#1 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26194 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 25 July 2009 - 12:52 PM

So I found my self feeling the need to write an email off to the QC guy at Ommegang just now:

Mr. Britton,I have been a long time lover of all Ommegang products, but the bottle of Biere de Mars I just opened is completely UNEXCEPTABLE. I'll let a pic speak to what I am describing, but it looks as if the cold break/hop trub made into the bottling line. I have been a homebrewer for 6ish years and know what lees looks like and this is not yeast. The bottle was stored upright and decanted carefully, but we'll you can see the pic. I am very DISSATISFIED with this product and it is in no way what I have come to expect from a quality brewery. The bottle in question was purchased at 99 Bottles in Federal Way, WA if that helps you track the problem. I will hold on to the bottle since I was not able to see a batch code on it. Feel free to contact me via the info below if you have any further questions. Please fix this as I really want to continue enjoying your beers and the Biere de Mars is one of my favorites.

*if all works images should be attached*

Edited by ewanzel, 25 July 2009 - 01:08 PM.

#2 Winkydowbrewing

Winkydowbrewing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationWorcester, MA

Posted 25 July 2009 - 01:42 PM

I cant speak to what that may be, but I can say it looks very similar to the sediment I see in bottles of lambic if I get some of the dredges when pouring. I wonder if Brett would produce a different looking sediment.

#3 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26194 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 01:46 PM

I cant speak to what that may be, but I can say it looks very similar to the sediment I see in bottles of lambic if I get some of the dredges when pouring. I wonder if Brett would produce a different looking sediment.

I would think this if it weren't the first .41L I poured from a 750ml. I handled it very carefully and it had been sitting in the fridge upright for a week.

#4 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

Comptroller of Teh Beefs and other beeflike animals that are tas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8263 posts
  • LocationGreat Plains, KS

Posted 25 July 2009 - 01:59 PM

Interesting. This splotchy sediment appeared after the beer warmed up a bit? Almost looks like yeast sediment but if you poured carefully it may be coagulated proteins which is kinda weird. The other option could be infection, very uncommon if not unheard of.

#5 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 02:05 PM

So I found my self feeling the need to write an email off to the QC guy at Ommegang just now:*if all works images should be attached*

guess I haven't been homebrewing long enough - looks like it could be sediment to me although maybe I end up with trub in my bottles sometimes :smilielol:

#6 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26194 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 02:10 PM

Interesting. This splotchy sediment appeared after the beer warmed up a bit? Almost looks like yeast sediment but if you poured carefully it may be coagulated proteins which is kinda weird. The other option could be infection, very uncommon if not unheard of.

It was there from the get go. It is rather odd ... I put the bottle back in the fridge and the particles remained suspended in the globs. I poured a bit and the globs do not feel like slurry (which will break up when rubbed lightly in the fingers) - they feel more solid... like protein globs

#7 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8263 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 02:22 PM

Got me scratching my head on this one. Possibly a warming, cooling, warming, cooling of the bottles in transit may have had an adverse effect on the finished product. I forgot to ask if it tastes bad? That is the primary concern after all.

#8 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26194 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 02:27 PM

Got me scratching my head on this one. Possibly a warming, cooling, warming, cooling of the bottles in transit may have had an adverse effect on the finished product. I forgot to ask if it tastes bad? That is the primary concern after all.

no...tasted great. could see hop particles in it which is why I mentioned the hops in the email

#9 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 02:30 PM

no...tasted great. could see hop particles in it which is why I mentioned the hops in the email

ah - hops are kind of a give away I guess...

#10 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8263 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 02:36 PM

Just seems so unlikely, considering the bittered wort travels from BK to primary, then held in a secondary, then sent to bottling. Unless it is dry hopped, I don't see how hop particles (polyphenols) could get into the bottle. Since it tastes good, is it such a crime to be aesthetically displeasing? I'm thinking of the many foods that don't look appealing but taste great, it seems forgivable anyway

#11 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26194 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 02:47 PM

it is dry hopped - not t he worst crime, but not what one expects when they pay >$10/bottle IMO

Edited by ewanzel, 25 July 2009 - 02:48 PM.

#12 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8263 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 02:55 PM

it is dry hopped - not t he worst crime, but not what one expects when they pay >$10/bottle IMO

Well I should have done my research, it is dry hopped :smilielol: I agree that quality should be optimum for the cost of premium bottled beers, but I'm still wondering if it couldn't be something that happened during transit. You said yourself that it doesn't feel like hop solids but more like protein clots. Is this something that can develop over time or would have been noticed off the bottling line?

#13 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26194 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 02:58 PM

Well I should have done my research, it is dry hopped :smilielol: I agree that quality should be optimum for the cost of premium bottled beers, but I'm still wondering if it couldn't be something that happened during transit. You said yourself that it doesn't feel like hop solids but more like protein clots. Is this something that can develop over time or would have been noticed off the bottling line?

it was a mix of hop solids and something else (protein is my best bet).

#14 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64144 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 25 July 2009 - 05:22 PM

If you type something in ALL CAPS, you should spell it right. :smilielol: (x2)

Edited by JKoravos, 25 July 2009 - 05:22 PM.

#15 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 06:35 AM

If you type something in ALL CAPS, you should spell it right. :smilielol: (x2)

what a jerkface :smilielol:

#16 chefmiller

chefmiller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 26 July 2009 - 07:51 AM

I will say that when using such strong terms to describe a problem to some one, spelling and grammar are pretty important. Claiming to be a homebrewer with 6ish years experience, and then typing a letter of complaint that is only barely polite doesn't make them want to take you seriously. I've always found that when typing a letter of complaint, one should always be as polite as possible and proof-read very carefully. Just my $.02

#17 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64144 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 26 July 2009 - 08:25 AM

what a jerkface :smilielol:

I know, right?

#18 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 26 July 2009 - 09:51 AM

Just a thought but why don't you try another bottle and see if you get the same result? Just becuase you have one bad experience doesn't mean the whole product is crap. It happens all the time, I had a 6 pack of Great Divide Titan IPA that was brewed it April 2008 and my wife purchased it in Nov 2008. I drank two bottles before I ever knew it was older so by the third I realized it was a bit past due. Was that a bad experience sure but whatever, breweries are not perfect and I will surely buy another sixer or bottle of Titan IPA in the future too. Maybe your letter will alert them to something that happened, it will be interesting to see a response if you get one from them.

#19 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 26 July 2009 - 12:56 PM

I will say that when using such strong terms to describe a problem to some one, spelling and grammar are pretty important. Claiming to be a homebrewer with 6ish years experience, and then typing a letter of complaint that is only barely polite doesn't make them want to take you seriously. I've always found that when typing a letter of complaint, one should always be as polite as possible and proof-read very carefully. Just my $.02

Agreed.

#20 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 01:17 PM

Agreed.

sho-nuff sucka

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users