#1 rockon

rockon

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2661 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 26 March 2009 - 09:18 AM

Okay, who has a favorite type of malt? You know, the one you keep on hand and find yourself adding to a bunch of brews. Also, why is it your fav -- flavor it adds? color? other?Mine is probably regular old Munich malt. I always keep a bag around and find myself adding a few pounds to A LOT of the beers I make, even if it's not to style for the beer. For instance, my brown ale recipe uses Munich for about half - two thirds of the base malt. I like the malty backbone it adds. Perhaps I would get this if I used a better base malt, but I'm usually stuck with Briess.

#2 BrianBrewerKS

BrianBrewerKS

Comptroller of Winging It

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 09:22 AM

I'd have to agree with you....Munich. The maltiness it brings to the table is awesome. I'm also a big fan of Biscuit Malt....and Vienna.

#3 tjthresh

tjthresh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, IN

Posted 26 March 2009 - 09:25 AM

Can't say I have a fave, because I've been out of the game for around 18 months now. I do intend on trying some stuff with brown malt and pale chocolate malt.

#4 chauvan

chauvan

Comptroller of Jewish Scuba Divers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationNavarre, FL

Posted 26 March 2009 - 09:28 AM

Most of my recipes that I developed always have Marris Otter.

#5 BFB

BFB

Wind Whisperer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10810 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 26 March 2009 - 09:29 AM

For a base malt I pretty much use Marris Otter because I think it has a bit more character than American 2- row. I go through a bunch of Muntons but just recently bought a gab of Thomas Fawcett to see how that is.I too love Munich...but lately I've found a new love for aromatic malt.

#6 rockon

rockon

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2661 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 26 March 2009 - 09:33 AM

Good answers so far.I also really like maris otter, but it is sometimes diffcult for me to find, or so much more $$ than american 2 row that it's hard to justify. I also like biscuit or victory for certain styles. I've never used aromatic malt, though. BFB - what kinds of beers do you use it in, and what is making you dig it? I'd like to try it sometime.

#7 BFB

BFB

Wind Whisperer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10810 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 26 March 2009 - 09:37 AM

Good answers so far.I also really like maris otter, but it is sometimes diffcult for me to find, or so much more $$ than american 2 row that it's hard to justify. I also like biscuit or victory for certain styles. I've never used aromatic malt, though. BFB - what kinds of beers do you use it in, and what is making you dig it? I'd like to try it sometime.

I've started putting aromatic in my pale ales. My pale ales usually run in the 1.065 range with a huge hop addition at flameout and dry hopped too. To me, I think the aromatic lends a bit more malt backbone and some aroma sneaks through the hops. It gives the beer a little better balance.

#8 Mashman

Mashman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • LocationGunnison CO

Posted 26 March 2009 - 09:38 AM

It depends on the style. For base malts I keep Marris Otter, Continental Pilsner, Canadian 2 row and Munich on hand. For specialty grains I keep too many to list on hand. I just love to brew.Mashman

#9 rockon

rockon

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2661 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 26 March 2009 - 09:39 AM

Okay, next time I do a bigger pale ale, I'm going to try a pound or so of aromatic. Thanks for the suggestion!ETA: oh, and BFB, hurry up and upload an avatar. Your's are always the best. :lol:

#10 BFB

BFB

Wind Whisperer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10810 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 26 March 2009 - 09:41 AM

Okay, next time I do a bigger pale ale, I'm going to try a pound or so of aromatic. Thanks for the suggestion!

Rockon! *looks for headbanger gif...sees none....*

#11 tjthresh

tjthresh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, IN

Posted 26 March 2009 - 09:44 AM

Can't say I have a fave, because I've been out of the game for around 18 months now. I do intend on trying some stuff with brown malt and pale chocolate malt.

I just remembered that I really like that French Pilsner malt from Mid-American Malt. MFB Pils I think.

#12 Mashman

Mashman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • LocationGunnison CO

Posted 26 March 2009 - 12:51 PM

I just remembered that I really like that French Pilsner malt from Mid-American Malt. MFB Pils I think.

Yep MFB pils is great, I went with their pale ale this year for a change.Mashman

#13 Lagerdemain

Lagerdemain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 01:16 PM

German Vienna malt for me. I really enjoy the bready quality it provides, and even a little bit (<10%) acts nicely to smooth out some of that tiny bit of harshness that you can get from an all-pils grain bill.

#14 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 01:26 PM

German Vienna malt for me. I really enjoy the bready quality it provides, and even a little bit (<10%) acts nicely to smooth out some of that tiny bit of harshness that you can get from an all-pils grain bill.

I'm throwing my vote behind vienna also. I've used it up to 40% in my pale ales and I love the maltiness it provides. I wouldn't call it more subdued than munich but softer if that makes any sense. toasty goodness. Also its REALLY good in blonde ales.

#15 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 26 March 2009 - 05:45 PM

Gambrinus 2 row is my goto 2 row pale base malt. It has the best flavour in my mind.I like maris otter also, but it is too buiscutty for most of the brews I like to brew. I'm a west coast pale ale/ipa guy.Now that I work at a brewery I use what they use. All I can say on that front is that I haven't brewed with gambrinus in a while..... :)BrewBasser

#16 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 26 March 2009 - 05:48 PM

Gambrinus 2 row is my goto 2 row pale base malt. It has the best flavour in my mind.I like maris otter also, but it is too buiscutty for most of the brews I like to brew. I'm a west coast pale ale/ipa guy.Now that I work at a brewery I use what they use. All I can say on that front is that I haven't brewed with gambrinus in a while..... :)BrewBasser

+1 on gambrinus, good stuff

#17 DaKine

DaKine

a compt roller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • LocationPuna

Posted 26 March 2009 - 05:53 PM

Ovaltine.No, really TF MO, but use Canadian 2 row, for my house pale ale. The MO I save for TLL's Oat-Stout, served on nitro.

#18 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

Comptroller of Complaints and Unruly Clients

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21336 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 26 March 2009 - 06:16 PM

Base malts are British or American 2 row.60 PaleHoneyI like Belgians and ESBs.

#19 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 26 March 2009 - 06:21 PM

For Base Malts I love Marris Otter for sure. It is a very characterful grain and it really adds to a beer as well. I would brew with it all the time British styles or not if I could. I also had the pleasure of using a full bag of Great Western 2 Row. I think that is a great malt as well. I have to agree though Munich is a malt that I use heavily and very often, it is very versatile. Mike

#20 Kunsan90

Kunsan90

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationPurgatory ...

Posted 26 March 2009 - 06:27 PM

I really can't pick one, I brew a hell of a lot of Alt's, so German Pils and Light Munich for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users