Photo
- - - - -

Some observations of beer on a recent trip...

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11107 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:37 AM

You can find a surprising number of Belgian beers on the island of Aruba, so you can always go high gravity if you get bored of gold and fizzy,

Yes, but the Balashi on my resort is free and the beers at the grocery store are $$$$$.  I do usually grab a couple belgians at the store, but just to refresh my tastbuds, what I really need is a decent IPA!  The only non gold and fizzy beer is Guiness and I just can't bring myself to pay such a premium for that.

#22 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 58122 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:24 AM

There used to be a sort of amber lager on Aruba called Rubano (or Arubano) that was pretty good. A little more flavor and color than a typical gold, light and fizzy beer. Eventually it disappeared. Then there was to be a new beer launched called Aruba Red Star. I actually have a t-shirt with the tagline for the beer (Mo' Betta Beer!) but I don't recall the beer ever coming to market. To compete with Amstel Bright (brewed in Curacao?), Balashi came out with Balashi Chill which comes in 7 or 8 ounce clear bottles. Finally, one thing I liked about Aruba was the chance at getting the original Amstel beer (not Amstel Light). It's not available in the US (or at least it wasn't for a long time) and it's quite good. Much more flavor than any of these other ones. I did see some imports at the store once but I assumed that they had been sitting on the grocery store shelves for a LOOONG time. Cheers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users