al_bob

Bamahout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11032 posts
  • LocationMidland, Texas USA

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:50 AM

True. But seriously, $5.25 for a pound? The shipping was more than the hops! :o

Yeah, I think it would be worth the investment to determine their viability. That's prolly what the growers want.

Probably won't notice some of those flavors/aromas till after a boil and ferment. IMO.

#22 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53962 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:10 PM

Yeah, I think it would be worth the investment to determine their viability. That's prolly what the growers want.

Probably won't notice some of those flavors/aromas till after a boil and ferment. IMO.

Agreed. I don't have a recipe in mind yet but I'm leaning towards a single-malt beer (probably Briess pale malt) with something clean to bitter with (maybe Magnum) and then a bunch of these hops late in the boil and everything fermented with 1272. If I have sampled some of these whirlpooled beers by the time I make this one (and I like the character), maybe an ounce or so of Belma in the whirlpool too. Dry hop also? Hey, for the love of man... I have a pound of them! :lol:

#23 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:29 PM

Agreed. I don't have a recipe in mind yet but I'm leaning towards a single-malt beer (probably Briess pale malt) with something clean to bitter with (maybe Magnum) and then a bunch of these hops late in the boil and everything fermented with 1272. If I have sampled some of these whirlpooled beers by the time I make this one (and I like the character), maybe an ounce or so of Belma in the whirlpool too. Dry hop also? Hey, for the love of man... I have a pound of them! :lol:

This sounds exactly what I was planning. Definitely dry hop. I still need to try this whirlpool addition everyone has been raving. I on the other hand bought 2lbs. :P A pound of pellets for brewing and a pound of leaf for the randall!

#24 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53962 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:22 PM

This sounds exactly what I was planning. Definitely dry hop. I still need to try this whirlpool addition everyone has been raving. I on the other hand bought 2lbs. :P A pound of pellets for brewing and a pound of leaf for the randall!

Dude, you're loaded with Belma!

Let's all compare notes once we've used these hops and see how the beers come out. Cheers.

#25 beach

beach

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:13 PM

2 lbs of Belma pellets are in the house! Impatiently awaiting other's feedback on this one. Beach

#26 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53962 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:56 PM

I just grabbed the box off the front porch. 1 pound of Belma pellets at 12.1% AA.

I have a few beers lined up and one that I was thinking about (call me a blow-dried poof, I don't mind) was a blonde ale where I bitter with something neutral (Magnum, Mt. Hood, Liberty, Northern Brewer) and then drop an ounce of these Belma pellets in with about 5 or 10 minutes left. Belma Blonde Ale. 5%, 25 IBUs, SRM 5, etc. Probably use 1056 or 1272. Since I have so much of these I would also make a pale ale where the Belma swam up your ass and lit a campfire. Maybe additions at 20, 15, 10, 5, whirlpool and dry hop. But I'd love some feedback because I don't want a dirty-gym sock, swampwater and baby-vomit pale ale. I'd like to take a whiff of these but I hate to compromise the nice foil packaing. Did anyone smell these yet? Thoughts?

#27 beach

beach

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:12 PM

I just grabbed the box off the front porch. 1 pound of Belma pellets at 12.1% AA.

I have a few beers lined up and one that I was thinking about (call me a blow-dried poof, I don't mind) was a blonde ale where I bitter with something neutral (Magnum, Mt. Hood, Liberty, Northern Brewer) and then drop an ounce of these Belma pellets in with about 5 or 10 minutes left. Belma Blonde Ale. 5%, 25 IBUs, SRM 5, etc. Probably use 1056 or 1272. Since I have so much of these I would also make a pale ale where the Belma swam up your ass and lit a campfire. Maybe additions at 20, 15, 10, 5, whirlpool and dry hop. But I'd love some feedback because I don't want a dirty-gym sock, swampwater and baby-vomit pale ale. I'd like to take a whiff of these but I hate to compromise the nice foil packaing. Did anyone smell these yet? Thoughts?

Ken, I'm laughing while reading your post again. Have you been drinking? My first instinct is to take my homage to Gumballhead and sub in the Belmas. Bitter with Cennt's, FWH and bomb at the end as well as whirlpool with all Belma. Up around an OG of 1.065'ish and somewhere in the neighborhood of 45 IBU. But, I'm waiting for reviews before proceeding.

