#21 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 23 August 2009 - 05:49 PM

8AM setup till 8PM inoculation and gear stowed.Thanks to IronKite and BitJock who came over and made it a fun group brew.Beauuuutiful day, not even a chance of rain.25 gallons of Fresh Hop event Horizon JPA. Fermented on 1026 cask ale.13.5 gal of 1.080 (?) wort.Had to forgo the fresh hop hop back.Hopefully it all will work out.We were a bit late on harvest and only had 3 pounds of usable hops.4 out of 5 bines broke the twine. Next year 1/4" poly rope!Harvest & clean-up was about 3 hours.Used Gnef's water formulation numbers (thanks dude).Then a second running: 11 gal of 1.050 wort.I did US05, Ironkite did Windsor.Have to run blow-off tubes yet.Thinking about putting some of the fresh hop in 24 oz, bombers for NHBC next year and a blueboard private tasting.Any takers?

Edited by Stout_fan, 23 August 2009 - 05:52 PM.

#22 Tripel666

Tripel666

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:48 AM

Brewed 5 gallons of Belgian Golden ale with the new Flanders Golden Ale yeast.

#23 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:00 AM

11 gallons of dunkelweisen this last Saturday.

#24 Pseudolus

Pseudolus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 07:24 PM

I'll be curious to know how your mild turned out. Did one a few months ago that I had high hopes for but turned out more of a "meh". Would love to hear how yours finishes out.

Well, the grav sample is tasty. Down to 1.014 (from 1.037 OG) in 3 days. Visible activity has ceased. Might drop another couple points, might not. That 002 is a good, quick worker.Initial flavor is a fairly complex but modest in size toast/roast character. There's also a bit of caramel. English fruity yeast character is also evident. I think I'm tasting some diacetyl, too. Not unpleasant, actually. I would expect that to drop substantially in the next couple days as this really young beer matures.Not picking out any honey notes. Might be lost in the malt flavors. Was only about half a pound in there, so shouldn't be surprised.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users