60 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54211 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:05 AM

Gang: I was at a place called Pinstripes yesterday which has bocce courts, bowling, they do weddings there, etc. I was with a big group and drinking this Krankshaft Kolsch by Metropolitan Brewing here in Chicago. I had never had it and it was absolutely dynamite. Soft, smooth, just a slight tilt from the kolsch yeast, etc. I contacted a homebrewer I have known for many years who lives in Providence and loves to make Kolsch. I have his recipe and now armed with some of this pale beer information, I think I'm going to head to the LHBS today to pick up 2565 and some other things. If anyone would like to school me on making the perfect Kolsch, please advise. Here is his recipe which is basically, 91% pils, 6% wheat and 3% carafoam.

Bryan H's Kolsch

8 lbs Best Malz Pils
8 ounces White Wheat
4 ounces Carafoam
1.50 oz Spalt pellets @ 3.2% for 60 mins (4.8 AAU)
.50 oz Spalt pellets 3.2% for 20 mins
Wyeast 2565 Kolsch Yeast

OG: 1.050, FG: 1.012, IBU: 25, SRM: 3, ABV: 4.8%

I would use 50% distilled water, mash for 60 mins at 149°. Mash, sparge and kettle pH line up to get a relatively low finished beer pH (maybe 4.2ish). His recipe will use any hops that seem reasonable including Mt. Hood. I have some Spalt and like the idea of having them in this beer. Looks like Metropolitan uses Santiam for bittering, according to their site. Smooth, dry finish, a small amount of hop flavor and that yeast character. This beer had a nice, thick & long-lasting head too and the beer looked filtered but I'm not sure that it was. Anyone have any other insight? Thanks guys.

#2 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54211 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 11:45 AM

I think I'll make 2 of these. One I'll make with the above recipe and the other I'll make with some Cologne Malt that I just picked up. It says it's for Kolsch-style beers and is produced in the only malting facility in the Cologne region. It's a little darker too... 4.5 to 5.8°L. Then with that malt, I'll use the Santiam hops like Metropolitan did with theirs. Maybe dial up the hops a little bit on that one and use Santiam for bittering and then late in the boil too. Should be nice. Got the 2565, Carafoam, etc. Cheers.

#3 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

Comptroller of Hot Flashes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, NY

Posted 23 March 2014 - 12:05 PM

Sounds good Ken. I love Kölsch and basically use the same recipe, except I like to use Perle. Cheers!

#4 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 12:49 PM

Sounds good Ken. I love Kölsch and basically use the same recipe, except I like to use Perle. Cheers!

me as well. love perle

#5 CarlosM

CarlosM

Señor Joykill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12344 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 23 March 2014 - 02:07 PM

Gang: I was at a place called Pinstripes yesterday which has bocce courts, bowling, they do weddings there, etc. I was with a big group and drinking this Krankshaft Kolsch by Metropolitan Brewing here in Chicago. I had never had it and it was absolutely dynamite. Soft, smooth, just a slight tilt from the kolsch yeast, etc. I contacted a homebrewer I have known for many years who lives in Providence and loves to make Kolsch. I have his recipe and now armed with some of this pale beer information, I think I'm going to head to the LHBS today to pick up 2565 and some other things. If anyone would like to school me on making the perfect Kolsch, please advise. Here is his recipe which is basically, 91% pils, 6% wheat and 3% carafoam.

Bryan H's Kolsch

8 lbs Best Malz Pils
8 ounces White Wheat
4 ounces Carafoam
1.50 oz Spalt pellets @ 3.2% for 60 mins (4.8 AAU)
.50 oz Spalt pellets 3.2% for 20 mins
Wyeast 2565 Kolsch Yeast

OG: 1.050, FG: 1.012, IBU: 25, SRM: 3, ABV: 4.8%

I would use 50% distilled water, mash for 60 mins at 149°. Mash, sparge and kettle pH line up to get a relatively low finished beer pH (maybe 4.2ish). His recipe will use any hops that seem reasonable including Mt. Hood. I have some Spalt and like the idea of having them in this beer. Looks like Metropolitan uses Santiam for bittering, according to their site. Smooth, dry finish, a small amount of hop flavor and that yeast character. This beer had a nice, thick & long-lasting head too and the beer looked filtered but I'm not sure that it was. Anyone have any other insight? Thanks guys.

surprised it took you that long to taste that Kolsch, its pretty damn awesome.  Let me know how that recipe turns out as it may bring me back to the brewing side of this forum. 

