#41 Recklessdeck

Recklessdeck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationLawrence

Posted 27 July 2009 - 12:40 PM

I know what the feeling is like rcemech, I've also had "friends" take bottles of my brew without asking and its obnoxious, especially because IF they had asked, they would have gotten them gladly.Fortunately, the problem has abated since I started kegging. Most kids can't get a party pump on a sanke, let alone work one of our style dispensing systems.

#42 gumballhead

gumballhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Locationsw michigan

Posted 27 July 2009 - 12:58 PM

Will agent moose and squirrel survive the rapids and beat Boris and Natasha to the moon base?[/quote]So what happend to Rocky and Bullwinkle .... i mean agent moose and squireldid they make it.I say put the beer in an old coke bottle vending maching and let them pay a small price for the goodness they seem to like. it will take time for the taste buds to wake up but they will come around with time...ahhh to be young again.. :D :devil:

#43 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 27 July 2009 - 01:38 PM

I know it's not for everyone. We all have our likes and dislikes, but for some reason in the homebrewing community it's the red headed step child. Is it because there is a perception that it's just a notch above BMC? Or is it too simple? You just don't see (m)any threads about guys getting all excited for a good Cream Ale.

You could probably say the same thing about a number of different styles. I don't see too many people getting fired up about a mild or a standard bitter recipe either yet nobody considers them inferior (at least I don't think so). I agree that cream ale is not as sexy as a good IIPA but back at the ol' place there were always folks asking for a good lawnmower beer recipe (and I consider cream ale to be in that category). It's the beers out closer to the extremes that get the most press, the tripels, IIPAs, impy stouts and barley wines. But you can't drink nothing but tripels all the time; you gotta have some session beers in the mix too.

#44 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 02:11 PM

You could probably say the same thing about a number of different styles. I don't see too many people getting fired up about a mild or a standard bitter recipe either yet nobody considers them inferior (at least I don't think so). I agree that cream ale is not as sexy as a good IIPA but back at the ol' place there were always folks asking for a good lawnmower beer recipe (and I consider cream ale to be in that category). It's the beers out closer to the extremes that get the most press, the tripels, IIPAs, impy stouts and barley wines. But you can't drink nothing but tripels all the time; you gotta have some session beers in the mix too.

What about MLPA? I'd def consider that a lawnmower type beer but it gets LOADS of good press around here. I guess it's not as light as a cream ale though. Maybe I'll make a cream ale and try to get fired up about to start a new trend :D

#45 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 27 July 2009 - 02:37 PM

What about MLPA? I'd def consider that a lawnmower type beer but it gets LOADS of good press around here. I guess it's not as light as a cream ale though. Maybe I'll make a cream ale and try to get fired up about to start a new trend :D

Do I smell a "group brew" on the horizon? Perhaps we ALL should try and brew a good Cream Ale to remind us what it's supposed to be like so we have a frame of reference when Cream Ale Bashers come a knockin! I'd be willing to shelve my next "scheduled" beer in exchange for doing a Cream Ale. Ok... I'll admit the only thing I have scheduled is trying to do a Coconut Porter for a buddy (I'll insist he take all 50 bottles) and a Stout... but I think I NEED this one.

#46 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 27 July 2009 - 03:19 PM

What about MLPA? I'd def consider that a lawnmower type beer but it gets LOADS of good press around here. I guess it's not as light as a cream ale though. Maybe I'll make a cream ale and try to get fired up about to start a new trend :devil:

I don't really know much about MLPA but I think the reason that it gets so much attention is that it's a recipe created by one of our members. There's been the same sort of hubbub over CJ's JPA, Denny's Rye IPA, Cam's Impy Pilsner and Jimvy's Quiet Storm Stout (probably some more that I'm forgetting...sorry to whoever I left out). If you came up with the cream ale recipe to end all cream ale recipes, there would probably be quite a bit of excitement over that too.But I do see what you guys are getting at. Beers with less flavor in general are probably not given the same attention other beers are. I'm sure I'm guilty of that because I'm always looking for more flavor of some kind. I never really bought into the hot weather == less flavor school of thought. Hot weather is torture enough; why make it worse by drinking flavorless beer?! :D

#47 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 03:21 PM

I don't really know much about MLPA but I think the reason that it gets so much attention is that it's a recipe created by one of our members.

Just a coincidence :DMLPA actually has a pretty good amount of flavor so it probably wasn't the best example.

