74 replies to this topic

#41 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 09:47 AM

Yes! Whenever anyone talks about making a faux Lager with something like S05, I tell them to use 2124 or 830 and they'll have better success. Heck, 2124 is probably a better choice than S05 for anything that you might consider S05 for, if you are considering it because it is clean. If I made "clean" Ales, I'd consider it as a house yeast.

Good to know.  I take it you are in the S05 is no good camp?

#42 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 July 2015 - 09:49 AM

I don't quite get that camp.  maybe not the most interesting yeast but it more than makes up for it in convenience.

#43 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 21 July 2015 - 06:11 PM

Good to know. I take it you are in the S05 is no good camp?

I don't quite get that camp. maybe not the most interesting yeast but it more than makes up for it in convenience.

Ive been avoiding this conversation for awhile due to backlash but WTH. My $.02:
For a long time I used S05 in everything and would have said it was very clean and neutral. I would read about people talking about lager yeast character but I could never pick it out no matter how hard I tried.
I began to brew more and more lagers until the point that I hadnt fermented an ale in years. I began to be able to taste yeast character in my and commercial beer. One night I opened my beer fridge and grabbed an old SNPA out of it. Opened it and it had a horrible yeast character. I figured it was too old and dumped it. Next time I was at the liquor store I grabbed a fresh bomber of it. Same result. WTF?

I tried a SN Harvest ale a month or so ago. Same result. Local brewery uses Chico as well. I got one at a restaurant--tasted very unclean. Guy across from me got one of their beers, tasted it and said he didn't like it. His wife said it tasted like "dirt" Went back to mine and I concurred. Chico tastes like dirt to me now. I dont know how this happened but it was after at least a year of not drinking anything with Chico in it. English ale yeast doesn't taste like this to me.

You can say I'm crazy, stupid, whatever, but I sure as hell didn't want this to happen. Makes me wonder how many BMC drinkers taste craft beer fermented with Chico and don't know how to put this into words other than "this tastes like crap"

I don't quite get that camp. maybe not the most interesting yeast but it more than makes up for it in convenience.

Ive been avoiding this conversation for awhile due to backlash but WTH. My $.02:
For a long time I used S05 in everything and would have said it was very clean and neutral. I would read about people talking about lager yeast character but I could never pick it out no matter how hard I tried.
I began to brew more and more lagers until the point that I hadnt fermented an ale in years. I began to be able to taste yeast character in my and commercial beer. One night I opened my beer fridge and grabbed an old SNPA out of it. Opened it and it had a horrible yeast character. I figured it was too old and dumped it. Next time I was at the liquor store I grabbed a fresh bomber of it. Same result. WTF?

I tried a SN Harvest ale a month or so ago. Same result. Local brewery uses Chico as well. I got one at a restaurant--tasted very unclean. Guy across from me got one of their beers, tasted it and said he didn't like it. His wife said it tasted like "dirt" Went back to mine and I concurred. Chico tastes like dirt to me now. I dont know how this happened but it was after at least a year of not drinking anything with Chico in it. English ale yeast doesn't taste like this to me.

You can say I'm crazy, stupid, whatever, but I sure as hell didn't want this to happen. Makes me wonder how many BMC drinkers taste craft beer fermented with Chico and don't know how to put this into words other than "this tastes like crap"

#44 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 21 July 2015 - 07:37 PM

interesting.

I used it at 65°F for a steam beer last fall, clean as can be

I am going to make a German IPA with the Cake from this lager with it :D

#45 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16630 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 07:38 PM

I'm not sure you are crazy, at least not for this.  Unique perspective actually and one I'll have to keep in mind going forward.

I am going to make a German IPA with the Cake from this lager with it :D

I'm listening.

#46 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 21 July 2015 - 07:43 PM

I'm not sure you are crazy, at least not for this.  Unique perspective actually and one I'll have to keep in mind going forward.

I'm listening.

