Photo
- - - - -

Which perf stock for a stainless false bottom?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64148 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 07 August 2009 - 07:48 AM

Anyone know what size hole and center-to-center spacing that the commercial suppliers are using for their false bottoms?

#2 tag

tag

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1209 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 07 August 2009 - 11:03 AM

I believe SABCO's is 3/32" on 5/32 centers.

#3 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64148 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 07 August 2009 - 12:43 PM

I believe SABCO's is 3/32" on 5/32 centers.

OK, thanks. $90 for a false bottom is ridiculous. I just put in an RFQ from a perf metal supplier. I'm interested to see what they come back with.

#4 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 07 August 2009 - 01:12 PM

OK, thanks. $90 for a false bottom is ridiculous. I just put in an RFQ from a perf metal supplier. I'm interested to see what they come back with.

Yeah, my suspicion is that the $90 price has a substantial profit margin built into it. I'm also interested to see what they come back with.

#5 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 07 August 2009 - 01:35 PM

Add me to the list, I could use another FB or two.

#6 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64148 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 07 August 2009 - 01:36 PM

Well, if I buy a sheet of perf stock I'll be selling false bottoms for cheap, so if anyone needs one....:(

#7 NWPines

NWPines

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationEugene, OR

Posted 07 August 2009 - 01:49 PM

I agree that $90 for a false bottom is steep, but I will say that the design of the Sabco product works extremely well. I was fortunate enough to get one a few years ago for a great price. The main piece of advice I have is to make one that is full-size and covers the entire width of your keg. In my opinion, the smaller flimsier ones like This are simply not adequate.FWIW, I usually fly sparge and have a Wit that is 48% flaked wheat and 10% flaked oats, I don't use rice hulls and have never even come close to having a stuck sparge.By the way, the Sabco FB is made of 16 gauge stainless, is 15" in diameter and the holes are 3/32" diameter on 5/32" centers.

#8 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 07 August 2009 - 02:00 PM

PM Swagman if he doesn't chime in. He's made quite a few of them.

#9 tag

tag

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1209 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 07 August 2009 - 02:03 PM

You can make 4-5 from this sheet. https://www.mcmaster...358t311/=337eudAnd I'll take one. It doesn't need to be hinged for me.

#10 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64148 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 07 August 2009 - 02:06 PM

I got a quote for a 4'x8' sheet of 16 ga. stainless with 3/32" holes on 5/32" centers (same as Sabco), including have the sheet cut down into 16" squares. Total per 16" square would be about $23. You'd have to cut it to round and weld some brackets on it, still a lot better than $90.Turns out the supplier's warehouse is less than 3 miles from where I work. I might have to swing by to see if the have any scraps laying around. Maybe I should check if they'll cut it to circles.

Edited by JKoravos, 07 August 2009 - 02:07 PM.

#11 tag

tag

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1209 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 07 August 2009 - 02:17 PM

I'll take 1 or 2!

#12 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 07 August 2009 - 03:07 PM

I bought this guy for my BK when I use whole hops. Not a bad price.

#13 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18079 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 04:10 PM

I got a quote for a 4'x8' sheet of 16 ga. stainless with 3/32" holes on 5/32" centers (same as Sabco), including have the sheet cut down into 16" squares. Total per 16" square would be about $23. You'd have to cut it to round and weld some brackets on it, still a lot better than $90.Turns out the supplier's warehouse is less than 3 miles from where I work. I might have to swing by to see if the have any scraps laying around. Maybe I should check if they'll cut it to circles.

If you do this let me know. I need a custom size for my hop back.

#14 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64148 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 07 August 2009 - 05:35 PM

I've had a fab shop doing some water jet cutting for me at work. I might give them a call, see what they'd charge for cutting up a sheet of perf stock. If it's reasonable, maybe I'll do a little group buy.

#15 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:13 AM

I'm thinking about doing Grant hopping. So, I'd be interested in a 16" square sheet.Actual size TBD later.

