40 replies to this topic

#21 Hightest

Hightest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationBridgeton, NJ

Posted 08 April 2009 - 04:45 AM

As mine was slightly carbonated, I drank it chilled (but not overly cold, ~ 43-45°F)

#22 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28429 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 09 April 2009 - 12:02 PM

I don't think anyone threw up the AG conversion yet:HT's recipe is calling for 5# light DME in 4.5gal water which is ~1.051.Based on a 76% mash efficiency you're looking at something like this to get 4.5gal of 1.051 wort:7.5# 2row.5# crystal 120.5# special BProbably do something like mash at 148 for a dry fermentation. Run off 18.5qts (.5qt for boil off) and boil for 5-10min to kill off anything before chilling to something like 100deg and adding honey.OR run off 16qts and plan to top up the batch after adding the honey with 2-2.5qts water.My thoughts anyways.

#23 Cliff Claven

Cliff Claven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Posted 12 April 2009 - 08:55 AM

I don't think anyone threw up the AG conversion yet:HT's recipe is calling for 5# light DME in 4.5gal water which is ~1.051.Based on a 76% mash efficiency you're looking at something like this to get 4.5gal of 1.051 wort:7.5# 2row.5# crystal 120.5# special BProbably do something like mash at 148 for a dry fermentation. Run off 18.5qts (.5qt for boil off) and boil for 5-10min to kill off anything before chilling to something like 100deg and adding honey.OR run off 16qts and plan to top up the batch after adding the honey with 2-2.5qts water.My thoughts anyways.

I'm curious as to the c-120 and S-B? The Light DME is going to give a light SRM while your grain bill is going to give something a little darker. I get SRM v. 17.Maybe 1lb of c-20?Or do they complement the blueberries?

#24 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28429 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 12 April 2009 - 05:54 PM

I'm curious as to the c-120 and S-B? The Light DME is going to give a light SRM while your grain bill is going to give something a little darker. I get SRM v. 17.Maybe 1lb of c-20?Or do they complement the blueberries?

I was only converting HT's recipe over to all grain, I didn't make up/alter those specialty grains. I've never brewed this so I can't comment.

#25 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 12 April 2009 - 06:24 PM

The recipe: Hightest's Blueberry BraggotMost popular starting time frame: May 23rd-30thWe have some time between now and when most people will be kicking this one off so I decided to start this as a planning thread. If you have any questions or comments about the recipe, process, where to find ingredients.... then post them up here. I'll start a separate results thread when we get closer to the start date.Also so we can keep a running tab of all those participating please post here that you're in. If you are planning to start this outside of the May 23rd-30th time frame add that info too. Since we got a good turnout for this group brew it would be great to have everybody start close together but we all know how brew schedules can be! If there is a group that needs to start this sooner or not at all I can start an early bird results thread and merge the two later.

I'll egt in if I get the E-Mail back from a new local honey Supplier I found, thr GF is a blueberry fanatic, this is up her alley.I assume frozen blueberries will be Ok for this? (never mind I read the recipe now) I go the beer side of it covered.In answer to Guest's comment on the boiling of the wort pre honey, i would assume that the AG version would need boiling at least a 30 minute boild but i may be wrong.hightest, what do you say?

Edited by mikeinspokane, 12 April 2009 - 06:27 PM.

#26 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 12 April 2009 - 06:28 PM

Why do we not need to boil the wort (extract version), pre-honey addition? What about the hot-break?

I assume because technically DME has ben boiled once already, other than that, I dunno.

#27 Hightest

Hightest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationBridgeton, NJ

Posted 13 April 2009 - 04:56 AM

...hightest, what do you say?

I would consider the reasons for boiling a wort - boiling precipitates protein, isomerizes hop acids, concentrates wort gravity, volatilizes undesirable malt & hop aromas, increases wort flavor & color, and sterilizes the wort. While the hop-based reasons do not apply, I beleive the remaining reasons provide worthwhile benefits and justify boiling the wort - especially when going all-grain. Yes, I would boil the wort, However, I would also reduce the base grain portion of the grain bill to account for the nominal 20% SG concent.ation that results from boiling... :)

#28 Cliff Claven

Cliff Claven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Posted 13 April 2009 - 03:18 PM

I was only converting HT's recipe over to all grain, I didn't make up/alter those specialty grains. I've never brewed this so I can't comment.