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54211 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 02:49 PM

surprised it took you that long to taste that Kolsch, its pretty damn awesome.  Let me know how that recipe turns out as it may bring me back to the brewing side of this forum.

I know, I should have been on this one earlier. I'll be honest, I have not seen a lot of Metropolitan beers at the places I have been. I was at Howl At The Moon on Friday and an Irish place across the street and Lagunitas IPA was the beer to have, apparently. I'm going to be looking at the other Metropolitan beers because the Copper Lager and the Flywheel sound nice too. I will post back when I make this beer (I'm brewing it one day this next week) and when I've sampled it. Cheers.

#7 Jdtirado

Jdtirado

Comptroller of Betties & Crocs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2162 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 23 March 2014 - 05:20 PM

Perle?

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54211 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:20 PM

Perle?

Pronounced per-LAY. German hop with a neutral character, medium AA% and a nice aroma. I actually have a few Perle beers on tap and in other parts of production at the moment and I agree that they're nice. I would use them here along with a number of other hops including Mt. Hood, Spalt, Santiam and probably any other of the nobles.

#9 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:34 PM

Ken, guess I haven't paid attention but I'm surprised you haven't brewed one before.  I would have to look but my last few were probably 100% Pils.  Had a one I threw a little spelt in but  didn't think it added anything.  I need to brew one again.

#10 dmtaylor

dmtaylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationTwo Rivers, WI

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:43 AM

Recipe looks good.  Plan on a 6-week fermentation.  The 2565 is a great yeast but takes FOREVER to finish up and settle out.  If you grow impatient near the end, don't be afraid to add gelatin, it helps settle things out very quickly.

#11 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:59 AM

Recipe looks good.  Plan on a 6-week fermentation.  The 2565 is a great yeast but takes FOREVER to finish up and settle out.  If you grow impatient near the end, don't be afraid to add gelatin, it helps settle things out very quickly.

Good lord, how much yeast was used and at what temp did this occur at? That's ridonkulous.

#12 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54211 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:08 AM

FTR, I have brewed Kolsch and used 2565 before but honestly... this commercial version was outstanding. It was so good that I'm slightly intimidated to even try to make one close to it. Maybe it was just the setting, maybe it was a fresh keg, not sure but I've been dreaming of this beer and dreaming about making my own version. So it's been awhile since I made a Kolsch and I just wasn't inspired to make another one until now. The last time I brewed with 2565, the Kolsch (a pic posted in THIS thread) came out very clear. I know it's a low floccer (as is 1007) but the Kolsch with 2565 and Alt (also posted there) with 1007 came out crystal clear with my normal schedule and some gel solution. Cheers.

Edited by KenLenard, 24 March 2014 - 06:08 AM.

#13 dmtaylor

dmtaylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationTwo Rivers, WI

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:11 PM

Good lord, how much yeast was used and at what temp did this occur at? That's ridonkulous.

It *is* ridonkulous.  That's why I use the White Labs Kolsch yeast now, which finishes in 3-4 weeks and clear as a bell.  Fermentation at about 60-62 F, starter size between ale and lager.

#14 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:04 PM

It *is* ridonkulous.  That's why I use the White Labs Kolsch yeast now, which finishes in 3-4 weeks and clear as a bell.  Fermentation at about 60-62 F, starter size between ale and lager.

I've used the WLP029? before too and it was fine. I'll avoid the Wyeast.

