Photo
- - - - -

Some observations of beer on a recent trip...

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 58122 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:20 PM

I was in Puerto Aventuras, Mexico for about 10 days after Christmas. I had my share of Mexican beer consisting mostly of Leon, Negro Modelo, Indio, Victoria, Dos Equis Amber and Bohemia Oscura. All very similar beers and the inspiration of some of my own recipes. I sort of rolled all of these beers into a ball and put together the recipe for my Bordertown Dark Lager and I may have made that beer 4 or 5 times in 2013. At some point this past fall I was doing some projects in my son's room and also the kids' bathroom and was drinking some Bordertown, saying to myself that I was REALLY liking this beer. Fast-forward to this trip and I have to say that I was surprised at how lacking in hops these Mexican versions are. I mean they are LOW on hops. Where I might be making my versions with 25-30 IBUs, I'm guessing their's are somewhere around 10-15. I think my interpretation is better. In some cases where I had little choice, I ended up drinking the Clara beers too... Corona (in cans) in the van from the airport to the hotel, Sol at the beach bar because it was either that or Tecate Light and they stocked the room fridge with Pacifico so I had a few of those too. I have another batch of my Bordertown that I made with 830 in secondary and need to get it on tap soon. Salud Cerveza-Cabesas!

Edited by KenLenard, 08 January 2014 - 01:25 PM.

#2 StankDelicious

StankDelicious

Comptroller of BigBossMan

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts
  • LocationMarylandistan

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:39 PM

Try some El Presidente from the Dominican Republic. Love that stuff.

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 58122 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:49 PM

Try some El Presidente from the Dominican Republic. Love that stuff.

I have had it but I got it here which suggests that it was not that fresh. Plus that green bottle makes me nervous. But what I remember about it was good... a little more character than some of the blander gold lagers out there.

#4 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11107 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:54 PM

I'll be slugging down Balashi beer soon in its native Aruba.  I don't mind it for a few days, but it gets old quick. The other resort choice is Miller Lite that most people drink loaded with ice cubes. If I didn't think I'd be constantly detained by security I'd try to take some hops with me to at leave flavor the beer.

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 58122 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 03:19 PM

I'll be slugging down Balashi beer soon in its native Aruba.  I don't mind it for a few days, but it gets old quick. The other resort choice is Miller Lite that most people drink loaded with ice cubes. If I didn't think I'd be constantly detained by security I'd try to take some hops with me to at leave flavor the beer.

Nice! I have been there many times and actually took the Balashi brewery tour with a bud of mine from Long Island. The draft Balashi in the brewery's beer garden is better than the canned or bottled version. What resort are you staying at?

#6 StankDelicious

StankDelicious

Comptroller of BigBossMan

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts
  • LocationMarylandistan

Posted 08 January 2014 - 05:02 PM

I have had it but I got it here which suggests that it was not that fresh. Plus that green bottle makes me nervous. But what I remember about it was good... a little more character than some of the blander gold lagers out there.

When I was whoring it up in the DR, I drank gallons of that stuff. Then I came home and found out you assmonkeys started a coup over at the Greenboard.

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 58122 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 05:04 PM

When I was whoring it up in the DR, I drank gallons of that stuff. Then I came home and found out you assmonkeys started a coup over at the Greenboard.

I could easily see downing gallons of it in a warm and tropical location like the DR. A gold, fizzy lager works just fine in those circumstances.

#8 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11107 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 08 January 2014 - 05:09 PM

Nice! I have been there many times and actually took the Balashi brewery tour with a bud of mine from Long Island. The draft Balashi in the brewery's beer garden is better than the canned or bottled version. What resort are you staying at?

Tamarijn We really like the place, the staff and the guests that go there.  I may do the brewery tour this year!

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 58122 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 05:27 PM

Tamarijn We really like the place, the staff and the guests that go there.  I may do the brewery tour this year!

Yeah, that's cool. The Tamarijn is in a nice spot on a great beach. My inlaws have a timeshare at LaCabana and I've lost count of how many times I have been down there but I love it. I like to go out to DePalm Island and do the cycle... snorkel, drink beer, lay in the sun and dry off & warm up... repeat. There is something about the Balashi that is weird to me. They make it with desalinated seawater but the canned and bottled version have some sort of aspirin-like flavor or characteristic after you have had a couple of them. I don't know what it is. I tried to ply some information from our tour guide about the beer and what I got was that the yeast was "European" and the hops were German. I did see a big bale of something all wrapped up in white plastic and I clearly saw the word HERSBRUCKER on it so there is that. Have a great trip and have a few bottles of Balashi and Polar for me! Cheers.

