#1 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 20 August 2009 - 01:33 PM

I want to start using pure oxygen on my beers but unsure of where to get the components...So i need a regulator, tubing, a stone, and a bottle of oxygen... Where is the best and cheapest places to pick these things up?

#2 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 20 August 2009 - 01:37 PM

https://www.northern...-and-stone.htmlYou can get the oxygen from Lowe's. Go to the tools aisle and find the little mini welding rigs. Somewhere near there will be bright red bottles of oxygen made by Bernzomatic.

#3 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47991 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 20 August 2009 - 01:41 PM

I generally hate it when people don't answer the question but...I have to ask, why do you want to use pure oxygen? Lots of us have bought oxygenation setups that just sit gathering dust.

#4 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 20 August 2009 - 01:44 PM

I generally hate it when people don't answer the question but...I have to ask, why do you want to use pure oxygen? Lots of us have bought oxygenation setups that just sit gathering dust.

no worries...I started out shaking....PITAMoved to aquarium pump....takes way too long so PITA30-60 seconds of pure oxygen to ensure i get a great fermentation = priceless

#5 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 20 August 2009 - 03:01 PM

oh and i mean every book you read basically says the most important things to the quality of your beer are proper pitching rate, fermentation temp, and wort oxygenation

#6 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 20 August 2009 - 03:29 PM

AND ONE MORE THING....if you have one collecting dust you want to sell it to me?

#7 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 20 August 2009 - 03:44 PM

I've thought about it a few times and don't want to deal with the sanitiation involved. Too easy to put a SS stirrer in the boil with the IC (to sanitize the spot welds on it) and then whip it up with a cordless drill. I know it doesn't get the same O2 levels doing that but my fermentations take off pretty good.I think most people blow off the regulator and get a stone from one of the major online supply houses.

Edited by dj in kc, 20 August 2009 - 03:45 PM.

#8 JReigle

JReigle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationSan Leandro, CA

Posted 20 August 2009 - 04:05 PM

Too easy to put a SS stirrer in the boil with the IC (to sanitize the spot welds on it) and then whip it up with a cordless drill. I know it doesn't get the same O2 levels doing that but my fermentations take off pretty good.

+1, I use a cheap plastic 24" Mix Stir and this has been working well. Beats the hell out of shaking.

#9 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 20 August 2009 - 04:12 PM

I've thought about it a few times and don't want to deal with the sanitiation involved. Too easy to put a SS stirrer in the boil with the IC (to sanitize the spot welds on it) and then whip it up with a cordless drill. I know it doesn't get the same O2 levels doing that but my fermentations take off pretty good.

How's that easier to sanitize? I'm sure it provides effective aeration but I don't get how that's easier to sanitize than the O2 kit I posted above.

I think most people blow off the regulator and get a stone from one of the major online supply houses.

You need some kind of regulator or your bottle of oxygen will last for exactly one batch.

#10 Brewmasters Warehouse

Brewmasters Warehouse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 05:37 PM

I use pure O2 and I like the ease of use. Sanitize, sip it into the wort, and turn on for 60 seconds. Healthy fermentation every time. I would not switch to any other method.Can save you a couple of bucks on one too.Ed

#11 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 05:58 PM

I've tried all sorts of methods, and using an O2 stone is easily my favorite.Quick to use, easy to sanitize (just boil the stone in some water).Works great.

#12 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47991 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 20 August 2009 - 09:02 PM

I hated having to boil the stone and keep it sanitized between uses. I also had a couple clog. Also, using benzomatic oxygen adds significantly to the cost of a batch. They're $8 a canister from Lowes' around here, and you only get 4 or 5 batches per canister.I just pump the wort into the ferm through a device that makes a foamy, aerating shower. Occasionally, if the beer is really big, I will squirt a bit of O2 into the empty bottle beforehand. (So I can't sell you my regulator, DaBearSox, sorry.)

#13 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 20 August 2009 - 09:16 PM

How's that easier to sanitize? I'm sure it provides effective aeration but I don't get how that's easier to sanitize than the O2 kit I posted above.You need some kind of regulator or your bottle of oxygen will last for exactly one batch.

