#21 Brownbeard

Brownbeard

Comptroller of Ilks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40959 posts
  • LocationCedar Rapids, Ia

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:24 AM

Use a bigger vessel if you are going to use real fruit.

I was planning on doing my secondary in a 6.5 gal carboy. Is that big enough? Seriously, I have never used fruit. I am wondering if I might just be better off using extract. I am going to use Apricot, whichever way I go with it. If I use "fresh fruit" it will be the bagged frozen fruit at the grocery store.

#22 dagomike

dagomike

Comptroller of CrapPapples

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19208 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:44 AM

Huh? This is my first fruit beer. Any tips are welcome, but I don't get that.

LOTS of fruit. :covreyes:New Glarus Belgian Red, for example. OMFG.What'd I suggest one of the three#1 - get extract. Pull a pint of the finished beer and a ml syringe. Add extract until it's too strong (to know you went too far) Calculate how much to add at bottling or to the keg#2 - Wing it and use a couple cans of Oregon stuff.#3 - Wing it and get frozen from GFSOnce you figure it out, then go nuts ala New Glarus. I wouldn't waste fresh fruit until you know exactly what you want to do. Expensive and PITA.

Edited by dagomike, 03 April 2009 - 08:54 AM.

#23 dagomike

dagomike

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19208 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:50 AM

I was planning on doing my secondary in a 6.5 gal carboy. Is that big enough? Seriously, I have never used fruit. I am wondering if I might just be better off using extract. I am going to use Apricot, whichever way I go with it. If I use "fresh fruit" it will be the bagged frozen fruit at the grocery store.

Here's an adventure using pitted canned cherries:https://blog.flamini...es/cherry_wheatNot nearly enough fruit, IMO. I want to try again with like 20 lbs.

#24 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:00 AM

#2 - Wing it and use a couple cans of Oregon stuff.

Very expensive alternative and wont come close to NG Belgian Red.

#25 dagomike

dagomike

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19208 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:07 AM

Very expensive alternative and wont come close to NG Belgian Red.

Well, no but that's not what I meant. You can toss in 3# for like $15 or something to test the waters. And its' super easy. Obviously more expensive than extract, but more times than not I thought the extract was disappointing.

#26 Brownbeard

Brownbeard

Comptroller of Ilks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40959 posts
  • LocationCedar Rapids, Ia

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:20 AM

I don't want it to be as fruity as the Belgian Red. I want a nice clean wheat ale, with a subtle fruit flavor. Think Pyramid Apricot Ale, or Wheach from O'Fallon brewery.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users