#1 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:02 PM

I just picked up a pound of the new Belma hop (pellet) that Hops Direct is pimping and planning to do an all Belma IPA. I threw together a simple recipe in about 5 minutes and welcome any input before I put this in the lineup. Recipe: Belmapocalypse Style: American IPA TYPE: All Grain Recipe Specifications -------------------------- Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal Estimated OG: 1.068 SG Estimated Color: 5.8 SRM Estimated IBU: 64.8 IBUs Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 % Boil Time: 60 Minutes Ingredients: ------------ Amt Name Type # %/IBU 12 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 92.3 % 8.0 oz Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 2 3.8 % 4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 3 1.9 % 4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4 1.9 % 1.00 oz Belma [11.30 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 5 37.4 IBUs 1.00 oz Belma [11.30 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 6 20.6 IBUs 1.00 oz Belma [11.30 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 7 6.8 IBUs 2.00 oz Belma [11.30 %] - 170 degree 15 min Hop 8 0.0 IBUs 1.0 pkg American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) Yeast 9 - Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out Total Grain Weight: 13 lbs ---------------------------- Name Description Step Temperat Step Time Mash In Add 5.03 gal of water at 160.6 F 148.0 F 75 min Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (Drain mash tun, , 4.71gal) of 170.0 F water

#2 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:04 PM

How did they smell? I should have a couple pounds showing up anytime.

#3 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:14 PM

Haven't received them yet :blush: I'm doing a go big or go home approach with this one. Love it or hate it, I'm brewing it.

Edited by MyBeerPants, 08 November 2012 - 02:14 PM.

#4 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53901 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:44 PM

Sounds interesting. Belma Hops

An unbelievable number of new hops out there lately and if you stick with the standard hop varieties for any length of time, you'll get left behind. I have a number of beers in the pipeline that include hops I hadn't tried before including Nelson Sauvin, Motueka, Citra, Galaxy and a couple others. You'll have to let us know how the Belma hops work in your IPA.

#5 beach

beach

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:00 PM

As Ken said, please update when this beer is served. I just followed the link and liked the description and price enough to order a couple of lbs. Beach

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53901 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:06 PM

Has anyone wondered how these hops get their flavor? We have had citrus-type hops for awhile but all of this tropical fruit, mango, passionfruit, orange, lemon-lime, pineapple all seems quite recent to me and I wonder how they "create" these hop varieties and how they decide what flavor to go for. What's next, brussel sprouts, banana and raisins? :frantic: EDIT: That comment is interesting too. An American Wheat with all of the additions made after 30 minutes. Clean but with an orange character that carried over to the flavor. Sounds pretty nice.

Edited by KenLenard, 08 November 2012 - 06:08 PM.

#7 beach

beach

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:43 PM

I'm wondering how these will play with Amarillo and Citra since I have those in the freezer. Nelson S for that matter, just picked up a lb of those today. Beach

Edited by beach, 08 November 2012 - 06:44 PM.

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53901 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:53 PM

I ordered a pound too. Pellets.

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53901 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:03 AM

I get the feeling that a lot of these new hops (Nelson, Citra, Galaxy) are better for later in the boil. This description says it's "dual purpose" and "very clean" so I wonder how it will be with early additions made. The one comment about the American Wheat says the first addition was at 30 so that doesn't help. MBP: I see that you're going with FWH, 20, 5 and whirlpool so the question will be... how clean will the beer be with that one ounce of FWH in there for the entire boil? I'm looking forward to trying these and it will probably be in a late-hopped APA very similar to MBP's recipe but lower ABV and IBU. Cheers.

#10 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:29 AM

Has anyone wondered how these hops get their flavor? We have had citrus-type hops for awhile but all of this tropical fruit, mango, passionfruit, orange, lemon-lime, pineapple all seems quite recent to me and I wonder how they "create" these hop varieties and how they decide what flavor to go for. What's next, brussel sprouts, banana and raisins?

As far as I know they cross breed varieties and whatever happens happens. They choose the varieties based on some characteristic that they like in them and they select the offspring that display those characteristics. For example, they may cross breed a variety that has a flavor they like with another that is disease resistant or has a higher yield or something like that. Then the offspring that actually do display those characteristics are the ones that "make it".

#11 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:40 AM

I get the feeling that a lot of these new hops (Nelson, Citra, Galaxy) are better for later in the boil. This description says it's "dual purpose" and "very clean" so I wonder how it will be with early additions made. The one comment about the American Wheat says the first addition was at 30 so that doesn't help. MBP: I see that you're going with FWH, 20, 5 and whirlpool so the question will be... how clean will the beer be with that one ounce of FWH in there for the entire boil? I'm looking forward to trying these and it will probably be in a late-hopped APA very similar to MBP's recipe but lower ABV and IBU. Cheers.

I really don't know what to expect from this one, but I'm excited to give it a go.

I will report back one this one has been brewed and again once it's on tap.

#12 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53901 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:04 PM

I really don't know what to expect from this one, but I'm excited to give it a go.

I will report back one this one has been brewed and again once it's on tap.

:frank:

#13 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:50 PM

Haven't received them yet :blush:
I'm doing a go big or go home approach with this one. Love it or hate it, I'm brewing it.

Mine just showed up. Looks like an APA with all Belmas will be brewed tomorrow or Sunday.

#14 beach

beach

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:25 PM

Mine just showed up. Looks like an APA with all Belmas will be brewed tomorrow or Sunday.

Cool dj. Please post your impressions of this hop as you can. I'll be planning a beer with them once the hops make it here.

Beach

#15 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:04 PM

Cool dj. Please post your impressions of this hop as you can. I'll be planning a beer with them once the hops make it here.

Beach

Bagged up the additions for tomorrow's brew. Should showcase them. About 66/33 pils/vienna with a touch of C-80. 1056, 1.054 and around 60 IBU's.

First impression, a little earthy, some subdued onion/chives and subdued tropical fruits. That said, I'm not really worried and won't bail/substitute tomorrow. Who knows what they will do after hitting the kettle - been there before.

I'm using a 60 min bittering of Gr. Magnums for about 20 IBUs and then Belma 20 minutes and after.

#16 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53901 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:44 PM

Any of the orange, strawberry, melon notes mentioned on the PF site? I would imagine that smelling them would be one thing and adding them to the boil something completely different so all bets are off. I'm looking forward to my pound of pellets arriving. Cheers.

#17 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:12 PM

I was thinking about ordering these then I saw the comet as well. hmmm don't know what to do.

#18 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:48 AM

I was thinking about ordering these then I saw the comet as well. hmmm don't know what to do.

Order both that's what I just did, dang this place always getting me to spend my money. :P

#19 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:55 AM

I was thinking that these varieties would keep me from getting mad about not being to get Amarillo or Citra or break the bank getting them or some of the NZ/Aussie varieties.

#20 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53901 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:34 AM

Order both that's what I just did, dang this place always getting me to spend my money. :P

True. But seriously, $5.25 for a pound? The shipping was more than the hops! :o

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users