My bad, I didn't re-read the recipe. I was just going off of what you had posted.

#29 robsauce

robsauce

Comptroller of Teh Great Northern Wasteland

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 April 2009 - 12:18 PM

Hopefully this isnt a stupid question. The recipe lists both 71B yeast along with champagne yeast being optional. Does that mean its optional to use both 71B and champagne yeast? Or is it optional to use champagne yeast in place of the 71B?

#30 Hightest

Hightest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationBridgeton, NJ

Posted 17 April 2009 - 12:39 PM

Hopefully this isnt a stupid question. The recipe lists both 71B yeast along with champagne yeast being optional. Does that mean its optional to use both 71B and champagne yeast? Or is it optional to use champagne yeast in place of the 71B?

71B is used for the primary fermentation, and the Champagne yeast for bottle carbonation (if desired)... :)

#31 wengared

wengared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 05:33 AM

I'm getting ready to place my order for a few ingrediants i need for this, I was wondering , Instead of the special B, could i substitute cyrstal 20-60- or 80 which i have large amounts on hand?

#32 Hightest

Hightest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationBridgeton, NJ

Posted 12 May 2009 - 02:27 PM

... I was wondering , Instead of the special B, could i substitute cyrstal 20-60- or 80 which i have large amounts on hand?

The closest substitute would be a Crystal 120-140°L malt.

#33 Brewer Pete

Brewer Pete

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 13 May 2009 - 06:33 PM

Is there anything significant about the starting date for the brewing? Is it season-effect? I ask as im in reversed seasons and want to know if going into winter will skew the comparison results against the rest of the group and if I should wait until spring to roll around again and start at the end of spring as this start date indicates for Northern brewers involved?

#34 ANUSTART

ANUSTART

The Drunk Dump Truck Euphanism.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3268 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 14 May 2009 - 05:07 PM

I'm in. Do the Denver/Springs area members want to do a get together brew at someone's (Odacrem? :D) house, or just do it on our own?

But the important part is do we let him know first before we all go crash his house with a pile of brewing gear? ;)

The surprise wouldve worked... I didnt read this thread until just now.I ran out of reading material in the other forums and I still got 1/2 hr left to "work".

#35 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 28 May 2009 - 12:41 PM

In the fermenter last night.S.G.: 1.106 correctedThis morning, it is bubbling away.Discrepancy: All the thermometers in my house that go above 110*F are broken. :) I think the steeping water was ~170*F, but it might have been hotter.

Busted.Sorry everybody I have been meaning to get the group brew start thread posted but between a vacation (yea I know you all feel bad for me) and getting caught up now that I'm back I've been behind. I will post the getting started and process thread today and we can move start and process over there.Thanks for the kick in the pants Guest :lol:

#36 Wayne B

Wayne B

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 28 May 2009 - 02:24 PM

Busted.Sorry everybody I have been meaning to get the group brew start thread posted but between a vacation (yea I know you all feel bad for me) and getting caught up now that I'm back I've been behind. I will post the getting started and process thread today and we can move start and process over there.Thanks for the kick in the pants Guest :)

Well at least you were able to get started. I'm so far behind with stuff at home I will probably have to bow out of the group brew -- although I will get this batch going sometime in the next few weeks, I'll be a lot later than everyone else. Darned work is getting in the way of meadmaking again!! :lol:

#37 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 01 June 2009 - 08:22 PM

Once you have made your mead please do all discussion in this thread. I moved a couple posts pertaining to progress so if you don't see your post check over in the process thread. Thanks!

#38 wengared

wengared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 04:44 AM

Once you have made your mead please do all discussion in this thread. I moved a couple posts pertaining to progress so if you don't see your post check over in the process thread. Thanks!

why do we have two threads on this anyhow?

#39 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 02 June 2009 - 05:41 AM

why do we have two threads on this anyhow?

The first thread was the planning/question thread and the new one is the process now that everybody is moving. Just keeping a logical separation between planning, questions, and progress that's all.If it's confusing I could lock this thread.

#40 Hightest

Hightest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationBridgeton, NJ

Posted 02 June 2009 - 09:29 AM

...If it's confusing I could lock this thread.

That's how I used to handle the issue on "the other board". It's really, much simpler that way... :wub:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users