#1 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 02 April 2009 - 07:12 AM

The recipe: Hightest's Blueberry BraggotMost popular starting time frame: May 23rd-30thWe have some time between now and when most people will be kicking this one off so I decided to start this as a planning thread. If you have any questions or comments about the recipe, process, where to find ingredients.... then post them up here. I'll start a separate results thread when we get closer to the start date.Also so we can keep a running tab of all those participating please post here that you're in. If you are planning to start this outside of the May 23rd-30th time frame add that info too. Since we got a good turnout for this group brew it would be great to have everybody start close together but we all know how brew schedules can be! If there is a group that needs to start this sooner or not at all I can start an early bird results thread and merge the two later.

#2 wengared

wengared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:20 AM

I will be in, and this gives me time to get the correct ingrediants for his recipe.

#3 japh

japh

Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14962 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 02 April 2009 - 09:21 AM

I'm a maybe on this one.

#4 Glacies

Glacies

Comptroller of Schwanz Hats

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5095 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 09:40 AM

I will be in, and this gives me time to get the correct ingrediants for his recipe.

Yep, same here.

#5 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26158 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 02 April 2009 - 10:12 AM

It looks like Hightest doesn't specify a type of honey, does anyone have any input on type of honey that would work best for this recipe? I have approx 9lbs of mesquite that I've been looking for a use for, and I was wondering if you all thought that this would be an appropriate honey for this recipe? If it is I'm in, if not I'll have to hold off since 10lbs of honey isn't in the budget right now. Seems like the blueberries and malt might dominate a bit, so I don't imagine that the type of honey is a big concern, but wanted to check with the masses.

#6 Underminded

Underminded

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationMassillon, OH

Posted 02 April 2009 - 11:04 AM

I'm in.

#7 tjthresh

tjthresh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, IN

Posted 02 April 2009 - 11:51 AM

I'm in. I'm hoping to grab 10 lbs of honey from my father-in-law.Where can I get the yeast nutrients?

#8 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28427 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 02 April 2009 - 12:10 PM

I'm in. I'm hoping to grab 10 lbs of honey from my father-in-law.Where can I get the yeast nutrients?

Good point, I know I have some on hand as I suspect others do. When I bought the stuff was in 1lb increments which wasn't that expensive (foggy memory says $20 to get the stuff) but I suppose if folks aren't planning to do many meads to require picking up (and paying for shipping) on this stuff perhaps some of us could put together some smaller quantities for folks and shoot out an envelope or padded mailer?

#9 Glacies

Glacies

Comptroller of Schwanz Hats

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5095 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 12:17 PM

Good point, I know I have some on hand as I suspect others do. When I bought the stuff was in 1lb increments which wasn't that expensive (foggy memory says $20 to get the stuff) but I suppose if folks aren't planning to do many meads to require picking up (and paying for shipping) on this stuff perhaps some of us could put together some smaller quantities for folks and shoot out an envelope or padded mailer?

I was wondering that myself - but I just don't have the time to look at anything for the next 2 weeks (marriage next saturday)

#10 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 02 April 2009 - 12:28 PM

Since I make a bit of wine I have Fermaid K, DAP, Pectic enzyme, KMETA, and Go-Ferm around in reasonable quantity. If people don't plan on making many meads I'd be happy to make another bulk purchase, figure out the per ounce cost, and ship to those interested.Otherwise I know Northern Brewer carries all of the above mentioned things. KMETA can dual purpose as a sanitizer, Go-ferm is good for rehydrating any dry yeast, and Fermaid K would work just fine for a beer yeast nutrient. DAP and pectic enzyme are a little more WM&C centric but that just means you need to make more WM&C :devil:

#11 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28427 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 02 April 2009 - 12:34 PM

Since I make a bit of wine I have Fermaid K, DAP, Pectic enzyme, KMETA, and Go-Ferm around in reasonable quantity. If people don't plan on making many meads I'd be happy to make another bulk purchase, figure out the per ounce cost, and ship to those interested.Otherwise I know Northern Brewer carries all of the above mentioned things. KMETA can dual purpose as a sanitizer, Go-ferm is good for rehydrating any dry yeast, and Fermaid K would work just fine for a beer yeast nutrient. DAP and pectic enzyme are a little more WM&C centric but that just means you need to make more WM&C :devil:

I suppose it depends on how many people need stuff but since the recipe only needs <1/2oz of each DAP and Fermaid K, I figured some of us could just toss some stuff in the mail since we're talking $1 or such.Personally if I do this I'll probably not bother with picking up some go-ferm unless my LHBS has some on hand, I'm sure it helps some but I've managed without it fine.

#12 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 02 April 2009 - 12:35 PM

Package it good. Don't want any white powder leaking out onto the counter at the post office. :devil:

#13 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 02 April 2009 - 12:36 PM

I suppose it depends on how many people need stuff but since the recipe only needs <1/2oz of each DAP and Fermaid K, I figured some of us could just toss some stuff in the mail since we're talking $1 or such.Personally if I do this I'll probably not bother with picking up some go-ferm unless my LHBS has some on hand, I'm sure it helps some but I've managed without it fine.

Good point. If all you need is 1/2oz then yea, I'll even front the cost of the stamp :devil:

#14 Wayne B

Wayne B

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 02 April 2009 - 01:09 PM

Package it good. Don't want any white powder leaking out onto the counter at the post office. :)

Yeah, but Go-Ferm's light brown.... :smilielol:Seriously, I've got all of the above available in slightly more than reasonable quantity :devil: so if anyone is hesitating only because they don't have a particular nutrient, PM me and you'll have enough for the group brew in about a week.

Edited by Wayne B, 02 April 2009 - 01:11 PM.

#15 wengared

wengared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 01:48 PM

I have been using the generic yeast nutrients and energizers from my local LHBS store for my meads and wines and haven't had any problems with them. the only hangup i had was on cruzs apple butter cyser and im sure it was my fault for not monitering the ph better.

#16 Wayne B

Wayne B

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 02 April 2009 - 03:21 PM

I'm in. Do the Denver/Springs area members want to do a get together brew at someone's (Odacrem? :devil:) house, or just do it on our own?

Hmmm... I usually do my meads at home (up in Evergreen) and I haven't done a local group brew for a couple of years, but what the heck? If somebody wants to host it, I'll haul my must down there! :)

#17 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 02 April 2009 - 04:02 PM

I'm in. Do the Denver/Springs area members want to do a get together brew at someone's (Odacrem? :)) house, or just do it on our own?

But the important part is do we let him know first before we all go crash his house with a pile of brewing gear? :devil:

#18 Matt the Mead Maker

Matt the Mead Maker

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1409 posts
  • LocationWillamette Valley, Oregon

Posted 07 April 2009 - 04:07 PM

Count me in! I'll be going to Portland for some debauchery homebrew supplies in a couple of weeks, so I'll be ready.

Edited by Matt the Mead Maker, 07 April 2009 - 04:08 PM.

#19 wengared

wengared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 05:16 PM

stopped by the lhbs today on the way back from st. louis, so i got my dme, honey and blueberries will be wal-mart, so i'm good to go.

#20 Dave in Indiana

Dave in Indiana

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5988 posts
  • Locationa bustle in your hedgerow

Posted 07 April 2009 - 06:59 PM

Hightest - Are you drinking this chilled, at room temp, or white wine temps?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users