#15 CarlosM

CarlosM

Señor Joykill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12344 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:21 PM

I know, I should have been on this one earlier. I'll be honest, I have not seen a lot of Metropolitan beers at the places I have been. I was at Howl At The Moon on Friday and an Irish place across the street and Lagunitas IPA was the beer to have, apparently. I'm going to be looking at the other Metropolitan beers because the Copper Lager and the Flywheel sound nice too. I will post back when I make this beer (I'm brewing it one day this next week) and when I've sampled it. Cheers.

Flywheel is hands down a staple at my place. Its my "PBR" 

#16 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54211 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:13 AM

So I emailed the brewery and not surprisingly, I got a response back from founder and head brewer, Doug Hurst. He gave me some information which is very cool. I did not ask for permission to share it here so if anyone is interested in it, LMK and I will PM it to you. But I can share a couple things, I think. Even though I picked up "Cologne Malt" (also know as Kolsch Malt), he said that there is only German Pilsner and Wheat in Krankshaft. He also said that he adds Santiam at "whirlpool". There must not be much because the beer doesn't really have a lot of late-hop character. He said that his yeast is proprietary but that 2565 would be his choice. He also says he uses a longer boil time, ferments it at 61° for 12 days and then lagers it at 31° for 6 days and then he filters it. Not sure if I will adjust my recipe or not because there is enough missing information that I might not be able to fill in all the blanks. I am filtering the water and getting the grains ready today for a Wednesday 3/26 brewday. Cheers.

#17 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:41 AM

Your recipe looks good. Pretty standard. I love Kolsch. It's got enough character to keep you interested and it's refreshing enough to drink all day. Probably one of my favorite styles.

#18 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54211 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:58 AM

Your recipe looks good. Pretty standard. I love Kolsch. It's got enough character to keep you interested and it's refreshing enough to drink all day. Probably one of my favorite styles.

You would have loved this one. Smooth, soft & fluffy head, slightly chewy consistency, just a touch of that character that 2565 gives you so that you know it's not 1056 or whatever. It was outstanding. Brilliant clarity, a deep gold color. Yum. If I can just get it close, I'll be really freaking happy.

#19 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54211 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:15 AM

Okay, brewing one of these this morning. This one is a little off-the-map and closer to this locally-made one I had over the weekend. After this I will make one that is more traditional.

Kolsch #1

8.5 lbs Cologne Malt
10 ounces Wheat
.85 ounces Santiam pellets 6.3% (5.4 AAU) for 70 minutes
.75 ounces Santiam pellets 6.3% added during whirlpool
Wyeast 2565 Kolsch ale yeast

OG: 1.051, FG: 1.011, IBU: 24, SRM: 3, ABV: 4.9%

My mash temp was 150.7° which is slightly lower than the Krankshaft is mashed at. The Kolsch yeast has a high-attenuation rate so mashing a little higher seems reasonable. 75 minute boil. 50% distilled water. I used Bru'N'Water which suggested 2.6ml of acid added to the mash and 2.4ml added to the sparge. I went a little low though because this Cologne Malt is rated at 4.5 to 5.8L (higher than the typical pils at 1.8L or whatever). I got the mash pH to 5.2 and I lowered the sparge water pH with 1.5ml of acid before heating it. This Cologne Malt is described as being produced in the only malting facility in the Cologne Region so I'm liking that part of this a little bit. Also, this locally-made Kolsch had a high-alpha hop (not German) used for the 70 minutes and Santiam added at whirlpool. Not traditional, I know but the next batch will be more authentic. I don't think I will do the 210-175° drop, stop the chill, add hops, stir until your arm falls off thing. I think I will get to flameout, start chilling, add the whirlpool hops and just keep chilling. I'll get the kettle pH to 5.2 or 5.3 and go. Should be interesting. Cheers.

Edited by KenLenard, 26 March 2014 - 06:16 AM.

#20 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16688 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:39 AM

I don't think I will do the 210-175° drop, stop the chill, add hops, stir until your arm falls off thing. I think I will get to flameout, start chilling, add the whirlpool hops and just keep chilling. 

No need to stir until your arm falls off in my experience. Just drop them in and stir them in/whirlpool for a minute or so then let them sit 15-30 min. or more if you like. YMMV.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users