#21 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 17 August 2009 - 09:31 AM

I don't think waiting 10 mins is necessary. It's just rinsing at this point (not mashing) so why wait? Extreme stirring will definitely help though :blush:

You're correct. The wait is completely unnecessary.

#22 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 17 August 2009 - 09:33 AM

I was actually thinking of changing my process to add an extra sparge step. Here is the thinking and I am interested in comments. My belief is that at the end of the processes my grains are wet with approximately 1 gallon of wort. If I did a no sparge method those wet grains would be soaked with say 1.050 wort leaving a lot of sugars behind. If I do my normal single sparge method the second runnings have a significantly lower gravity so I am leaving less sugars behind. If I add another batch sparge step my grains would be left with an even lower gravity work soaked in them. Does that make sense?

My experience is that a second sparge adds about 2 points to overall gravity. For me, that's not enough to be worth my time and effort. I suggest you look at crush and water and get to the root of the issue.

Along a related topic I was going to ask if people notice a lower efficiency when making higher gravity beers. My thinking again is that I sparge to collect enough wort to make my starting volume usually 6-3/4 gallons. If I brew a higher gravity been and collect the same starting volume as a lower gravity beer wouldn't I be leaving more sugars behind and, therefore, have a lower efficiency?

You're correct. In order to get close the same efficiency, you need to sparge more and boil longer.

#23 CoastieSteve

CoastieSteve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 06:15 PM

Denny, at what gravity do you usually increase the sparge and boil as described above?

#24 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 18 August 2009 - 11:10 AM

Denny, at what gravity do you usually increase the sparge and boil as described above?

No hard and fast rule, but I'd say in the 1.080+ range.

#25 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 18 August 2009 - 01:29 PM

Denny, just to be sure I'm clear: When you say that you sparge only once, you are not counting the first runnings as a sparge. In other words, you drain, add sparge water, and then drain a second time, right?

#26 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48040 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 18 August 2009 - 04:02 PM

Denny, just to be sure I'm clear: When you say that you sparge only once, you are not counting the first runnings as a sparge. In other words, you drain, add sparge water, and then drain a second time, right?

That's what I do. I'm sure that's what Big D does, too. :P

#27 MX1

MX1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 11:48 PM

Well guys I brewed yesterday. I changed a few things, and now that I think about it I wish I would have only changed one at a time....Changes:1. I crushed my grain, not the LHBS2. Thinner mash 1.75/13. Single sparge.Eff 74.8%I think I am going to dial back the initial amount of strike water but still keep it thiner than in the past.I also, think I will go back to 2 sparges....just feels rightEnd state: It is all about the crushTim

#28 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48040 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 19 August 2009 - 06:14 AM

...End state: It is all about the crushTim

Yep

#29 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 19 August 2009 - 10:05 AM

Correct.

#30 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 19 August 2009 - 10:07 AM

I also, think I will go back to 2 sparges....just feels right

This is something I just don't understand, but it's your brew day!

#31 MX1

MX1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 12:27 PM

This is something I just don't understand, but it's your brew day!

It is all good, I understand your feelings on this issue.I guess it comes down to what I feel is "right" for me.Every beer I have brewed, except yesterdays, I have Dbl batch sparged.Yesterday, although I saved 30 min or so, it just didn't "feel" right.But, this is one of the great things about home brewing, so many roads that lead you to the same place....Tim

#32 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 19 August 2009 - 12:43 PM

Yesterday, although I saved 30 min or so, it just didn't "feel" right.

You'll get over that feeling when you realize the beer is just as good and you saved 30 min! :P

#33 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10748 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 19 August 2009 - 04:24 PM

The extra sparge may not really add much to the brew day if you are bringing your already collected wort up to a boil while you are doing the additional sparge. I am very comfortable with a single sparge and I try to collect about an even amount of wort each time. I do measure my first runnings and add just enough sparge water to get me to my boil start volume. The first runnings already account for grain absorption and dead space in the mash tun, so it is an easy calculation. Next brew day I plan to do an additional sparge with a gallon or so and measure the gravity of each running to see how much potential gravity I'm throwing out with the grains. From Denny's prior post on my question I suspect the second sparge/third runnings will be very weak and I'll likely just put it down the drain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users