• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Pseudolus

Pseudolus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 11:26 AM

Just put a mild into the fermenter. So darn hot here that my IC wasn't able to get it down to pitching temp. I'll let my chest freezer take it down the last 10 degrees or so.(For those who helped me out in my "should I mess with the NB mild?" thread: yes, I messed with it. My rationale/excuse is that it's written for 5G and I generally scale my recipes to 6G so that, after kettle and fermenter losses, I still get a full 5G in the keg. So I added a 1/4 lb of crystal 60, a 1/4 lb of Spec B, and 6 oz of wildflower honey, just for kicks. The recipe as written also called for 1 oz of EKG right at 60 minutes. That would have given me 20+ IBU, which seemed more than I wanted. So I did 1/2 oz at 60 and tossed the other 1/2 oz in at 15. So, yeah, not exactly how the good folks at NB wrote it up. But should be a tasty, easy-drinkin' beer. I expect to bring this one along to the NH homebrew jamboree in a few weeks. So, anyone who wants to tell me that I effed it up can find me there!)

#2 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 21 August 2009 - 01:02 PM

American Amber on Sunday.

#3 VolFan

VolFan

Comptroller of teh spr0ts

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13057 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 21 August 2009 - 01:17 PM

Just turned the juice on for 10gls of an IPA.

#4 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 21 August 2009 - 03:36 PM

Brewing the Pumpkin at MBC I didn't get to last weekend.

#5 CoastieSteve

CoastieSteve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 03:56 PM

IPA here

#6 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64098 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 21 August 2009 - 04:30 PM

Brewing a Blond on Monday.

#7 AGrandDesign

AGrandDesign

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2287 posts
  • LocationThe Upside down

Posted 21 August 2009 - 04:57 PM

Robust Porter tomorrow AM.I'll be curious to know how your mild turned out. Did one a few months ago that I had high hopes for but turned out more of a "meh". Would love to hear how yours finishes out.

#8 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 21 August 2009 - 05:04 PM

May make my fav IPA tomorrow

#9 VolFan

VolFan

Comptroller of teh spr0ts

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13057 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 21 August 2009 - 06:10 PM

Beer in the fermenter. I like getting brews knocked out on Friday nights. Have the rest of the weekend to take care of other stuff.Then again, I like waking up, making coffee and then mashing in while the sun is coming up. I think if I had the fermenter capacity I'd do it again in the morning.

#10 Mashman

Mashman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • LocationGunnison CO

Posted 21 August 2009 - 06:44 PM

I brewed 12G of Belgian Strong Dark Ale on thursday and I'm brewing a Saison tomorrow. The BSD was split between WL530 and yeast cultured from a bottle of Unibroue. The Saison will be split between WL565 and WY3711. Mashman

#11 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 06:50 PM

Flanders Red Ale tomorrow, American Pale Ale sunday...maybe an American Brown Ale thrown in too.

#12 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 21 August 2009 - 07:38 PM

Brewed a nice ESB last night. All Thomas Fawcett optic for the base and bittered with all EKGs, pitched wy1968 at 9:30, it was still 85 degrees out and 100% humidity. Chugging along nicely this morning though. Possibly doing a dubbel on sunday, we'll see how rough sat night is!

#13 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 21 August 2009 - 11:17 PM

Just pitched Denny Fav 50 onto 10 gallons of Denny's Rye IPA. I taught a buddy from my brewclub how to brew all grain and I am fermenting his share as well in my chest freezer. It was a great brew, nice night and look forward to the fermentation on this one. Happy brewing to everyone!!

#14 kbhale

kbhale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationEvansville IN

Posted 21 August 2009 - 11:48 PM

I want to pull 20 gallon out of my Sour barrel in couple weeks. So I need to brew up replacement beer. I have a batch of Wheat / Rye ready for tomorrow morning. Might try to brew a second batch if the first one goes well.

#15 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 22 August 2009 - 06:24 AM

Was going to brew today, 80% chance of rain courtesy of Hurricane Bill.Sunday... SUNDAY... SUNDAY!24 gals of Fresh Hop Event Horizon JPA!4l starter of 1026 spinning right now going through color change to lighter.Now if the 20% rain stays away, I'll be happy.Need to epoxy the outlet on the big tun today so it doesn't leak tomorrow.So I bought a hopback from B3. Haven't used it yet.Should I also go 2 pounds of fresh hop into the hopback as well guys?Oh yea, water chemistry question I'll be posting. So help is appreciated there as well.Cheers!

#16 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 22 August 2009 - 06:33 AM

Should I also go 2 pounds of fresh hop into the hopback as well guys?

2 pounds, as in 32 oz? No I think you should go more! 3-4 pounds! How big are your batches for this amount?

#17 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 22 August 2009 - 06:50 AM

2 pounds, as in 32 oz? No I think you should go more! 3-4 pounds! How big are your batches for this amount?

I'll fill the hopback, natch. But I think it will only be about 2 pounds.Batch size is 24 gal.

Edited by Stout_fan, 22 August 2009 - 06:50 AM.

#18 kbhale

kbhale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationEvansville IN

Posted 22 August 2009 - 08:28 PM

Good brew day. Did a back to back brew. Skipped the ice and sump pump. Just tap water till it got under a 100F and put fermenters in to cooling cabinet. 10 gal of IPA and 10 for the Sour barrel. Used the spent hops from the IPA for the beer going into the barrel. Surprised it had a good hop smell from the spent hops.

#19 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 22 August 2009 - 11:01 PM

Crazy brew day here, simple American Bitter doing the whole no cooling until the flameout hops were in for an hour. Recipe was originally 8#MO, 4 oz crystal 20 and 6 oz crystal 40; hops all centennials .5 oz 60 min, 1 oz 20 min 2.5 oz flameout plus 1 hour no chill. Well using slothrob's mashtun I knocked out his valve adding gypsum with 20 min left in the mash. Lost grain and some strong wort. Added more grain based on sloth's calcs, remashed for another hour(decocted to avoid being too dry) then finished and put this bitch to rest. So yeah I brewed, just took 2.5 hours longer than normal and will prob end up amazing and non-clonable.

#20 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 23 August 2009 - 04:20 AM

Drank my coffee, now on to brew beer.Hopefully the weather will cooperate. :shock:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users