I wanted to take a whiff too, but like you decided not to compromise the nice nitrogen purged environment. In the freezer they went.

Beach

#28 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:45 PM

I brewed with them Sunday. I liked what came off the kettle more than what I smelled in the bag. Not unusual but whatever. We will see in about 4 weeks. Personally, I think they will be fine but I'm not expecting a home run. eta, I say that about every brew

Edited by djinkc, 14 November 2012 - 08:46 PM.

#29 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53962 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:47 PM

Personally, I think they will be fine but I'm not expecting a home run.

Uh-oh. No home run?

Ken, I'm laughing while reading your post again. Have you been drinking?

Dude, I was totally sober when I typed that. Actually just got back from a thing at the high school and haven't had a drop all day. :mad:

#30 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53962 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:59 PM

Has anyone sampled a beer with these Belma hops yet? I just went to my freezer to take a quick hop inventory and remembered these. I want to open the package up SO BAD just so I can see what they smell like. I still have some 1272 knocking around although I also have fresher 1056. Whenever someone has this ready to go, please comment and give us some direction on how they worked in the beer, what you did and what you might do differently. I don't like having a pound of hops that I'm unsure how to use.

#31 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:11 PM

Has anyone sampled a beer with these Belma hops yet? I just went to my freezer to take a quick hop inventory and remembered these. I want to open the package up SO BAD just so I can see what they smell like. I still have some 1272 knocking around although I also have fresher 1056. Whenever someone has this ready to go, please comment and give us some direction on how they worked in the beer, what you did and what you might do differently. I don't like having a pound of hops that I'm unsure how to use.

Mine's been carbing for about 1 week, so I'll go at least another. About 3:1 pils:vienna with a touch of crystal. It should let them have their say.

But I'm not going to say a word about them until you have them in the kettle.

B) :devil:

eta, I better like them, 3.5# is in the freezer - to cheap to not load when I ordered.

Edited by djinkc, 29 November 2012 - 08:12 PM.

#32 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:13 PM

Reviews are coming in at HBT. https://www.homebrew...492/index5.html

#33 al_bob

al_bob

Bamahout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11032 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:45 AM

We got a couple of pounds in our club order just to give out to brewers who will use them soon so we all know what they're like. I'll tell you one thing, they are a very pungent aromatic hop out of the bag. I packaged a pound into 2oz packages and was really impressed at how strong they smelled. I wonder how they'll brew? I'll get to find out soon.

#34 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:05 PM

Still haven't gotten around to the Belmapocalypse. Probably brew it up next weekend.

#35 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53962 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:07 PM

Reviews are coming in at HBT.
https://www.homebrew...492/index5.html

I saw that and actually commented in that thread.

Did anyone catch what they were saying about the hops they got? Someone commented on the aroma being very garlic & onion-like. Someone else commented on that and then someone suggested that it was just a gas or something that they purge the bags with. I mentioned that a bag of Galaxy that I got from HopUnion was Onion-Palooza when I opened it & smelled it but none of that ended up in the final beer. This Belma hop is supposed to have the character of Strawberry, Melon and Orange and if it ends up smelling or tasting of onion and garlic... $5.25 per pound was too expensive. <_<

#36 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:39 PM

Ken, being the master brewer that you are your telling me you don't have a food saver by now so you can pop that bag open to get a whiff and seal them back up?!

#37 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53962 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:52 PM

Ken, being the master brewer that you are your telling me you don't have a food saver by now so you can pop that bag open to get a whiff and seal them back up?!

You must be thinking of some other Ken. No, no food saver here but I don't buy pounds and pounds of hops at a time like many do. I typically buy ounces and if I have a multi-ounces single pack, I put them in a ziploc bag and back into the freezer.

#38 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:48 AM

You must be thinking of some other Ken. No, no food saver here but I don't buy pounds and pounds of hops at a time like many do. I typically buy ounces and if I have a multi-ounces single pack, I put them in a ziploc bag and back into the freezer.

I see. Do you want one? Pm me your address.

#39 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53962 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:53 AM

I see. Do you want one? Pm me your address.

You have a food saver type thing that you're not using!? PM about to be sent! :)

#40 al_bob

al_bob

Bamahout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11032 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:45 AM

The link to the thread over at homebrewtalk.com sounds promising. I only got into it a few pages and hope to finish it soon. A couple of guys are raving about the Belmas. Sounds like they are mixing them with another hop or two.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users