IPA like beer with 100% German ingredients 

base of Pils/Munich/Carared to 1.065

Magnum/Polaris/Mandarina Bavaria lots of late hops

2124 yeast at 65°F

experimental beer

#47 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16630 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 07:49 PM

IPA like beer with 100% German ingredients 

base of Pils/Munich/Carared to 1.065

Magnum/Polaris/Mandarina Bavaria lots of late hops

2124 yeast at 65°F

experimental beer

Dude.

How do you intend to use that Polaris?

https://thebeerengin...tober-brew-day/

#48 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 21 July 2015 - 07:53 PM

Dude.

How do you intend to use that Polaris?

https://thebeerengin...tober-brew-day/

no idea yet

it's an oily bugger

#49 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16630 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 07:57 PM

no idea yet

it's an oily bugger

Yeah that's why I ask. It's so extreme hard to know what to do with it.

#50 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 21 July 2015 - 07:58 PM

Yeah that's why I ask. It's so extreme hard to know what to do with it.

I was gonna use it in a SMASH to test but never got there

#51 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 21 July 2015 - 08:02 PM

I've been meaning to brew my Czech IPL again. Mic, wanna do a trade?

QoSUCG8.png

#52 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 21 July 2015 - 08:10 PM

I'll let you know if it's drinkable (Polaris is a mystery)

#53 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 21 July 2015 - 08:17 PM

I'll let you know if it's drinkable (Polaris is a mystery)

I always search on ratebeer for the hop variety to try and get an idea about ingredients I've never used. Searched Polaris and came up with several single hop beers. Sometime you get good reviews, sometimes you get this :)

Aroma of vomit-speckled tinned peaches, wet tissue paper, toffee and pine. Warm orange and stewed green flavour with bittering husk and flowers; soapy, non-specific red and orange gelatinous fruit, buried creamy malt. A bit boozy and unimpressive. Pours muddy red amber with a generous lacing fine off white foam. Too hot and malt heavy for me.

#54 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16630 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 08:18 PM

I was gonna use it in a SMASH to test but never got there

Your brewing season is too short for SMASH experiments! You need results.

#55 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16630 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 08:22 PM

Aroma of vomit-speckled tinned peaches, wet tissue paper, toffee and pine. 

:rolf:

#56 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 21 July 2015 - 08:26 PM

Aroma of vomit-speckled tinned peaches, wet tissue paper, toffee and pine.
:rolf:

That was funny. Also liked the "non-specific red and orange gelatinous fruit" Think he accidentally ate an old Christmas fruitcake wrapped in wax paper?

Edited by chils, 21 July 2015 - 08:26 PM.

#57 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 July 2015 - 03:28 AM

doesn't make you crazy although you seem to be repeating yourself ;)

I feel lucky that chico doesn't taste like dirt to me.  I wouldn't mind something like 1450 in dry form. 

#58 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 22 July 2015 - 03:42 AM

S05 is close enough to 001/1056, to me. I don't actively dislike it, and I've had some great beers made with it, I just rarely use it just because I don't make a lot of beers that would be better with that than another yeast. I primarily make beers where I want Ale yeast character, and use British yeast, or ones that I want clean so I use a Lager yeast. The cases where I want to use a clean Ale yeast, like an Alt, I prefer the character and performance of WLP011, but I don't think I'd use it in an IPA.

#59 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 18 December 2015 - 06:48 PM

I was gonna brew my IPL but I've not had this beer on tap in awhile and have been missing it. This will be my original recipe with all floor malt, Vienna and Carared w/o the BM pils in there. MJ M85 yeast harvest, mashout at 170F sitting all night. Resting at 145F beta right now.

#60 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16630 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 07:27 PM

I was gonna brew my IPL but I've not had this beer on tap in awhile and have been missing it. This will be my original recipe with all floor malt, Vienna and Carared w/o the BM pils in there. MJ M85 yeast harvest, mashout at 170F sitting all night. Resting at 145F beta right now.

:chug:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users