Photo
- - - - -

Lagering in a Better Bottle

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

Poll: Lagering (0 member(s) have cast votes)

Better bottles are okay for lagering?

1. Heck yes! (19 votes [51.35%])

Percentage of vote: 51.35%

2. No way! (5 votes [13.51%])

Percentage of vote: 13.51%

3. I don't know/no pants (13 votes [35.14%])

Percentage of vote: 35.14%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 BeerMaker

BeerMaker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 04 April 2009 - 02:02 PM

I was thinking of picking up a few BB for doing some lambics in them. Nothing but lambics in them. I figure get three of them and try to keep a constant 1, 2, 3 year thing going and then make my own blends every so often.

Nice idea. I've wanted to do a lambic since I started brewing, but never have. Given time and money my brewing will be pretty infrequent, but maybe I will be able to get 2-3 of these around summer time - which should hopefully bring more money in too! My main reason to switch to BB is get away from glass, I figure it is only a mater of time before I have an indecent with glass.

#22 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 04 April 2009 - 02:08 PM

I figure it is only a mater of time before I have an indecent with glass.

You sicko, what would you do with a carboy that's indecent?!

Edited by chuck_d, 04 April 2009 - 02:09 PM.

#23 Dave

Dave

Grammaraticus of Titty Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32475 posts
  • LocationLugnar Island

Posted 04 April 2009 - 03:59 PM

They look a bit like a typical water bottle in shape, but the plastic is not at all the same. That's why they're 20 times more expensive.

Being in the bottled water business I have bought some 5 gallon PET bottles ( just like the BB only no valves) and they're much cheaper than polycarb or glass. I'd call the local water distributors and ask if they carry PET and pay their deposit before I'd fork over the $$$ they want for the BB....Last time I ordered I think I paid 3.65 each ( large quantity)

#24 Dave

Dave

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32475 posts
  • LocationLugnar Island

Posted 04 April 2009 - 03:59 PM

*double post* :)

#25 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 04:53 PM

Being in the bottled water business I have bought some 5 gallon PET bottles ( just like the BB only no valves) and they're much cheaper than polycarb or glass. I'd call the local water distributors and ask if they carry PET and pay their deposit before I'd fork over the $$$ they want for the BB....Last time I ordered I think I paid 3.65 each ( large quantity)

I don't think they are the same plastic.

#26 Dave

Dave

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32475 posts
  • LocationLugnar Island

Posted 06 April 2009 - 05:37 AM

I don't think they are the same plastic.

They advertise that it's PET and the shape is exactly like the one's I bought even down to the ribbing ...

#27 BikeBrewer

BikeBrewer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • LocationKitchener, Ontario

Posted 06 April 2009 - 06:50 AM

How much do you guys pay for your BBs and carboys?

#28 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 06 April 2009 - 05:47 PM

I'm working on an O'fest as well. 'E-uge 4 l starter. Presently on week 3. Almost done.Yes, I used a better bottle.I'll let you know!

#29 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 02:48 AM

I'm working on an O'fest as well. 'E-uge 4 l starter. Presently on week 3. Almost done.Yes, I used a better bottle.I'll let you know!

How long are you lagering it for?

#30 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 07 April 2009 - 04:59 AM

One week at 50°FThen raised to 60°F. Just finishing second week of that.The krausen is down the last three days. I haven't checked the SG yet but I'm getting close to finished.

#31 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 07 April 2009 - 05:02 AM

How long are you lagering it for?

So I guess the smart aleck answer would be: "Till it's done." :blush:

#32 AspenLeif

AspenLeif

Comptroller of Gingerliness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28187 posts
  • LocationAspen, CO

Posted 07 April 2009 - 08:31 AM

They advertise that it's PET and the shape is exactly like the one's I bought even down to the ribbing ...

BB's are made of a different hybird resin that is less permeable.A couple of years ago on the greenboard...I designed like a 3 page calculation and did a bunch of research talking to my old materials engineering professor and a couple contacts from A-B to verify my calculation...and was looking for some data points from you guys who brew in plastics. All I had to do was plug in your numbers to give 'shelf-lives' of different vessels...and no one ever took me up on it so I could build a FAQ. I still have all that research somewhere and would like to complete it.MB

#33 BikeBrewer

BikeBrewer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • LocationKitchener, Ontario

Posted 07 April 2009 - 09:37 AM

BB's are made of a different hybird resin that is less permeable.A couple of years ago on the greenboard...I designed like a 3 page calculation and did a bunch of research talking to my old materials engineering professor and a couple contacts from A-B to verify my calculation...and was looking for some data points from you guys who brew in plastics. All I had to do was plug in your numbers to give 'shelf-lives' of different vessels...and no one ever took me up on it so I could build a FAQ. I still have all that research somewhere and would like to complete it.MB

What data were you looking for?

#34 AspenLeif

AspenLeif

Comptroller of Gingerliness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28187 posts
  • LocationAspen, CO

Posted 07 April 2009 - 09:43 AM

What data were you looking for?

See the new thread about building a FAQ :blush:MB

#35 Rustybrew

Rustybrew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationFort Worth, TX

Posted 15 April 2009 - 11:52 AM

Where would you buy bulk PET bottles from? This might make a good group buy if we found a source that was definitely using a material comparable to better bottles. I only own one because it kills me to pay over $20 for a plastic bottle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users