#48 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 27 July 2009 - 03:56 PM

I don't really know much about MLPA but I think the reason that it gets so much attention is that it's a recipe created by one of our members. There's been the same sort of hubbub over CJ's JPA, Denny's Rye IPA, Cam's Impy Pilsner and Jimvy's Quiet Storm Stout (probably some more that I'm forgetting...sorry to whoever I left out). If you came up with the cream ale recipe to end all cream ale recipes, there would probably be quite a bit of excitement over that too.But I do see what you guys are getting at. Beers with less flavor in general are probably not given the same attention other beers are. I'm sure I'm guilty of that because I'm always looking for more flavor of some kind. I never really bought into the hot weather == less flavor school of thought. Hot weather is torture enough; why make it worse by drinking flavorless beer?! :D

I don't know that anyone could really put a great twist on a Cream Ale that would garner the interest that the other brews you mentioned have. I think with the Cream Ale, the saying "less is more" truly applies. IMHO, the best Cream Ale is in it's simplest form two types of grain, one type of hops, water and a yeast strain that has really good attenuation (and preferably an American strain). I would never lay claim and authorship over the recipe I use, but I do swear by it.

#49 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28461 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 27 July 2009 - 04:43 PM

Hot weather is torture enough; why make it worse by drinking flavorless beer?! :devil:

To be hot weather needs a lower alcohol beer and a lower body also makes it a tad more refreshing towards the water substitution. Usually my cooler in the heat for a BBQ will rock a mixture of some good ales, some session lager, and then some PBR or such to avoid having to drink water :D.

#50 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 27 July 2009 - 04:58 PM

To be hot weather needs a lower alcohol beer and a lower body also makes it a tad more refreshing towards the water substitution. Usually my cooler in the heat for a BBQ will rock a mixture of some good ales, some session lager, and then some PBR or such to avoid having to drink water :D.

I prefer water. At least it doesn't claim to be anything other than water. :devil:

#51 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 27 July 2009 - 07:09 PM

I prefer water. At least it doesn't claim to be anything other than water. :D

You mean you don't think Miller is "triple hop brewed" or that Hamm's is from the "land of sky blue water"? :devil:

#52 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 28 July 2009 - 05:17 AM

... and it wouldn't have mattered to them whether it was craft beer or Colt 45, ...

If I found some folks uninvited in my kitchen drinking my beer the only Colt 45 they would have gotten would have been ACP.The report would never have been heard over the din of the burglar alarm siren.

#53 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28461 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 28 July 2009 - 07:19 AM

I prefer water. At least it doesn't claim to be anything other than water. :goodidea:

Is there at least vodka in it?

#54 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 28 July 2009 - 09:19 AM

My standard Cream Ale Recipe is 80% 2 Row, 20% Flaked Maize. An ounce of Perle (8.0%) at 60 minutes and fermented with US-05. I generally mash at around 155.

How many pounds of grain for a 5 gal batch? I think I'm gonna try it.Cheers,Rich

#55 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 28 July 2009 - 09:50 AM

How many pounds of grain for a 5 gal batch? I think I'm gonna try it.Cheers,Rich

Send me a PM... I'll have to check my records when I get home tonight. But I tend to shoot for around 1.055 OG and finish at around 1.010 (give or take, YMMV). IIRC, the grain bill is around 12 pounds. All depends on efficiency of system... oh, and I usually shoot for 6 gallons, so if ya'll are questing the weight of my grain bill, there is your answer. I could run the numbers tonight, but I'd think that if you did 8 pounds of 2 Row and 2 pounds of Flaked Maize, you'd be hitting it. Ask your buddy what the efficiency is of his system. Mine is about 78%.

#56 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 28 July 2009 - 10:33 AM

Send me a PM... I'll have to check my records when I get home tonight. But I tend to shoot for around 1.055 OG and finish at around 1.010 (give or take, YMMV). IIRC, the grain bill is around 12 pounds. All depends on efficiency of system... oh, and I usually shoot for 6 gallons, so if ya'll are questing the weight of my grain bill, there is your answer. I could run the numbers tonight, but I'd think that if you did 8 pounds of 2 Row and 2 pounds of Flaked Maize, you'd be hitting it. Ask your buddy what the efficiency is of his system. Mine is about 78%.