#10 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:09 PM

On the subject of a Mex Lager, I sure like a few Coronas on the beach every Sunday with the newspaper. But maybe it's a "when in Rome" thing. For example, we were in Chicago in July and I discovered and couldn't get enough of Daisy Cutter. Inherently Chicago if I'm not mistaken? And oh so summer! So I had some sent down to my 'Casa.' But the novelty has waned and I'm just drinking it now. However I want to now make something very similar. I think chasing down those "flavors that set the scene of a great time" make great beer recipes.

#11 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 58122 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:10 PM

On the subject of a Mex Lager, I sure like a few Coronas on the beach every Sunday with the newspaper. But maybe it's a "when in Rome" thing. For example, we were in Chicago in July and I discovered and couldn't get enough of Daisy Cutter. Inherently Chicago if I'm not mistaken? And oh so summer! So I had some sent down to my 'Casa.' But the novelty has waned and I'm just drinking it now. However I want to now make something very similar. I think chasing down those "flavors that set the scene of a great time" make great beer recipes.

I agree. A Mexican lager on a Mexican beach or in a Mexican cantina is good. I also like the fact that you liked Daisy Cutter when you came up here. I like it too and I would think it would work anywhere but maybe not.

#12 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17381 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:16 PM

For example, we were in Chicago in July and I discovered and couldn't get enough of Daisy Cutter. Inherently Chicago if I'm not mistaken?

Indeed. Half Acre Brewing. Good Stuff. The dude from Half Acre was on and while I listened to it some time ago I believe he gave the recipe out on the air. https://thebrewingne...k.com/shows/957

You will need to filter through to find him, usually about a half hour to 40 min. into the show. if you dig it up post what you come up with in a new thread. 

I think chasing down those "flavors that set the scene of a great time" make great beer recipes.

Agreed. There are some flavors that I will always associate with specific good times and places.

#13 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17381 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:19 PM

I agree. A Mexican lager on a Mexican beach or in a Mexican cantina is good. I also like the fact that you liked Daisy Cutter when you came up here. I like it too and I would think it would work anywhere but maybe not.

Ken if you like Daisy Cutter than I need to reformulate my image of you.

#14 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 58122 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:56 PM

Ken if you like Daisy Cutter than I need to reformulate my image of you.

I like Daisy Cutter. I assume you're saying that because you think I'm a blow-dried, blouse-wearing poodle walker who cannot handle the IBUs... correct? I'm not even sure what the IBUs are but I have spent a number of nights drinking Daisy Cutter after Daisy Cutter and I like it. If anyone goes through that Brewing Network show and finds the recipe, please post it.

#15 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17381 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:32 PM

I like Daisy Cutter. I assume you're saying that because you think I'm a blow-dried, blouse-wearing poodle walker who cannot handle the IBUs... correct? I'm not even sure what the IBUs are but I have spent a number of nights drinking Daisy Cutter after Daisy Cutter and I like it. If anyone goes through that Brewing Network show and finds the recipe, please post it.

What?! Ken! I knew about the poodles, but really?

Actually I'm not surprised you like it. I'm just ball busting.

#16 Jdtirado

Jdtirado

Comptroller of Betties & Crocs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2162 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:10 AM

Hope this thread is limited to beers in Mexico and The Carribean because I'm leaving Amsterdam and while the beers were excellent I was really jonesing for an IPA which they didn't seem to have at all

#17 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:07 AM

I would also like the Daisy Cutter recipe if someone can access the brewing network.  But, to me, DC is a pretty straight forward ale.  If I had to wager a guess, I'd say pale malt, maybe a little 40 and some mildly sprinkled C hops....  I'm sure there's more to it but I just don't pick up a highly complex beer.... here... 

Still sitting on 3/4 of a case of tall boys.  I suppose continued R&D is necessary :frank:

#18 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:08 AM

Indeed. Half Acre Brewing. Good Stuff. The dude from Half Acre was on and while I listened to it some time ago I believe he gave the recipe out on the air. https://thebrewingne...k.com/shows/957

You will need to filter through to find him, usually about a half hour to 40 min. into the show. if you dig it up post what you come up with in a new thread. 

Agreed. There are some flavors that I will always associate with specific good times and places.

The good time in question in Chicago was Pearl Jam at Wrigley :)

#19 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17381 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:26 AM

Still sitting on 3/4 of a case of tall boys.  I suppose continued R&D is necessary :frank:

Absolutely. Get to 'em. They aren't getting any better.

The good time in question in Chicago was Pearl Jam at Wrigley :)

That would do just fine.

#20 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19679 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:22 AM

You can find a surprising number of Belgian beers on the island of Aruba, so you can always go high gravity if you get bored of gold and fizzy,

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users