#21 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:28 AM

I have ADD. I have to ninja post and get back to work. I don't really have time for editing so sometimes my posts end up reading like I am spewing from the mouth without thinking, but hopefully the point gets across. You are correct though, I should pay attention more to my grammar, but don't hate me because I am beautiful Mnt. :D

#22 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:30 AM

you laughed a little when you saw that picture of a pallet. admit it!! come on!!!

Coffee out the nose and onto the keyboard funny!Great way to start a Monday!

#23 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:31 AM

Could be! For the homebrewer who doesn't want his "stash" messed with on a regular basis, this is the perfect gambit (yeah... I was pretty proud of myself for being able to work this little used word into the thread in the right context). LOL

Well played.

{This post has been visually checked for any errors in spelling and proper usage. Any errors are due to the limitations of the poster, who got a C in his English Writing class in college.}

The judges considered deducting points for starting a couple of sentences with "and" and "but". But since I do this myself all the time....Posted Image

#24 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:37 AM

Could be! For the homebrewer who doesn't want his "stash" messed with on a regular basis, this is the perfect gambit (yeah... I was pretty proud of myself for being able to work this little used word into the thread in the right context). LOLHere's how I look at it... Rich is young in age and brewing experience. Those first few batches are babies and you can be very protective of them. So it sucks when someone takes without asking. However, I would admit that based on my reading of the intital post, that I thought several bottles were consumed. And by several bottles, I mean ten or more. Had I known it was only four, my suggestion might not have been that extreme. At this point, Rich is brewing for himself. I have no doubt that as his stores grow, he will be more than willing to share. But we all get to that point in our own time. But I still contend that if you wanted to hoard it all for yourself, that there is nothing like a really crappy beer to deter would be bottle thieves.{This post has been visually checked for any errors in spelling and proper usage. Any errors are due to the limitations of the poster, who got a C in his English Writing class in college.}

Kind of like homebrew landmines :D

#25 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:40 AM

Well played.The judges considered deducting points for starting a couple of sentences with "and" and "but". But since I do this myself all the time....Posted Image

ROFLOL!You can understand why I got a "C" when I tell you we called the professor "Monotone Joe". For some reason, the only time I start a sentence with "and" or "but" is when I'm posting a message or typing an informal e-mail to a friend.

#26 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:43 AM

Kind of like homebrew landmines :D

Yes! That's a great moniker for them. Only the brewer and a select few need to be able to identify them. Hopefully Heather Mills won't come knocking on the door.

#27 weave

weave

Just Silly and Overboard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8111 posts
  • LocationWestern NY

Posted 27 July 2009 - 10:10 AM

I have a BIL who is a certified, full on, nuthin-but-swill drinker. Every gathering at his place has whatever beer is on sale. BUT, when he comes to my house, he raids my fridge. And my homebrew taps. It annoys the hell outta me. So, the last few family gatherings I put out a cooler for beer. The beer I want drank (drunk?) goes in the cooler. Everything else ends up in the basement. If I want him to try something I go down and get it. And I've resorted to making a batch or two of cheap, lightish beer every year for BIL. That way when he asks "what's on tap?", I point him to the cream ale and let him help himself.No sense wasting good beer on someone who won't appreciate or reciprocate.

#28 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 27 July 2009 - 10:27 AM

I count myself pretty lucky in this regard. The rest of my immediate family are swill drinkers (where did that gene come from?) but they don't live here. When they visit, I stock plenty of Bud for them. I don't even try to brew anything for them because I know we'd all be happier if they just drank Bud. It's what they really want so it's what they get. They're welcome to try my homebrew if they want but they never have more than a glass to reassure themselves that Bud is the way to go.As for friends, I really don't have any that don't appreciate better beer. It's not that I'm snobbish with my friends. It's just that everybody I know likes some form of non-swill. It's just how things are here. If I brewed a batch of cream ale, it might literally be years before the keg kicked. I have one friend that craves my tripel to the point that I brew him a batch now every time I brew myself one. I have another that is a stout freak. They aren't beer geeks or homebrewers; they just don't like BMC.

#29 Noontime

Noontime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationDelray Beach FL

Posted 27 July 2009 - 10:29 AM

Will agent moose and squirrel survive the rapids and beat Boris and Natasha to the moon base?

Thanks for the laugh!

#30 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 27 July 2009 - 10:43 AM

If I brewed a batch of cream ale, it might literally be years before the keg kicked.

