#61 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16528 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 28 April 2014 - 10:07 AM

I do find the red tinted foam interesting.

#62 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:31 PM

Posted Image

#63 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54161 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:49 PM

That's got some nice red in it. It's not grenadine-colored but it's very pretty. Nice work CWG.

#64 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 30 April 2014 - 05:00 AM

Not exactly bright sunlight yesterday but thanks!

#65 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54161 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 05:23 AM

Not exactly bright sunlight yesterday but thanks!

I hear that.

#66 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49864 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:20 AM

I put mine on tap friday, I will take a picture today. Agreed on the character. Very malty, full bodied and rich. Overall a very nice ingredient.

#67 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:09 AM

I am envisioning a simple session malty amber/red beer about 1.045-50 with this malt as the base and maybe a 1/4# of special B to make it full on RED. Small addition of willamette around 10 or 15 minutes and fermented with something like WLP011 or other malt accentuating yeast. Somebody... run with this and make it better.

#68 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54161 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 12:09 PM

I am envisioning a simple session malty amber/red beer about 1.045-50 with this malt as the base and maybe a 1/4# of special B to make it full on RED. Small addition of willamette around 10 or 15 minutes and fermented with something like WLP011 or other malt accentuating yeast. Somebody... run with this and make it better.

I thought about the Special B as well. RedX + Special B should = super red beer. Not sure about the WLP011 (although I have it in stock at the moment) but I like the sound of the rest of it. Cheers.

#69 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 12:22 PM

I thought about the Special B as well. RedX + Special B should = super red beer. Not sure about the WLP011 (although I have it in stock at the moment) but I like the sound of the rest of it. Cheers.

WLP011…I was thinking malty and clean. There are others that would work too. Some english yeasts done cold or an alt yeast maybe? Was really just thinking about something that is simple, red, sessionable, malt forward and showcases the Red X. 

#70 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 12:25 PM

Mix some cascades in there.  I would go with simple with S-04 just because I am lazy.

I have been thinking of using this malt with some rye and a touch of c-40 and 120 to make a red IPA.

#71 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 30 April 2014 - 12:29 PM

Mix some cascades in there.  I would go with simple with S-04 just because I am lazy.

I have been thinking of using this malt with some rye and a touch of c-40 and 120 to make a red IPA.

I'd only use 40% or so red x in an ipa. Otherwise it might be so malty as to hide the hops.

#72 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 12:31 PM

I'd only use 40% or so red x in an ipa. Otherwise it might be so malty as to hide the hops.

Thanks for that.  I had not figured out %'s yet but this is helpful.

#73 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 30 April 2014 - 12:52 PM

Brother Ken,

Wadda ya think about incorporating some of this malt into a 'variation' on your HRR.  It might spike the color even more.  I've taken HRR your recipe and amped it up a bit and also changed the malts a bit with the exception of the equal amounts of 120 and B and came out with a nice red Saison...  I'm thinking using some BMRX in the HRR might be something neat to try?????

Mix some cascades in there.  I would go with simple with S-04 just because I am lazy. I have been thinking of using this malt with some rye and a touch of c-40 and 120 to make a red IPA.

Me thinks rye and red would/could be like peas and carrots :)

#74 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54161 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 12:59 PM

Brother Ken, Wadda ya think about incorporating some of this malt into a 'variation' on your HRR.  It might spike the color even more.  I've taken HRR your recipe and amped it up a bit and also changed the malts a bit with the exception of the equal amounts of 120 and B and came out with a nice red Saison...  I'm thinking using some BMRX in the HRR might be something neat to try?????Me thinks rye and red would/could be like peas and carrots :)

Yep, I could see it. I know I've mentioned this before but I have also used some Thomas Fawcett & Sons Dark Crystal #1 in place of the C120. The TF&S has a lot of red in it so it makes a nice red ale, red lager, etc. I should see if my LHBS carries the RedX. I wouldn't want a whole sack of it but it would be fun to use as maybe 50% of the grain bill or whatever.

#75 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:02 PM

Yep, I could see it. I know I've mentioned this before but I have also used some Thomas Fawcett & Sons Dark Crystal #1 in place of the C120. The TF&S has a lot of red in it so it makes a nice red ale, red lager, etc. I should see if my LHBS carries the RedX. I wouldn't want a whole sack of it but it would be fun to use as maybe 50% of the grain bill or whateve

If you don't find it locally, you can order it from Farmhouse. I picked up some from them until I was able to secure a sack.

#76 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:07 PM

WLP011…I was thinking malty and clean. There are others that would work too. Some english yeasts done cold or an alt yeast maybe? Was really just thinking about something that is simple, red, sessionable, malt forward and showcases the Red X.

I've been thinking of 50:50 Red X: Pilsner, 2-4oz of CaraAroma 120 to 12 Plato, 35 IBUs of Saphir and WLP011 for a nice red Alt.

#77 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54161 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 02:58 PM

The juices are flowing in here... I like it. :P

#78 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 30 April 2014 - 03:56 PM

I've been thinking of 50:50 Red X: Pilsner, 2-4oz of CaraAroma 120 to 12 Plato, 35 IBUs of Saphir and WLP011 for a nice red Alt.

Been anxious to try an Alt. Full attention here.

#79 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 04:46 PM

Well we weren't too far off from each other were we? Never made an alt, in fact I'm not sure I've ever tasted one either.

#80 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 30 April 2014 - 05:33 PM

Well we weren't too far off from each other were we? Never made an alt, in fact I'm not sure I've ever tasted one either.

We certainly seemed to have something very similar in mind. My recipe isn't a classic Alt recipe, more of a "in the style of" recipe.

The tricks to an Alt, IMO is that it should be malty but dry (I shoot for an FG of 1.008-1.010 from an OG of 1.048), a solid, but not over the top bitterness (I like 30-40 IBUs for that OG), a mild, but noticeable noble hop character. A very subtle roast from a couple ounces of Roasted Wheat or Carafa Special isn't out of character.

1007 is the best yeast, but it is a pain to drop out. I've learned to use WLP011 as a nice substitute, and it drops clear like a British yeast. However, you need to be careful with recipe and mash schedule to make sure it reaches that critical dryness; don't Americanize the OG, use very little to no Crystal Malt, and mash low (149F works for me).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users