#61 orudis

orudis

Deputy Comptroller of Rarts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25310 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 17 December 2013 - 06:33 AM

I didn't read the thread at all - not one post - but the question I've been wondering when reading this thread is, "Would you say them out loud?" Remember my story from hunting camp last year with the guys telling the Sheriff Bart jokes?

I don't, but I guarantee their response upon being called out would essentially be, "c'mon, lighten up, Francis."

#62 Clintama

Clintama

No Life

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30244 posts
  • LocationRight Here

Posted 17 December 2013 - 06:40 AM

Does anyone here think that minorities don't tell racial jokes about white people?

#63 thedisappearer

thedisappearer

Comptroller of BigAssMan

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43700 posts
  • Locationen route

Posted 17 December 2013 - 06:42 AM

Call me whatever names or labels you want, you'd be the one being the jerk.

So, you want to pre-name call? 

#64 Clintama

Clintama

No Life

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30244 posts
  • LocationRight Here

Posted 17 December 2013 - 06:55 AM

Why would that be okay? Ever tell your kids not to stoop to the level of a bully or other bad person? If they jumped off a bridge, would you as well?

I agree two wrongs don't make a right, but I think a lot of people are quick to only condemn white people for this.

#65 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47917 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 17 December 2013 - 06:58 AM

Does anyone here think that minorities don't tell racial jokes about white people?

The decent ones don't, no. 

I'm sure it's pretty common in Rachel Jeantel's crowd, sure.  But I doubt that Justice Thomas, President Obama, Thomas Sowell, Condi Rice, Bill Cosby or any one of millions of other decent people are throwing around too many jokes about crackers.

#66 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47917 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 17 December 2013 - 07:01 AM

I agree two wrongs don't make a right, but I think a lot of people are quick to only condemn white people for this.

It really comes down to who you want to be associated with.  If somebody were to come to this forum for the first time and judge it based on the contents of that thread, what would they think?

Would we look like normal, decent people, or would we look like the guy who tells the Sheriff Bart joke in front of a black co-worker, then says "You know I'm just joking."

#67 Trub L

Trub L

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112413 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 17 December 2013 - 07:10 AM

I gotta say, I was uncomfortable over some of the content.  But then, some of it was damn hilarious.  The 9 out of 10 one was fantastic, especially the second time!  :D

#68 Julius H Gardetto

Julius H Gardetto

Comptroller of Delusional Berkley Hippie Types

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25502 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 07:18 AM

Yeah, there were plenty of jokes that weren't focused on race, and just generally offensive. I am not comfortable with racial jokes.

#69 Trub L

Trub L

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112413 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 17 December 2013 - 07:25 AM

Yeah, there were plenty of jokes that weren't focused on race, and just generally offensive. I am not comfortable with racial jokes.

That's basically where I stood.

Unless they're about the Kiwis.

#70 Gumbo Leviathan

Gumbo Leviathan

Nutritional Anthropologist

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35311 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted 17 December 2013 - 07:33 AM

I have no insight on the motivation of the mods as I posted my position publicly, but warnings in a thread title don't grant immunity to the content. To me this isn't about being offended, it's about being associated with some of the racist shit that was posted in there.

This.  We are not allowed to post straight up nudie pix even with a warning/spoiler tag.  I liken that thread to simply posting a giant dick inside a spoiler. 

I was unoffended (and there were plenty of "jew" jokes there, some I didnt quite get :P), but everything in there was tasteless and honestly not that funny.  (though I did get one good chuckle out of something in there, I dont remember what it was anymore)

Regardless that stuff doesnt belong here.

#71 Trub L

Trub L

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112413 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 17 December 2013 - 07:37 AM

I was unoffended (and there were plenty of "jew" jokes there, some I didnt quite get :P),

Oh thank god.  I thought there were some new stereotypes that I just wasn't aware of.  :D

#72 Gumbo Leviathan

Gumbo Leviathan

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35311 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 07:40 AM

While I don't disagree entirely, for the sake of conversation I will just put this pit there. These are jokes playin on common stereotypes. As someone who understands that, I find these jokes comical in the sense that it makes fun of people who hold these stereotypes.Fwiw, the most complained about joke in that thread was about Jewish noses. The first ten times or so I heard that joke it was told to me by Jewish friends.

Srsly?

Jokes about pushing Jews into ovens are offensive

Jokes about Jews being "cheap" are not terribly funny because they play on a stereotype that hasnt really been true for like 500 years, but I wouldnt say they are offensive

Jokes about large Jewish noses can be humorous in the right context but I cant see how they would be offensive to anyone (spoken as an owner of such a nose)

#73 Trub L

Trub L

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112413 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 17 December 2013 - 07:47 AM

Oooooh, noses.  Yeah, I totally missed that one.

We Polish folk never were very bright, though. 

#74 Gumbo Leviathan

Gumbo Leviathan

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35311 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 07:48 AM

I didn't read the thread at all - not one post - but the question I've been wondering when reading this thread is, "Would you say them out loud?"

Remember my story from hunting camp last year with the guys telling the Sheriff Bart jokes?

Actually this is a good point.

I personally dont get terribly offended when I read some really horrible jokes about jews (say referring to ovens).  But I have been in a situation where jokes like that came out while sitting at a bar with "friends" and it started getting slightly personal.  I dont know why but for some reason hearing those jokes told in person made it seem much more "real" than just reading some dumb words on a screen.

#75 MissPerforation

MissPerforation

Official Thing Holder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1479 posts
  • Location1 toke over the line

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:05 AM

This.  We are not allowed to post straight up nudie pix even with a warning/spoiler tag.  I liken that thread to simply posting a giant dick inside a spoiler. 

Regardless that stuff doesnt belong here.

this +1. There are lots of jiggling bloobs and backsides in here - from me they are eye-roll worthy and I move on. BUT if you put a giggling vag in the Gif thread then it's kinda over the line. Not because we're all prudish, but because it's low.

The standards of the BB may not be that high, but we do have them.  

Besides, we have an outlet - used to be thelifeboat, but now I think it's InBeforeTheLock? I understand those web sites were created to post stuff there that is not appropriate here, no?

#76 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:30 AM

I poked my head in there to check it out.  Based on the thread title, I knew what I was getting into.  After reading some of them, I was a bit shocked but figured I would just otherwise avoid the thread which would have been fine with me.

But I get the point that there is a base image that we need to have.  This is a public forum that is available to the entire world (more or less) and I don't think that Scott wants that perception that we are a bunch of intolerant Archie Bunkers.  

I also have two anecdotes related to this.

1.  Just because you have a lot of Jewish/Black/Polish/Irish/Catholic/Lesbian/Muslim/Gay/Mormon does not make it appropriate.  I think we have been through this argument before and it never wins.

2.  Someone made the comment in another post "is this stuff you would say out loud"?  Well, this is even worse.  A mentor of mine always said "never put in writing something that you wouldn't want to appear on the front page of the Wall Street Journal someday."  In that context, be glad... be very glad that thread was taken down.

#77 LibraAle

LibraAle

Comptroller of Nuns and Apostles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1970 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:53 AM

If they do it here, I'll report it.

#78 Trub L

Trub L

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112413 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:54 AM

It's okay if I make fun of *my* people, though, right?

#79 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:06 AM

Trubloutarians are dummies.  :P

#80 LibraAle

LibraAle

Comptroller of Nuns and Apostles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1970 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:07 AM

Sure. Mock people with wrongheaded views about nearly everything as much as you like. :P Also Clevelanders.

Edited by LibraAle, 17 December 2013 - 09:07 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users