Why does everyone keep knocking the Cream Ale?! I actually enjoy this one partly for its simplicity in brewing, but also for it's great taste. If a Cream Ale is made properly, which isn't hard to do, it can have fantastic flavor and mouthfeel, which is precisely what is lacking in BMC. A great home brewed beer does not have to have a complex recipe to be enjoyable. My standard Cream Ale Recipe is 80% 2 Row, 20% Flaked Maize. An ounce of Perle (8.0%) at 60 minutes and fermented with US-05. I generally mash at around 155. I can practically do this with my eyes closed. Yes, it may be a "gateway beer" for BMC drinkers, but I tend to find that after a winter and spring of more complex beers, I truly enjoy a Cream Ale or a Kolsch (I pretty much use the same grain bill, but use a kolsch strain of yeast). Just my rant for the day! Thank you for listening. :D

#31 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 10:48 AM

Why does everyone keep knocking the Cream Ale?! I actually enjoy this one partly for its simplicity in brewing, but also for it's great taste. If a Cream Ale is made properly, which isn't hard to do, it can have fantastic flavor and mouthfeel, which is precisely what is lacking in BMC. A great home brewed beer does not have to have a complex recipe to be enjoyable. My standard Cream Ale Recipe is 80% 2 Row, 20% Flaked Maize. An ounce of Perle (8.0%) at 60 minutes and fermented with US-05. I generally mash at around 155. I can practically do this with my eyes closed. Yes, it may be a "gateway beer" for BMC drinkers, but I tend to find that after a winter and spring of more complex beers, I truly enjoy a Cream Ale or a Kolsch (I pretty much use the same grain bill, but use a kolsch strain of yeast). Just my rant for the day! Thank you for listening. :D

I have been thinking about doing a cream ale. I have made 3 pale ales so far, so I would like to do something a little different. Plus with my friends this might be a good one to keep kegged once I finish that project up. So many beer projects, so little time...

#32 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 27 July 2009 - 10:59 AM

...........As for friends, I really don't have any that don't appreciate better beer. ......

Fixed that double negative for you. :D

#33 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 27 July 2009 - 11:12 AM

Fixed that double negative for you. :devil:

:D Nice edit!

#34 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 27 July 2009 - 11:16 AM

I have been thinking about doing a cream ale. I have made 3 pale ales so far, so I would like to do something a little different. Plus with my friends this might be a good one to keep kegged once I finish that project up. So many beer projects, so little time...

You should be able to put together a simple extract version of my recipe. Although I never made it with an extract recipe, so I'm not sure if the Flaked Maize needs to be mashed with grains for enzymatic purposes. I don't have to worry about it because it mashes with my base. Maybe someone with more "extract and adjunct" experience can provide insight on the proper procedure. But, I'm sure your roomie and friends would enjoy (and possibly appreciate) the effort.

#35 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 11:30 AM

You should be able to put together a simple extract version of my recipe. Although I never made it with an extract recipe, so I'm not sure if the Flaked Maize needs to be mashed with grains for enzymatic purposes. I don't have to worry about it because it mashes with my base. Maybe someone with more "extract and adjunct" experience can provide insight on the proper procedure. But, I'm sure your roomie and friends would enjoy (and possibly appreciate) the effort.

I'm debating whether to wait for my friend Joe to brew an AG batch or just go at it myself (He's my go to phone a friend expert home brewer). Your recipe seems simple enough to try AG, or at least a mini-mash. Do you think extra light extract is more appropriate for a cream ale if I go that route?Thanks,Rich

#36 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 27 July 2009 - 11:52 AM

Fixed that double negative for you. :devil:

Well, I have one less now anyway. :D

#37 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 27 July 2009 - 11:54 AM

I'm not really kicking dirt on it, I just don't really care for it. That's not to say it doesn't have merit or anything. Just not my thing.

#38 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 27 July 2009 - 12:02 PM

I'm debating whether to wait for my friend Joe to brew an AG batch or just go at it myself (He's my go to phone a friend expert home brewer). Your recipe seems simple enough to try AG, or at least a mini-mash. Do you think extra light extract is more appropriate for a cream ale if I go that route?Thanks,Rich

If you are going for a very light color, then sure. I don't fuss too much about color on my beers that are supposed to be yellowish. I'm sure the extra light will notch down the SRM's from using 2 Row. If it were me though, I'd see if your buddy can do an AG batch with you. Remember, AG equipment just begs to be used and this one is a hard one to ef up.

#39 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 27 July 2009 - 12:06 PM

I'm not really kicking dirt on it, I just don't really care for it. That's not to say it doesn't have merit or anything. Just not my thing.

I know it's not for everyone. We all have our likes and dislikes, but for some reason in the homebrewing community it's the red headed step child. Is it because there is a perception that it's just a notch above BMC? Or is it too simple? You just don't see (m)any threads about guys getting all excited for a good Cream Ale.

#40 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28459 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 27 July 2009 - 12:30 PM

Why does everyone keep knocking the Cream Ale?! I actually enjoy this one partly for its simplicity in brewing, but also for it's great taste. If a Cream Ale is made properly, which isn't hard to do, it can have fantastic flavor and mouthfeel, which is precisely what is lacking in BMC.

I was going to post something along the same lines, cream ale is a great easy drinker without being a BMC.On that note Full Sails "Session" is a good commercial lager for the 90F days that has a bit more flavor to it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users