 48hours or even past that a bit just because that is how it works out.

#32 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 January 2015 - 08:39 AM

Prettty much give or take.  Some times it is closer to 48hours or even past that a bit just because that is how it works out.

I'll probably kick it up a little tonight.  thanks :)

#33 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 January 2015 - 11:34 AM

fermentation should be pretty slow tonight I would imagine.  due to the vigorous nature of it earlier I had to add some starsan to the airlock (a lot of it got bubbled out in the form of foam on top of the airlock).  it will probably be a good night to add the hops.  I'm actually change the dry hopping schedule slightly.  I've moved some of the first dry hop to the second dry hop.  I'm doing this b/c I want to make sure when I finally tap that second keg I'll be hitting it with enough hops to get it close to the first keg.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 22 January 2015 - 11:47 AM.

#34 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 11:44 AM

There you go!  Get it dry hopped. 

I just shut off the temp control on the IPA I have going so it will drop to 50.  I plan to move it to the bright tank with DH#2 on Saturday.

#35 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 January 2015 - 11:50 AM

There you go!  Get it dry hopped. 

I just shut off the temp control on the IPA I have going so it will drop to 50.  I plan to move it to the bright tank with DH#2 on Saturday.

I'll take a hydro reading tonight.  I'm a little nervous about this beer not finishing dry enough so I probably will hold it at 19C (66F) for at least a few more days before letting it slowly start drifting down towards the ambient temperature in my basement followed by an aggressive cold crash to make sure I don't clog up my racking cane with hops!  so far the beer smells great though!

#36 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 11:55 AM

I'll take a hydro reading tonight.  I'm a little nervous about this beer not finishing dry enough so I probably will hold it at 19C (66F) for at least a few more days before letting it slowly start drifting down towards the ambient temperature in my basement followed by an aggressive cold crash to make sure I don't clog up my racking cane with hops!  so far the beer smells great though!

I did something similar.  I DH'd on Saturday and set it to 65 and just let it start coming down yesterday.  I need to try a sample of this one.

#37 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 January 2015 - 11:56 AM

I did something similar.  I DH'd on Saturday and set it to 65 and just let it start coming down yesterday.  I need to try a sample of this one.

which beer is this again?

#38 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 12:01 PM

Just a little IPA.

75% Two Row

20% wheat

5% carapils

1.25#'s of sugar added to the fermenter

oh and a few hops.  My DH schedule got all messed up but that is OK.

httpss://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10933832_10153681352154657_3785373760557886121_n.jpg?oh=6d5777164c2a3c3de2b211bf6daeba10&oe=55684E74

#39 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 January 2015 - 12:05 PM

fermentables sound great!  I can't see the image b/c that scontent website is blocked for me at work.

#40 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 12:12 PM

Oh, sorry, that was the hop bill.  It was mostly Nelson, Citra and Centenial.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users