#16 SWAGMAN

SWAGMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationWACK AKA KANSAS CITY KANSAS

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:59 AM

cut a few using a plasma and circle jig. I have used two different sizes one is 1/16 x 1/8 stagger 18 gage and the other is 3/32 x 5/32 16 gage. With the keg bottom shaped as it is the dia will vary a bit from keg to keg but stay around the 15 inch dia. I dress them down on the belt sander to fit. I don't use feet as such but do use three 10-32 bolts set 120 degrees apart with a silver solder nut top and bottom. Just takes up less open area than the flat strap feet. I have use the lighter metal for years with no problems brewing five and ten gallon batch's with no feet. But a couple of brewers using systems I built with lighter metal ran into a law of physics that I can't explain but while brewing ten gallon large grain bill they occurred a problem with out side edge in one place the bent upward. About inch and a half across and about two inch wide upward bend. That why I started adding the three bolts and also trying the heavier metal. They have had no problems since the feet where added. I believe that the pressure force the false bottom down in the center the outside edge is setting on the concaved edge and that caused the metal to buckle up. Exactly why this old farm boy don't have a clue. JKoravos price is very good deal and fab shop or weld shop that has a plasma and circle cutter should not charge that much. Heck if your close to me stop by the shed and your can use mine free of charge. (but it would be nice to bring a cold one or two). If JKoravos gets them cut into circles you will be ahead of the game better ship him a few good ones along with the cash of course lol.Hope this helps and not confuse the issue.Dominus VobiscumSwagman

#17 tag

tag

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1209 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 10 August 2009 - 08:52 AM

Has anyone tried the "slotted' perforated metal?

#18 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25652 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 11 August 2009 - 04:32 AM

I made a false bottom like thing for an apple cider press I am creating.I used a sheet of 4 x 4 mesh, about 20 gauge. Cut to size, easy to do with wire cutters. This is to give it some support and strength. On top of that I laid a matching hunk of 16 X 16 mesh to act as the filter. Not sure all your are trying to do, but I made a 18" X 12" false bottom for about $10.00 plus the frame, which you will have to make.Something to consider.zymot

#19 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 11 August 2009 - 09:23 AM

cut a few using a plasma and circle jig. I have used two different sizes one is 1/16 x 1/8 stagger 18 gage and the other is 3/32 x 5/32 16 gage. With the keg bottom shaped as it is the dia will vary a bit from keg to keg but stay around the 15 inch dia. I dress them down on the belt sander to fit. I don't use feet as such but do use three 10-32 bolts set 120 degrees apart with a silver solder nut top and bottom. Just takes up less open area than the flat strap feet. I have use the lighter metal for years with no problems brewing five and ten gallon batch's with no feet. But a couple of brewers using systems I built with lighter metal ran into a law of physics that I can't explain but while brewing ten gallon large grain bill they occurred a problem with out side edge in one place the bent upward. About inch and a half across and about two inch wide upward bend. That why I started adding the three bolts and also trying the heavier metal. They have had no problems since the feet where added. I believe that the pressure force the false bottom down in the center the outside edge is setting on the concaved edge and that caused the metal to buckle up. Exactly why this old farm boy don't have a clue. JKoravos price is very good deal and fab shop or weld shop that has a plasma and circle cutter should not charge that much. Heck if your close to me stop by the shed and your can use mine free of charge. (but it would be nice to bring a cold one or two). If JKoravos gets them cut into circles you will be ahead of the game better ship him a few good ones along with the cash of course lol.Hope this helps and not confuse the issue.Dominus VobiscumSwagman

If JKoravos gets these cut into the circle that would fit my SABCO, he's definitely gettin a few from me. Heck I might even add him as a friend here on the BB. lolWould still need the hinge to get it in to the SABCO kettle right?

Edited by badogg, 11 August 2009 - 09:24 AM.

#20 tag

tag

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1209 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 11 August 2009 - 11:02 AM

If JKoravos gets these cut into the circle that would fit my SABCO, he's definitely gettin a few from me. Heck I might even add him as a friend here on the BB. lolWould still need the hinge to get it in to the SABCO kettle right?

There are a couple of other ways to get a FB in. One way is to cut slits in the top to slide it in through. Another way is to make 2 halves that are larger than 8". They will fit through the top and support each other in the tun.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users