#1 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 10 August 2009 - 09:39 PM

Hey all,I was wondering if anyone has a clone, or something similar to Ska Brewing's Modus Hoperandi. I'm drinking it in from the can (in a glass of course) and it's got crazy hop flavor and aroma! Does anyone know much about this beer, because their website seems to be more of a joke than a place to learn about their beers. I would love to hear if anyone has made anything remotely close to this!

#2 dagomike

dagomike

Comptroller of CrapPapples

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19171 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 06:06 PM

Never heard of this, but that's an awesome beer name!

#3 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 12 August 2009 - 09:28 PM

No one else?

#4 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 12 August 2009 - 09:29 PM

Never heard of it or Ska Brewing. If this is a Chicago brewery, I have some research in my future this fall <_<

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 02:57 AM

Ska is out of Durango Colorado. I would love to try their stuff. They put together 2 things I love .. beer and Ska music. Did you try and e-mail them? They have a section on their site about open source brewing. It says they will give out the recipes if you promise to try them , tweak them and thread them. Worth a shot.

#6 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 13 August 2009 - 08:26 AM

Did you try and e-mail them? They have a section on their site about open source brewing. It says they will give out the recipes if you promise to try them , tweak them and thread them. Worth a shot.

You know I never even thought about that! I've had limited success with trying to ask breweries about their recipes but I'm going to have to give this a try. Oh, and Chuck D, It's (obviously) not FROM Chicago, but trust me you need to try it. Take a walk to Binny's (liquor store) and pick up a six-pack of cans. You will thank me when you do, It's one of the best IPAs I've ever had!

#7 orudis

orudis

Deputy Comptroller of Rarts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25196 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 14 August 2009 - 09:29 AM

I had this beer in Durango this summer and absolutely loved it. I think I still have a few cans in the fridge. I will drink some more and try to come up with something. Agree on the website being a joke.

#8 love2fishfork

love2fishfork

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted 23 September 2010 - 05:21 PM

They have this on tap (actually it's a cask that they have to pump out) at a local place near me. I love it and would love a recipe.

#9 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

Comptroller of Teh Beefs and other beeflike animals that are tas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8209 posts
  • LocationGreat Plains, KS

Posted 23 September 2010 - 05:47 PM

My favorite IPA, drinking some right now. Would also love to see a recipe.

#10 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 05:19 AM

My favorite IPA, drinking some right now. Would also love to see a recipe.

Jayb and I got the same e-mail from SKA. I was able to try his in a swap and it was real nice. Sadly, it has not made it into my rotation yet. " Modus: OG: 1.065 FG: 1.014 IBU: 68-70 I don’t do any extract, so below is all grain. Burtonize your water. We have very neutral water here in Durango, so it’s an ass ton of salts, but for our water, we have to use Gypsum, Canning Salt and Baking Soda. Your waters will be different, as one of you guys is in NJ and the other is in Texas. You want to accentuate the hop character, so some salts will be necessary, it just depends on your water profile to begin with. 88% two row malt 7% Crystal 120L 5% Red Wheat malt Strike and mash and hold at 156 F. For one hour. Sparge to full kettle. In Durango 7000 feet, we get about 6% evaporation and we find that a 90 minute boil is necessary to get the BU range and to get the appropriate caramelization. The lower the altitude, the less boil time you will need. Hops: we attempt to get as much “Cascade” character as possible in this beer. We use Centennial hops for bittering, a combination of Cascades and CTZ for flavoring and then we do a 5 minute remaining addition of CTZ and Cascades, and then a 0 minute addition of CTZ and Cascades into the Whirlpool. Ferment fairly warm, 70 degrees, and use a high attenuating English yeast strain. At close to terminal gravity, no more than a day before, dry hop with Cascades, and it’s a bunch we use about 1.2 pounds per barrel if that helps. Allow the dry hops to sit warm for at least 3 days before any cooling begins. We force carbonate to 2.58 volumes CO2. Volia that’s the Modus. Let me know how you beers turn out and happy brewing, Bill"

#11 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8209 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 05:33 AM

