#21 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 09 October 2010 - 05:13 AM

I am heading to the World Beer Festival here in NC today and have been looking at the brewery/beer list. Seeing that this beer and the Decadent that was just mentioned are being poured I am going to be sure to try them both. Beer List

#22 love2fishfork

love2fishfork

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted 09 October 2010 - 10:50 AM

This guy has no business reviewing beer. Here is a quote from the review "To me, it tasted like a dirty sock." He rated Modus a 0/10 I suppose he would rate PBR a 10! Modus Review We should all jump on and comment!

#23 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 09 October 2010 - 11:22 AM

This guy has no business reviewing beer. Here is a quote from the review "To me, it tasted like a dirty sock." He rated Modus a 0/10 I suppose he would rate PBR a 10! Modus Review We should all jump on and comment!

Well, I wouldn't call it a dirty sock, but about every third or fourth 6-pack I get of Modus does give me a kind of medicinal band aid flavor...and I love it! I blame it on freshness, I think it's the way Modus is supposed to taste. It's so unique, and not offensive. I know when I say band-aid people start to cringe, but I love it! It's almost like they extracted hops down to a simple, pure liquid!

#24 jimdkc

jimdkc

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4997 posts
  • LocationIndependence, MO

Posted 09 October 2010 - 01:27 PM

I saw this in cans at Lukas Liquors last time I was there and nearly bought a 6-pack. I wish I had! I'll look for it next time... sounds great!Sounds like a good recipe to brew, too!Jim

#25 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 10 October 2010 - 04:39 AM

I am heading to the World Beer Festival here in NC today and have been looking at the brewery/beer list. Seeing that this beer and the Decadent that was just mentioned are being poured I am going to be sure to try them both. Beer List

I tried both of these two beers yesterday. I thought the Modus was a nicely hopped and flavorful IPA. The Decadent was definitely an Impy IPA. Enjoyed that though too.

Have to agree that review is lame to say the least. Maybe he should have tried it a second time or somewhere else before he made a silly review like that. The beer is pretty good in my opinion. If only I could get it locally.

#26 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:03 AM

Looks like the same grains, but nice subs on the hops! Looks like a winner to me!

#27 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19059 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 31 January 2011 - 12:36 PM

Wow, I would have bet money that they used some kind of dank, resiny hops like Summit.

Ditto, I don't get any Cascade character at all. :D

#28 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 31 January 2011 - 01:24 PM

Ditto, I don't get any Cascade character at all. :D

That's funny because in an e-mail the brewer told me they like to get the most "cascade" flavor that they can. I really didn't think it was all that cascade-y at first, but I do get it sometimes. I wonder if it's just an intense use of hops and salt additions?

#29 porter

porter

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19059 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 02:05 PM

That's funny because in an e-mail the brewer told me they like to get the most "cascade" flavor that they can. I really didn't think it was all that cascade-y at first, but I do get it sometimes. I wonder if it's just an intense use of hops and salt additions?

Yeah, I dunno. Maybe I'll have to try this. I'm just surprised because: A. I buy Modus all the time and enjoy it, and B. I admit I'm not great at picking out hop varieties, but if I had to name one I could pick out, it would be Cascade (Simcoe would be second). I've drank probably a hundred cans of this stuff, and never once did Cascade cross my mind.

#30 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 31 January 2011 - 07:33 PM

I wanted to post again ad make sure porter knew I wasn't trying to be a douche earlier. I said "That's funny because in an e-mail the brewer told me they like to get the most "cascade" flavor that they can." What I failed to also say was that I also didn't pick out cascade as the dominant hop in this beer. I've had a ton of it too!Just making sure I didn't come across kind of douche-y. After I reread it, it kinds of seems like it was. I actually totally agreed with you! :)

#31 porter

porter

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19059 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:23 AM

No worries, didn't get that impression at all. Just surprised. Seems like a good excuse to pick up a six pack though!

#32 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 01 February 2011 - 02:30 PM

Cheers to that! I should get some before the snow blocks me in! :)

#33 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 08 February 2011 - 07:11 PM

Yeah!If that 002 is similar to Safale 04, then that sounds about right. I had that 04 chew threw a beer in three days of a cool ferment!

#34 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:35 AM

Yeah! If that 002 is similar to Safale 04, then that sounds about right. I had that 04 chew threw a beer in three days of a cool ferment!

Never used S-04, but 002 is the Fuller's yeast it ferments quick and drops like a stone. Some will say 002 doesn't ferment dry enough and it may not on larger beers, I haven't had any issues with it fermenting out myself though. I have never used it anything larger than a 6% beer however.

#35 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 09 February 2011 - 12:06 PM

Never used S-04, but 002 is the Fuller's yeast it ferments quick and drops like a stone. Some will say 002 doesn't ferment dry enough and it may not on larger beers, I haven't had any issues with it fermenting out myself though. I have never used it anything larger than a 6% beer however.

Yea, I think this beer comes in at 6.5, and my version came in at 7. The 04 had no problem chewing through that.

#36 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 23 February 2011 - 01:45 PM

When I first made this, it was my best beer! It took a first at a local comp too!

#37 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:47 PM

I came up with my take on this, and bought the ingredients today. It might be another 1-2 weeks before I get to it though.

Burtonize water for mash and sparge.

10.5 pounds 2-row
0.75 pounds Crystal 120L
0.50 pounds Red Wheat Malt

1.00 oz Centennial 90 min
1.00 oz Cascade 10 min
1.00 oz Columbus 10 min
0.50 oz Cascade 5 min
0.50 oz Summit 5 min
0.25 oz Cascade 0 min
0.25 oz Columbus 0 min
3.00 oz Cascade dry hopped secondary

WLP002 English Ale yeast

Mash at 156*F

Calculated: OG 1.065, IBU 69, SRM 13, ABV 5%, FG 1.016

Modus is one of my fav IPA's. Going to try this recipe soon. Don't have any Summit though so will sub that addition with probably one of the C-hops.

#38 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16516 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:55 PM

I wont ever mash a beer at 156*. IpA should be dry IMO.

#39 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:41 PM

It really works, IMO.

give you that lip licking sweet malty effect?

#40 Rick

Rick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:52 PM

I thought it was more of a body addition than a perceived sweetness. I think it's a good balance.

Yeah agreed. There is something about a high mash temp and IPA.

I recently gave the Lagunitas' method a try in my IPA. I mashed at 160ºF, finished about .005 higher, but damn it gave it this awesome body, mouthfeel, and head retention. Very drinkable.

But I do have to say, I definitely can't drink as many as my 150ºF mash version before I started feeling full.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users