Well if the efficiency depends at all on experience and your state of brewing fitness (how practiced you are currently) then I bet we won't be as efficient. Joe hasn't brewed AG in almost two years now so I bet he is a bit rusty. Thanks for the info, I will do get on it and try and make this one as #4. This beer have a name other than Cream Ale?Cheers,Rich

#57 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 28 July 2009 - 11:57 AM

Well if the efficiency depends at all on experience and your state of brewing fitness (how practiced you are currently) then I bet we won't be as efficient. Joe hasn't brewed AG in almost two years now so I bet he is a bit rusty. Thanks for the info, I will do get on it and try and make this one as #4. This beer have a name other than Cream Ale?Cheers,Rich

Efficiency is a combination of how well your system extracts sugars from the grain. A good crush will help keep your efficiency up, whereas a poor crush will likely drive it down. How well the tun drains is another factor. If the tun doesn't "channel" the water through the grain, it will be higher, but if it does channel, then it will be lower. If the sparge water isn't hot enough, that will drive it down. But basically, to figure out how your system is working, you figure out what the maximum potential sugars (expressed in gravity units) and what you actually obtained (again expressed in gravity units). If you divide what you obtained by the maximum, you will come up with your "efficiency" factor, and can then adjust your grain bill appropriately. Consistency in your process over a few brews will help you dial in the efficiency of the system. I just had mine tuned into about 78%, but am now monkeying around with the equipment, so it'll be back to the drawing board. I was taught as a general rule of thumb, until you dial in your system, to figure on a 70% efficiency. I tried to explain this in the most basic terms, because frankly it's how I understand it. I know some others may have more (and better) input and I certainly invite it. The moral of the story though, is that the more efficient your system in extracting the sugars, the less grain you have to use, which we all know translates to less cost for the brew.As for the name of brew, I literally think I called this one Cream Ale No. 2. Because it was my second attempt at a Cream Ale and I really liked how it turned out. But if you insist, I'm sure I can come up with another bitchin name. :goodidea:I'll try to remember to run a BeerSmith session for you tonight and post the results in the Recipe section.

#58 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 28 July 2009 - 12:00 PM

Coincidentally (sp? dont want to get crucified here lol) I had a similar experience this weekend but with a much better outcome. My neighbor/buddy behind me was having his usual sat night outdoor fire, and his cousin in law was over. Whenever he shows, he never has beer, but is always willing to drink mine by asking how the brewing business is going. So as I was stalling him, the neighbor from across the street who was having his own party with guys from work popped in, and I had promised earlier I would give him a brewery tour, and a sample. So I couldnt leave the CIL hanging, so I brought them both over for some samples. After the usual rants and raves we went back to our original parties. About 1/2 hour later, neighbor #2 shows back with his father and 4 buddies from work to show them the brewery. I cordially invite them back over and they all sampled, but expressed similarities to some local brewpubs- now I have real drinkers. So I explained my eventual plans for a brewpub to them and we discussed some business strategies and such, they took off, and I went inside for a leak before returning to my party. When I came back out to cut through the garage to head back to the party, there was a $20 stuffed under the empty sample glasses for me! Pretty AOK in my book. So I went back to my party, and the CIL freeloader says- I know you wont be happy, but I refuse to take it back and stuffed a $10 in my shirt pocket, so now I am up $30. My buddy told me that the other neighbor on his way out said how impressed the guys were with my project, and that one of them just hit the lottery for $15M and is looking for an investment opp. So you never know. BTW my favorite line when a BMCer asks for a 6 pack or something ridiculous, I always tell them- no problem. You just give me a filet mignon back- however I dont want it store bought, I want it off of your cow- give me a steak off of your cow, and we can trade. :goodidea:

#59 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 28 July 2009 - 12:12 PM

My buddy told me that the other neighbor on his way out said how impressed the guys were with my project, and that one of them just hit the lottery for $15M and is looking for an investment opp. So you never know.

I'm sure Chuck would love to be in your shoes! Looks like you just got ingredients for your next batch paid for... yeah that's it... be sure to stuff that in your "ingredients fund".

#60 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 28 July 2009 - 12:33 PM

Looks like you just got ingredients for your next batch paid for... yeah that's it... be sure to stuff that in your "ingredients fund".

Hey a man can dream can't he? You never know, business opportunities start like this all the time, my luck has got to pay off sooner or later. I do believe in the definition of luck as- the moment preparation meets opprtunity. My business plan is 1/2 written and my concepts are easy to convey. Dosnt mean I am going to sit around and wait for every lottery winner to pitch my ideas to, however I will definitely follow up on this one!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users