Jayb and I got the same e-mail from SKA. I was able to try his in a swap and it was real nice. Sadly, it has not made it into my rotation yet. " Modus: OG: 1.065 FG: 1.014 IBU: 68-70 I don’t do any extract, so below is all grain. Burtonize your water. We have very neutral water here in Durango, so it’s an ass ton of salts, but for our water, we have to use Gypsum, Canning Salt and Baking Soda. Your waters will be different, as one of you guys is in NJ and the other is in Texas. You want to accentuate the hop character, so some salts will be necessary, it just depends on your water profile to begin with. 88% two row malt 7% Crystal 120L 5% Red Wheat malt Strike and mash and hold at 156 F. For one hour. Sparge to full kettle. In Durango 7000 feet, we get about 6% evaporation and we find that a 90 minute boil is necessary to get the BU range and to get the appropriate caramelization. The lower the altitude, the less boil time you will need. Hops: we attempt to get as much “Cascade” character as possible in this beer. We use Centennial hops for bittering, a combination of Cascades and CTZ for flavoring and then we do a 5 minute remaining addition of CTZ and Cascades, and then a 0 minute addition of CTZ and Cascades into the Whirlpool. Ferment fairly warm, 70 degrees, and use a high attenuating English yeast strain. At close to terminal gravity, no more than a day before, dry hop with Cascades, and it’s a bunch we use about 1.2 pounds per barrel if that helps. Allow the dry hops to sit warm for at least 3 days before any cooling begins. We force carbonate to 2.58 volumes CO2. Volia that’s the Modus. Let me know how you beers turn out and happy brewing, Bill"

Some great info here, answers a lot of questions. Thanks for the post :cheers:

#12 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8209 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 06:47 AM

After reading again, am I seeing correctly that this calls for a dry hop in primary? I think I'd rack over to keg and then dry hop, leave at room temp for a few days, then crash and jump to a new keg. Thoughts?

#13 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 24 September 2010 - 07:44 AM

Wow, I would have bet money that they used some kind of dank, resiny hops like Summit.

#14 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 24 September 2010 - 08:01 AM

Were finally getting a steady supply here in Lawrence. Id say its the best IpA we get right now, at least a different one.

Wow, I would have bet money that they used some kind of dank, resiny hops like Summit.

I would of picked out Simcoe in this myself.

#15 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 24 September 2010 - 08:05 AM

I would have picked out Simcoe in this myself.

Simcoe is definitely in the same ballpark. I think it's more piney though. Summit is more like kerosene with a garlic kicker.

#16 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8209 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 08:34 AM

Were finally getting a steady supply here in Lawrence. Id say its the best IpA we get right now, at least a different one. I would of picked out Simcoe in this myself.

I remember talking with you about this the other night. I think I'd still add a FWH addition of simcoe to replicate that dankiness.

#17 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 24 September 2010 - 01:51 PM

I did end up FWHopping it but I stuck to only what Bill said. Cascade, cents, and Columbus. It turned out great exept for the two lbs of grain I forgot to add. In the end, It turned out like a pale ale instead of an IPA. It still won an award over at Crown Brewing's comp (in Indiana).

#18 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 24 September 2010 - 08:10 PM

After some minor arm twisting the wife and I had a couple at a local burger place tonight. I finally fessed up and told her you guys talked me into it because I knew they had it therePosted Image Since she's a hophead it was a great idea.

#19 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 25 September 2010 - 07:30 AM

Ha, I'm the same way. I hate energy drinks but thanks to the PH I actually bought... Teh JOOSE! :rolf: bad suggestion guys.

#20 love2fishfork

love2fishfork

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted 08 October 2010 - 04:20 PM

Dan,
They have it on tap at Llywelyn's in OP! I'm going to brew a batch next time I brew!

I just had Decadent Imperial IPA from the same brewery. Very good. 10% ABV 22oz bottle!

After some minor arm twisting the wife and I had a couple at a local burger place tonight. I finally fessed up and told her you guys talked me into it because I knew they had it therePosted Image Since she's a hophead it was a great idea.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users