#21 LBG Bill

LBG Bill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 26 March 2009 - 06:29 PM

I've grown fond of the Kiln Amber that blktre suggested I start using. Great flavor, adds good color and a lot goes a long ways. Great for Ales of all kinds.

#22 brewhead

brewhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 06:31 PM

Most of my recipes that I developed always have Marris Otter.

maybe it's my philistine taste buds but i cannot taste the differance between marris and regular two row. and my wallet can't either. plus marris otter is hand malted vs machine malted so you don't get the very same results each time.

#23 BarefootBrews

BarefootBrews

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 26 March 2009 - 06:40 PM

Base malt really depends on what I am brewing. I do opt for Belgian & German for specialty malts over American Crystal malts in most of my American ales. Used some Pale Chocolate Malt the other day in a Northern English Brown and have to say I was quite impressed with the results.

#24 Kunsan90

Kunsan90

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationPurgatory ...

Posted 26 March 2009 - 06:43 PM

Base malt really depends on what I am brewing. I do opt for Belgian & German for specialty malts over American Crystal malts in most of my American ales. Used some Pale Chocolate Malt the other day in a Northern English Brown and have to say I was quite impressed with the results.

Kev, what the hell man? You and Wendy are missing out on a great tasting Alt that Old Meck Brewing is finally selling? Been through 5 liters since they opened, and they just opened yesterday!

#25 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 26 March 2009 - 06:51 PM

Base malt, well it depends. I did go on about a three month run that Special Roast found it's way into the mashtun frequently. And it fell into the MT about a week ago too.........

#26 BuxomBrewster

BuxomBrewster

Snow White

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8765 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 06:54 PM

I'm new to all this, but getting excited about my next brew. Thanks guys for the ideas. I've got a mostly Vienna grain bill for the next brew to see what I think. I don't know anything about styles, but I do say I'm liking this stuff.

#27 Ted

Ted

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 07:03 PM

For base malt Marris Otter has been used quite a bit for ales, but now I've been using Golden Promise and have really dug the results. For lagers typically Franco-Belge Pilsner malt, specialty malt probably Carastan.

#28 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26167 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 26 March 2009 - 07:17 PM

I've found that a good pils malt is very user friendly for most American Ales (ala DFH), Belgians, and lagers, and have used the most of that lately. For the British and some American's I've been very happy with the Optic I've been getting from NCM. I tend to like the German crystals, but that's just personal preference.

#29 Buscotucky

Buscotucky

Comptroller of Lips and Smooching

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3605 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 06:48 AM

For base malt Marris Otter has been used quite a bit for ales, but now I've been using Golden Promise and have really dug the results. For lagers typically Franco-Belge Pilsner malt, specialty malt probably Carastan.

+1 on Golden Promise...although really it depends on what I'm making. 2 row is fine for the hoppy beers, imo.For specialty grains, I've been using simpsons extra dark crystal, golden naked oats & pale chocolate (rounds out my normal favorite of special B ).

#30 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 27 March 2009 - 06:58 AM

Here's what I keep on hand at the brewery:Rahr PilsnerRahr Pale AleRahr White Wheat MaltGambrinus Munich 10LGambrinus Honey MaltFlaked OatsBriess 2 Row Crystal 60LCastle Special BWeyermann CaraFa Special IICrisp Roast BarleyLocally grown whole cornLocally grown unmalted soft red wheatI'll order in some special things occasionally, like Biscuit malt to brew Alpha Male's Irish Red Ale.

#31 japh

japh

Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14966 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 27 March 2009 - 08:48 AM

LME https://www.brews-br...tyle_emoticons/default/headbang.gif

#32 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 27 March 2009 - 08:59 AM

How could I forget Briess Special Roast!

#33 dagomike

dagomike

Comptroller of CrapPapples

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19207 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 10:03 AM

Muntons MO -- it's what the homebrew shop carries. Weyermann wheat Weyermann pilsWeyermann MunichDurst is my alternate on the Weyermann, but it's hard for me to get locally. Sometimes I'll do Dingemans if I can't one of those two.Specialty malts are whatever are the LHBS de jour malts, which I assume are Briess, except I order Simpson roasted.

#34 SWAGMAN

SWAGMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationWACK AKA KANSAS CITY KANSAS

Posted 27 March 2009 - 10:44 AM

Munich, because I'm a Malt head. But do use a wide a range based on the style.Dominus VobiscumSwagman :)

#35 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 10:46 AM

I'm by far not an expert on base malts yet but I really like Maris Otter. I also really like Munich.

#36 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87454 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 27 March 2009 - 11:33 AM

i get cheap american 2row cuz I'm a cheap bastard... LHBS sells 50lb bags of Rahr 2row for 36 bucks... can't go wrong with that...

#37 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 27 March 2009 - 11:50 AM

I've tried nearly every malt on the market at one time or another. The one that I like best is Weyermann Pale Malt. I use it as a base for all of my ales except Belgians. My other two staple malts are MFB Pilsner and Bestmalz Lt. Munich. I use the pilsner as a base for most lagers and also Belgain ales. The Munich malt I use as a base for altbiers, festbiers and bocks and also as a specialty for some of my ales - especially the hoppier ones.Some of the specialty malts that I really like a lot are CaraAroma, melanoidin, CaraRed and CaraMunich III.

#38 Recklessdeck

Recklessdeck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationLawrence

Posted 27 March 2009 - 12:36 PM

i get cheap american 2row cuz I'm a cheap bastard... LHBS sells 50lb bags of Rahr 2row for 36 bucks... can't go wrong with that...

+1 on that rahr, the other american 2-row my LHBS sells is 40-50 cents more per pound, which adds up.Speaking of which, I used klages great western (because they were out of rahr) for the first time last batch, think I will be able to tell the difference?For german/belgian, its wyermann pilsFor British ales I generally use castle pale due to cost, although my favorite ESB recipe uses crisp MO, no exceptions.As for speciality malts, I've been on an aromatic kick as of late. Also Wyermann carafa I (the dehusked) stuff is great!{edited to fix typo}

#39 float

float

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 07:25 PM

I love Munich and Victory.My favorite brew is my all Munich IPA and I think i put some Victory is just about every thing I brew unless I just can't justify it at all.

#40 japh

japh

Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14966 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 27 March 2009 - 09:18 PM

I do plan on using Northwest grown Pale Malt once I get my MLT built. My wife's uncles are barley growers, so I'm supporting them by buying domestic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users