60 replies to this topic

#21 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54211 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:55 AM

No need to stir until your arm falls off in my experience. Just drop them in and stir them in/whirlpool for a minute or so then let them sit 15-30 min. or more if you like. YMMV.

Since this beer didn't have an in-your-face hop aroma, etc. (which it probably shouldn't anyway), I will just do a whirlpool addition that resembles a flameout-like addition. Also... update: This Cologne Malt has some color to it. I'm about to boil so I have seen the wort and it's a bit darker than I might envision but I'm not surprised since the bag of malt said 4.5-5.8L. More later...

#22 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:24 AM

I've meant to try that malt for a while, I'll be interested to hear the results. I thought itight be a good malt for an Alt. A little more color is usually a good thing, in my book.

#23 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54211 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:29 AM

So this beer is in the tub of cool water and everything went smoothly. All of my pH measurements lined up nicely and everything went pretty smooth. I predict that this will be a darker-than-normal kolsch because of the Cologne Malt. If I had to guess, I'd say that the beer might be SRM 5 or 6. That's okay as this one was the less authentic of the two and the next one will be pilsner malt, wheat & carafoam with all Spalt (60 and 20) and the 2565. My guess is that the second one will be quite a bit lighter. I tasted the wort as it was heading into the primary and it seemed fine. I will update and also take some pics when these are ready. Oh, and the darker color might not come through too much if I serve the beer in a Kolsch glass... tall and thin. Cheers.

#24 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:16 PM

Oh, and the darker color might not come through too much if I serve the beer in a Kolsch glass... tall and thin. Cheers.

https://www.rakuten....CFe1QOgod33IAWg

ETA: last time I was in Cologne an American was politely asking the Kubis who he would speak to about buying a couple of rods.  The Kubis said, "Just take them." 

Edited by armagh, 26 March 2014 - 12:17 PM.

#25 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:32 PM

Making this style this weekend. Wasn't planning on using santiam, but you know what? That sounds pretty damn good to me!

#26 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54211 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 02:45 PM

Making this style this weekend. Wasn't planning on using santiam, but you know what? That sounds pretty damn good to me!

I have another recipe that calls for Spalt (probably more authentic) and a buddy of mine uses all Mt. Hood which is derived from Hallertau so I think it's fine. Santiam also has some Hallertau lineage so it makes sense and these Santiam hops smell dynamite. Also, I used the "Cologne Malt" in this first version and that malt is quite a bit darker so this kolsch might not look much like a kolsch. The next version will have pilsner malt instead. Cheers.

#27 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 02:47 PM

I have another recipe that calls for Spalt (probably more authentic) and a buddy of mine uses all Mt. Hood which is derived from Hallertau so I think it's fine. Santiam also has some Hallertau lineage so it makes sense and these Santiam hops smell dynamite. Also, I used the "Cologne Malt" in this first version and that malt is quite a bit darker so this kolsch might not look much like a kolsch. The next version will have pilsner malt instead. Cheers.

NICE, I'm using pils and a smidge of wheat. Using the Kolsch to build a starter for next weeks Helles. Using that for the dortmunder after that. Then German Pils. Gotta get ready for summer and I'm getting a late start

#28 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:04 PM

Hey aren't Santiam of Tett lineage?  I could have swore I read they were a Tett substitute if nothing else. 

#29 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:05 PM

NICE, I'm using pils and a smidge of wheat. Using the Kolsch to build a starter for next weeks Helles. Using that for the dortmunder after that. Then German Pils. Gotta get ready for summer and I'm getting a late start

So you're using a lager yeast for the Kolsch then?  Hmm... Have you done that before? I'm interested.

#30 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:09 PM

So you're using a lager yeast for the Kolsch then?  Hmm... Have you done that before? I'm interested.

No, I built a starter for the kolsch last weekend from DME. My usual SOP is to make an extra gallon or two of wort at a starter-like gravity and use that to build next week's yeast pitch. I usually give my Kolsch about 3 weeks in primary. So excited to have Kolsch on tap again.

I also thought Santiam was of Tettnanger lineage.

#31 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 03 April 2014 - 04:01 PM

I think you really need Kolsch yeast to get that little tartness at the end.  It's such a delicate style those little things define it.

#32 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16688 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 04:49 PM

Hey aren't Santiam of Tett lineage?  I could have swore I read they were a Tett substitute if nothing else. 

Santiam is 1/3 Tett, 1/3 Mittelfruh, and 1/3 a Cascade derived US derived male.

#33 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54211 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:07 PM

No, I built a starter for the kolsch last weekend from DME. My usual SOP is to make an extra gallon or two of wort at a starter-like gravity and use that to build next week's yeast pitch. I usually give my Kolsch about 3 weeks in primary. So excited to have Kolsch on tap again.   I also thought Santiam was of Tettnanger lineage.

So you're using Kolsch yeast to make kolsch, helles, pils and dort?