Well it's a badass stirrer with a lot of spot welded joints that I don't trust StarSan to hit. So it goes in the boil, along with some other stuff that needs to go in then at my place.You're probably right about the O2 regulator since I just don't know.......I get a little lax with stuff sometimes around here but post boil is where I get anal about it. The tubing and the stone itself, sure you can get it sterile - but I also think that this is the time that wort is the most likely to get another bug growing. But I don't want to deal with getting all the sugar out when you clean it and then sanitize for the next batch. Not that I have the right way to do it. Just don't want to mess with it. Just like I want my pump and hoses put away before post boil sanitation... Just another way to do it.

#14 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 21 August 2009 - 04:56 AM

I just generally make humungoid starters. Transfer of the beer (25' hose & drop into conical) generally puts enough oxygen in the beer to get the fermentation done. On High gravity brews I'll also use my "Aludium Q-36 Wort Modulator" prior to the long hose. Works fine for me.

Edited by Stout_fan, 21 August 2009 - 04:59 AM.

#15 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 21 August 2009 - 06:56 AM

Well it's a badass stirrer with a lot of spot welded joints that I don't trust StarSan to hit. So it goes in the boil, along with some other stuff that needs to go in then at my place.You're probably right about the O2 regulator since I just don't know.......I get a little lax with stuff sometimes around here but post boil is where I get anal about it. The tubing and the stone itself, sure you can get it sterile - but I also think that this is the time that wort is the most likely to get another bug growing. But I don't want to deal with getting all the sugar out when you clean it and then sanitize for the next batch. Not that I have the right way to do it. Just don't want to mess with it. Just like I want my pump and hoses put away before post boil sanitation... Just another way to do it.

All I do with mine is dip it in StarSan before and after using. I open the regulator and blow some oxygen through it while it's in the StarSan after it's been used. I"ve had it for 5 or 6 years and it's never clogged. Also I get a lot more than 4 or 5 batches from a cannister of O2.

#16 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 07:20 AM

All I do with mine is dip it in StarSan before and after using. I open the regulator and blow some oxygen through it while it's in the StarSan after it's been used. I"ve had it for 5 or 6 years and it's never clogged. Also I get a lot more than 4 or 5 batches from a cannister of O2.

I do just about the same as Mtn except when I am done oxygenating I put it back in the star-san and give a quick burst of O2 to get any trub out of the pores. Never had a problem. I think I get about 10 batches to a canister. Some are 5 some are 10G. I usually let it go for about 45-60 seconds.I think the next batch I do I will split between 2 carboys and only oxygenate 1 and just leave the other as is. See if I see any huge difference. I will probably just pitch dry so I can easily compare. My guess is that a mid gravity beer would be the best to try this on.

#17 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 21 August 2009 - 07:55 AM

I do just about the same as Mtn except when I am done oxygenating I put it back in the star-san and give a quick burst of O2 to get any trub out of the pores. Never had a problem. I think I get about 10 batches to a canister. Some are 5 some are 10G. I usually let it go for about 45-60 seconds.

That's actually exactly the same as me.

#18 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 21 August 2009 - 07:59 AM

I think the next batch I do I will split between 2 carboys and only oxygenate 1 and just leave the other as is. See if I see any huge difference. I will probably just pitch dry so I can easily compare. My guess is that a mid gravity beer would be the best to try this on.

I like that idea, please post back the results...

#19 Winkydowbrewing

Winkydowbrewing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationWorcester, MA

Posted 21 August 2009 - 08:01 AM

I got a cool little kit at Home Depot with the benzo O2 tank, and reg. I purchased the stone, but mine clogged up really good in the first few uses, since then I have just been putting my tubing directly into the wort, I know it wont absorb as much, but my fermentation still takes off. And as Mtn. said I get way more than 4-5 uses on a tank.

#20 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 21 August 2009 - 08:08 AM

I got a cool little kit at Home Depot with the benzo O2 tank, and reg. I purchased the stone, but mine clogged up really good in the first few uses, since then I have just been putting my tubing directly into the wort, I know it wont absorb as much, but my fermentation still takes off. And as Mtn. said I get way more than 4-5 uses on a tank.

How much it run you?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users