#41 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 03 September 2009 - 08:19 PM

I found a recipe for something called "Pinkus Altbier" which is brewed in N. Germany and it was SRM 3! Very surprising. The minimum SRM for this style (from what I saw) was 11 and I'm at 9. Daniels' book says that using some Crystal is common. Maybe sub out the CaraMunich for something like Crystal 60 or 80? I don't want to use RB, Chocolate or Carafa (it's not really appropriate anyway) because of the roastiness.

I've had Pinkus Alt is a very nice beer. It is more like a Dusseldorf Alt, which are typically light in color and surprisingly hoppy. I have an alt lagering right now that has an SRM around 4 and 51 IBU's.

#42 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2009 - 09:14 PM

Ken, Please report your results.......

I make the assumption that low-floccing = high-attenuating... if for no other reason than the fact that the beer is in suspension so long.

So the advice of swirling comes to mind. Especially in the 2nd week. Fwiw...I use Super Moss in the Kettle, no Gel in secondary, just a cold lager (cold condition) for 4-5 weeks. I end up with brilliant clarity everytime. But i also recirc. towards the end of the mash. (Arguably different methods can create the same results)

The fact that you can ferment it so cool makes it a little more flexible too. You can make some very clean beers with this yeast.

*Cough*....Ive made some nice IpA's with it too. *Cough*

I spoke with the head brewer from French Broad and he gave me some insight to their North German Alt. A heavy hand of Munich, like ~55% WL Kolsch Yeast feremented at 56dF Spalt

True Beans...Go got talk to the next Brewery of Alts down the road, and you may get a different view of the beer. Tho I have never been to verify myself, Ive heard thru more than one person that Alt is a perceived style in Germany.

Edited by Blktre, 03 September 2009 - 09:27 PM.

#43 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 03 September 2009 - 10:06 PM

So the advice of swirling comes to mind. Especially in the 2nd week.

If it settles out, sure but it's unlikely that you'll need to due to the low flocculation.

#44 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 03:13 AM

1007 sounds like it would have been a really cool yeast to use in my heavy on the munich AIPA that I've got right now.

#45 VolFan

VolFan

Comptroller of teh spr0ts

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13044 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 04 September 2009 - 03:57 AM

True Beans...Go got talk to the next Brewery of Alts down the road, and you may get a different view of the beer. Tho I have never been to verify myself, Ive heard thru more than one person that Alt is a perceived style in Germany.

Supposedly they spent a few weeks in Germany researching their recipe. I don't know if they developed the recipe after talking with other breweries over there but I assume they did. He told me that night at the Brew Fest roughly what was in it, but I was drinking and can't remember all of it. When I emailed him he said I had those three ingredients right. I'm really curious to see the rest of it

#46 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2009 - 08:16 AM

If it settles out, sure but it's unlikely that you'll need to due to the low flocculation.

But all the yeast is in the head. Just the opposite of a hi floccer. Its a big time top cropper. Ive had better luck swirling towards the end to re suspend the majority of the yeast.

#47 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 09:30 AM

But all the yeast is in the head. Just the opposite of a hi floccer. Its a big time top cropper. Ive had better luck swirling towards the end to re suspend the majority of the yeast.

The head usually settles back into suspension in my experience. Swirling is usually done to rouse the yeast from the bottom of the fermenter.

#48 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2009 - 09:40 AM

The head usually settles back into suspension in my experience. Swirling is usually done to rouse the yeast from the bottom of the fermenter.

Not mine.

#49 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 09:53 AM

Not mine.

even after an extended period of time?

#50 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2009 - 10:49 AM

even after an extended period of time?

Ive had the rocky head stay on top after 2 weeks and have reached FG. Ive also had it fall as well. Just makes sense to me to swirl a top cropping yeast.