#34 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:34 PM

So you're using Kolsch yeast to make kolsch, helles, pils and dort?

No, sorry apparently my hasty posting left some articulation issues! I made the kolsch starter last weekend. I'll pitch that into this weekends kolsch. When I make the kolsch wort, I'll make about a gallon to a gallon and a half extra, use that extra wort to make a new starter with 2308 and 2124. 

#35 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:21 PM

My house Kolsch is usually on tap. SIMPLE SIMPLE recipe. 

I use extract on this one, i usually make 2 batches in a day and use this as the first while i mash the next on up. Makes a quick day of 2 batches. 

This is usually the first beer gone off the wall. Big hit with every type of beer drinker

I dont think the wheat is needed. 

6.75 lbs Briess extra light pilsen LME

.7oz GR Hallertau 3.9AA 60min

2 oz GR Tettnang 3.9AA 20min

Wyeast 2565 at 62

OG:1.046

FG: 1.013-14 (i usually ferment 3 weeks, guess i maybe able to get a point or 2 with a little longer)

I use 100% distilled water and just add 2.4 grams chalk to the boil. 

6.5 gallons of water total. Usually get a little under 5.5 gallons. 

Edited by DaBearSox, 07 April 2014 - 10:23 PM.

#36 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54211 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:14 AM

Update:  The first kolsch I made with the Cologne Malt has been on tap here for a few days.  I wanted to have it available for a graduation party we had over the weekend.  It was probably the most-tapped beer I had out of the four.  I will snap a bit soon but wanted to mention that the beer did come out quite a bit darker than most kolsch beers you see.  It looks more like a Festbier... a sort of very dark gold or very pale amber-colored.  But the beer itself is very nice.  The Cologne Malt gives it a bit more body than you might expect and this version with all Santiam hops is nice.  The character of the Santiam is on full display since it's the only hop I used in it.  I'm kegging the other Kolsch I made today... it used pilsner malt instead of the Cologne Malt and although this first one is good, I'm thinking the second one will be even better.  Cheers.

#37 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 03:49 AM

Update:  ...the beer did come out quite a bit darker than most kolsch beers you see.  It looks more like a Festbier... a sort of very dark gold or very pale amber-colored. 

I calculate that it would be around the color of a Pilsner Urquell, about SRM 7 or 8, does that sound right?  That would be above the BJCP upper limit of 5, but probably within the range of Koelsch in Koeln (according to the Koelsch book - via the NB site). My first thought is that, if it is a little darker, it might be a little tastier.

#38 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54211 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 05:46 AM

I calculate that it would be around the color of a Pilsner Urquell, about SRM 7 or 8, does that sound right?  That would be above the BJCP upper limit of 5, but probably within the range of Koelsch in Koeln (according to the Koelsch book - via the NB site). My first thought is that, if it is a little darker, it might be a little tastier.

Every recipe I had ever seen for Kolsch showed pilsner malt as the bulk of the base malt. I did hear some people talking about Kolsch Malt or "Cologne Malt" and when I saw it at my LHBS with the description that "This malt is made at the only malt production plant in the Cologne region...", I thought it was a no-brainer to try. Only one buddy of mine that was here for the party over the weekend would even know what a kolsch was... he tapped it and looked at it and then looked at me. I said, "A curious color, right?" and he said, "Yeah, what's the story?" and I told him about it and then took him back to my beer bunker where the other one [made with pils malt] was sitting in a secondary looking very clear and very pale and he said, "Yeah, that's what I was expecting". So I will snap pics and make mental notes about which one I like best. These Santiam hops are awesome but the Spalts are probably more authentic so we will see after this second batch is sampled. Cheers.

#39 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:00 AM

Every recipe I had ever seen for Kolsch showed pilsner malt as the bulk of the base malt.

Every homebrewing recipe I've seen was mostly Pils and a pound of wheat, which is the recipe I've used to make a convincing Kölsch. I've never seen a recipe that claimed to be a commercial recipe, though, and they are probably not all identical. The two that I can buy here (Reissdorf and Sünner) are both quite pale, though.

#40 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54211 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 03:18 PM

Every homebrewing recipe I've seen was mostly Pils and a pound of wheat, which is the recipe I've used to make a convincing Kölsch. I've never seen a recipe that claimed to be a commercial recipe, though, and they are probably not all identical. The two that I can buy here (Reissdorf and Sünner) are both quite pale, though.

Agreed. The American versions are all pale and many contain hops that you might not expect them to have. The German versions I have had were all in the US but in German taverns that specialize in having draft German beers on hand at all times... those have all been pale as well and usually filtered to a shiny, bright beer. This one I made with the Cologne Malt would probably be the darkest Kolsch I have encountered. But I will say that the color is not really much of a distraction... the beer is quite tasty and I give much of the credit to the Santiam hops and the 2565 for its nice character.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users