Photo
- - - - -

Lagering in a Better Bottle

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

Poll: Lagering (0 member(s) have cast votes)

Better bottles are okay for lagering?

1. Heck yes! (19 votes [51.35%])

Percentage of vote: 51.35%

2. No way! (5 votes [13.51%])

Percentage of vote: 13.51%

3. I don't know/no pants (13 votes [35.14%])

Percentage of vote: 35.14%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 03:46 AM

I've been wondering - are better bottles okay for lagering? I know they are supposed to be pretty air tight but is there still a risk of oxidizing the beer? In a week or two I'll probably have a free keg that I can transfer into for the remainder of the lager if this is a good idea. Thoughts?

#2 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 03 April 2009 - 04:07 AM

Brew365.com has some advice about your topic I found. I would say not to do it. Its plastic and you don't wanna age long in plastic. Brew365

#3 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 04:38 AM

Brew365.com has some advice about your topic I found. I would say not to do it. Its plastic and you don't wanna age long in plastic. Brew365

Doh - it's already been in there for a couple of months and I won't have a free keg for at least another week :covreyes:edit: although they are supposed to be "virtually impervious" to O2...

#4 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 04:44 AM

I've voted for "I don't know" in my own poll for now. I don't think this is clear cut yet...

#5 tjthresh

tjthresh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, IN

Posted 03 April 2009 - 04:53 AM

That's not what he's saying.He's transfering from a 6.5 Better Bottle to a 5 Better Bottle. He's transfering because you don't want to leave the beer on the yeast for that long. A Better Bottle should be fine for lagering.

#6 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 03 April 2009 - 05:06 AM

I'm doing a O'fest and keeping it in a 6.5 gal better bottle. It should be done this weekend. That makes two weeks total ferment time. I'm told there won't be a problem. See my thread on lager technique

#7 dagomike

dagomike

Comptroller of CrapPapples

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19227 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 05:22 AM

Practically speaking it should be fine, particularly because it's cold. I still wouldn't do it, but I'm weird that way. :covreyes:

#8 BrianBrewerKS

BrianBrewerKS

Comptroller of Winging It

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 05:32 AM

I don't see much of a problem with it. I mean, I don't worry about how long the water has been in the plastic bottle that I sometimes buy. I realize that water and beer are two different things, but I still wouldn't worry.EDIT: And does anyone lager in a plastic bucket? What's the difference 'tween that and a better bottle? Or is oxidation the main worry? (air leaking in)

Edited by BrianBrewerKS, 03 April 2009 - 05:33 AM.

#9 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 03 April 2009 - 05:44 AM

Lagering in a Better Bottle is not the same as lagering in a plastic bucket. The Better Bottle is much, much less oxygen permeable than a plastic bucket, and therefore should be fine for lagering..... unless there is some other issue with a long term exposure of your beer to that type of plastic which I'm unaware.

Edited by stellarbrew, 03 April 2009 - 05:52 AM.

#10 BikeBrewer

BikeBrewer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • LocationKitchener, Ontario

Posted 03 April 2009 - 06:01 AM

I've got about 16 kegs, so I really don't need to use better bottles for aging, but I wouldn't hesitate to use one if that's what I had. I really like them, they've got a very low oxygen permiability, they weigh almost nothing, and they cost $1 more than a carbouy, though they come with 2 stoppers.

#11 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54185 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 06:06 AM

I don't think that it's the plastic as much as the enclosure at the top. I am always slightly nervous about putting a stopper into my Better Bottle because it never seems to want to sit in there just right. I have a lager in a 5 gallon Better Bottle right now and it's been in there for 2-3 weeks. I don't plan on leaving in there much longer... but I'm not concerned that the plastic will allow oxygen in, I'm concerned that if I go into my beer bunker and sneeze (or the kids go in there to get my collection of Sharpies), the stopper will fall out. :covreyes:

#12 BrianBrewerKS

BrianBrewerKS

Comptroller of Winging It

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 06:11 AM

Ahh. Okay I understand then.The big reason I was interested is because the next time I'm in the market for a fermenter I was thinking of going the better bottle route. I've got 6.5 and 5 gallon glass carboys so far...and I'd like to eliminate some of the glass danger and the heavy weight.When I go that route, I'll prolly just lager in a corny. (or keep the 5 gal glass around)

#13 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48003 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 03 April 2009 - 06:12 AM

I've used nothing but BB's for years. I just finished a couple lagers and moved them to kegs. The American Standard spent 6 weeks total in BB's and the Rauch spent 4 weeks. No problems at all.

#14 rockon

rockon

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2666 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 03 April 2009 - 07:51 AM

I use better bottles a lot. If I was going to lay something down for like a year, I would put it into a cornie or an old glass carboy, but I think for a few months, the BBs are not a problem.

#15 Zulu

Zulu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:32 AM

Was told by an old time brewer not to age in Plastic because they are NOT impervious to O2, with primary fermentation being positive pressure, they work just fine.

#16 dagomike

dagomike

Comptroller of CrapPapples

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19227 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:43 AM

Was told by an old time brewer not to age in Plastic because they are NOT impervious to O2, with primary fermentation being positive pressure, they work just fine.

It has really nothing to do with pressure and more with time and yeast activity. Basically the beer is in the fermenter for such a short period of time not much O2 seeps in, and when it does the yeast are still active so they will both scrub and blow it off. Certainly the longer the beer is in the plastic, more O2 will come in, and after fermentation ends likely the odds of oxidation damage will increase. The key I think though is perspective. Racking will likely introduce more O2. Unless you rack under CO2 with fully purged kegs (I do!) the risk is probably relatively marginal. And even then, the oxidation may never show itself in typical homebrewer setup. $0.02.

#17 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48003 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 03 April 2009 - 12:28 PM

With all due respect to the old timer, his opinion doesn't really matter relative to better bottles. While not 100% impervious to oxygen, they are orders of magnitude better than typical old plastic. They look a bit like a typical water bottle in shape, but the plastic is not at all the same. That's why they're 20 times more expensive. They're safe for lagering. Trust me. :covreyes:

#18 BeerMaker

BeerMaker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 03 April 2009 - 12:44 PM

They're safe for lagering. Trust me. :covreyes:

Although I don't own any (yet), I have to agree with George. If you haven't already, check out this page (use the menu on the left to view the discussion on permeability) on the BB site for some info on the permeability of PET.For me, the advantages of these bottles greatly outweigh my concerns of oxidation. I hope to eventually get one or two and move away from glass.

Edited by BeerMaker, 03 April 2009 - 12:46 PM.

#19 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29316 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 04 April 2009 - 04:24 AM

i don't use BB (still using all glass or SS) but I would not hesitate to use a BB.

#20 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 04 April 2009 - 01:54 PM

I was thinking of picking up a few BB for doing some lambics in them. Nothing but lambics in them. I figure get three of them and try to keep a constant 1, 2, 3 year thing going and then make my own blends every so often.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users