#51 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 11:44 AM

This is one of those yeasts that will create a big, pillowy krauesen on top of the beer and when you go back to see what's going on 10-14 days later, it still may have a big, rocky head on it even though the airlock has been still for a few days. It's an unusual yeast to be sure. There are a few others that do this too and I would agree that once you get to that point, a gentle swirl will help break down that foam and it will eventually drop as much as this strain will allow itself to drop. There will almost never be a solid cake of yeast at the bottom... if anything, there will just be a slushy, powdery (as Andy has said) mass at the bottom that could easily get sucked up into your siphon if you weren't careful. I've made a number of great beers with this yeast and I have gotten them all very clear with whirfloc/quick chill/rack-from-brewpot-to-primary/gel/cold-conditioning. The Kölsch (made w/2565... another low floccer) I sent to secondary 5 days ago is already looking ultra-clear. Cheers & Happy LD weekend!

#52 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 12:11 PM

This is one of those yeasts that will create a big, pillowy krauesen on top of the beer and when you go back to see what's going on 10-14 days later, it still may have a big, rocky head on it even though the airlock has been still for a few days. It's an unusual yeast to be sure. There are a few others that do this too and I would agree that once you get to that point, a gentle swirl will help break down that foam and it will eventually drop as much as this strain will allow itself to drop. There will almost never be a solid cake of yeast at the bottom... if anything, there will just be a slushy, powdery (as Andy has said) mass at the bottom that could easily get sucked up into your siphon if you weren't careful. I've made a number of great beers with this yeast and I have gotten them all very clear with whirfloc/quick chill/rack-from-brewpot-to-primary/gel/cold-conditioning. The Kölsch (made w/2565... another low floccer) I sent to secondary 5 days ago is already looking ultra-clear. Cheers & Happy LD weekend!

interesting stuff - is knocking the krausen back down really necessary?

#53 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2009 - 12:48 PM

interesting stuff - is knocking the krausen back down really necessary?

Hahaha.....it at least makes me feel better :blink:

#54 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 01:31 PM

I'm sure it's not necessary. I do it just to get it out of the way and to make sure the things settle before I rack it out of primary. I'll take some shots of this 1007 fermentation when it happens in 2 weeks or so. Nothing like shots of actively fermenting yeast to kick start your day. :blink:

#55 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 03:14 PM

I'm sure it's not necessary. I do it just to get it out of the way and to make sure the things settle before I rack it out of primary. I'll take some shots of this 1007 fermentation when it happens in 2 weeks or so. Nothing like shots of actively fermenting yeast to kick start your day. :devil:

Why the sarcasm? I think it's a great way to start your day :blink:

#56 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 09:09 PM

Why the sarcasm? I think it's a great way to start your day :devil:

You're totally right. Let's all kick start our day with actively fermenting yeast, shall we? :blink:

#57 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 03:52 AM

You're totally right. Let's all kick start our day with actively fermenting yeast, shall we? :blink:

now the eye rolling?? you are killing me ken! :devil:

#58 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2009 - 03:02 PM

Fwiw...my Dussy using the grain bill i posted and the 60,30,20 hop additions blew under an hour of being placed on tap at our annual Brewfest. And there was 20 other beers to choose from at the time. Every 1.5 hrs we rotate all the taps. Pretty cool listening to the crowd rave about your beer and you hardly know anyone of the guests.....But, i heard rave's from the crowd from alot of other beers too.

#59 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 06:24 PM

Fwiw...my Dussy using the grain bill i posted and the 60,30,20 hop additions blew under an hour of being placed on tap at our annual Brewfest. And there was 20 other beers to choose from at the time. Every 1.5 hrs we rotate all the taps. Pretty cool listening to the crowd rave about your beer and you hardly know anyone of the guests.....But, i heard rave's from the crowd from alot of other beers too.

Nice, Andy. But doesn't everyone rave about your beers??? :P :rolf:

#60 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2009 - 08:18 PM

Nice, Andy. But doesn't everyone rave about your beers??? :D :covreyes:

Thanks, but i dunno about that. There are alot of good brewers out there i try to keep up with.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users