#1 Brownbeard

Brownbeard

Comptroller of Ilks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40912 posts
  • LocationCedar Rapids, Ia

Posted 02 April 2009 - 06:54 AM

I am going to do an american wheat beer this weekend, with the intent of adding some fruit to it. Would 1056 be an acceptable yeast for that? I'm not look for any Hefe qualities, so I am trying to stay away from Hefe yeasts. And, I have a great big jar of recently harvested 1056.If you don't think it would be a good option, what would you suggest. Need to order today, if I am going to have it for the weekend.

#2 TelemarkBrew

TelemarkBrew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSW CT

Posted 02 April 2009 - 07:12 AM

yes would work fine.

#3 MoreAmmoPlz

MoreAmmoPlz

Comptroller of Ivory Powers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2165 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 02 April 2009 - 07:19 AM

Last year I made an American wheat using US-05 and it turned out pretty good. In the end I wish I would have used an American wheat yeast instead because I missed having a bit of twang.

#4 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 02 April 2009 - 07:24 AM

Last year I made an American wheat using US-05 and it turned out pretty good. In the end I wish I would have used an American wheat yeast instead because I missed having a bit of twang.

I've done the same - it's OK, but I really prefer Wyeast 1010and bump it up out of the BJCP style with your OG and IBU's - you'll be glad you did

#5 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2009 - 07:25 AM

Ive used it once on a Wheat. The beer was less than stellar. Way to neutral for my tastes.As Dan mentioned, make a hoppy Wheat and let the hops do their thing. I didnt do that and the beer was flat. Another time I used Am. II and that helped. But I also had over 1# of Amarillo in there too!

Edited by Blktre, 02 April 2009 - 07:27 AM.

#6 dagomike

dagomike

Comptroller of CrapPapples

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19172 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 07:32 AM

American/Cal Ale is my favorite yeast, so I'm probably a little bias. It will obviously make a nice clean beer to let the wheat and whatever else you want to do stand out. Just note that the American Hefe is a completely different beast than the classic German. Much cleaner.

Edited by dagomike, 02 April 2009 - 07:37 AM.

#7 MetlGuy

MetlGuy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationYork, SC

Posted 02 April 2009 - 07:33 AM

I have had problems with US-05 and 1056 over attenuating recently.

#8 TelemarkBrew

TelemarkBrew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSW CT

Posted 02 April 2009 - 07:34 AM

if he's adding fruit, I'm guessing that flavor would be the one you want highlighted, not necessarily the extra bit from the yeast, so that is why i said 1056 was fine.

#9 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2009 - 07:41 AM

if he's adding fruit, I'm guessing that flavor would be the one you want highlighted, not necessarily the extra bit from the yeast, so that is why i said 1056 was fine.

Missed the fruit part.....my bad.

#10 Brownbeard

Brownbeard

Comptroller of Ilks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40912 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:07 AM

My wife likes fruit beers, so this beer is really all about being a fruit beer.

#11 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:09 AM

My wife likes fruit beers, so this beer is really all about being a fruit beer.

What fruit and how do you plan to handle the fruit into your Wheat?

#12 Brownbeard

Brownbeard

Comptroller of Ilks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40912 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:34 AM

What fruit and how do you plan to handle the fruit into your Wheat?

Either apricots, cherries, or peach. We have had some apricot beers that she has liked. No matter what I say about it, Sam Adams Cherry Wheat is her go to beer. I have heard that apricots actually give off a better peach flavor in beer than peaches. My plan is to use frozen fruit, and add to a secondary fermentor. Then do a tertiary ferment, to clear it up. This will be my first fruit beer. For cherry, I have considered using the cherry juice concentrate from the grocery store. This stuff.There is always the extract option.

#13 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47783 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:42 AM

Either apricots, cherries, or peach. We have had some apricot beers that she has liked. No matter what I say about it, Sam Adams Cherry Wheat is her go to beer. I have heard that apricots actually give off a better peach flavor in beer than peaches. ...There is always the extract option.

That's true, IME. Peaches don't hold up well at all to fermentation. The taste changes. Extracts are almost always a bad idea. I've never used one I was happy with.As for the yeast, I make American Wheat with US05 all the time. It's my third favorite behind Wy1010(which I no longer use because I've gone almost exclusively dry) and Nottingham which gives a little twang. Like you, I often have cakes of US05 left over because I use it for other beers, and I have NO problems at all tossing an AmWheat on top of them.

#14 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:50 AM

I agree that the 1056 could be boring, but if fruit is supposed to take center stage, you'll need to restrain yourself on the hops and the 1056 will sit quietly (very quietly) in the background and let the fruit come through. If it was going to be an easy-drinking American wheat with no fruit, you could have done anything... 2565, 1007, 1010 (a little spicy & clovey), etc. I have used 2565 and 1007 in an "American Wheat" and added 2 oz of McCormick Raspberry extract from the grocery store. This is the stuff they use in raspberry brownies & such and it is MUCH better than the cough-syrupy extracts from the LHBS. Cheers.

#15 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:52 AM

Fwiw,The Apricot Extract that B3 sells is a winner. I make a Apricot Wheat every year for our annual fundraiser using this stuff. Its easy and you add it to the keg. Little by little until you get the right amount of flavor. Tons easier than using real fruit. And honestly, i cant tell much, if any, difference in taste between the extract and real fruit. But if i had some fresh fruit on hand, i could be talked into using it if i felt like doing the extra work. Its been a real panty dropper w/all the ladies every year. https://morebeer.com...5//Apricot_4_ozOh, the Cherry concentrate. Ive used it before. I know for sure id use fresh Cherries over that stuff for sure.

#16 japh

japh

Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14896 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:55 AM

Yeah, I'd use 1056 for a fruit wheat beer. One thing I found when I did a berry wheat is that it can get quite tart if you're not careful, so make sure you have some non-fermentable sugars in there to balance.

#17 Alpha Male

Alpha Male

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationCollinsville Il.

Posted 03 April 2009 - 07:25 AM

Yep the 1056 would be a good one.Jeff

#18 dagomike

dagomike

Comptroller of CrapPapples

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19172 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 07:57 AM

A tip when it comes to fruit.... get a 6.5 gallon carboy or wine bucket. Fill with fruit. Top off with beer. :covreyes:

#19 Brownbeard

Brownbeard

Comptroller of Ilks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40912 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:10 AM

A tip when it comes to fruit.... get a 6.5 gallon carboy or wine bucket. Fill with fruit. Top off with beer. :covreyes:

Huh? This is my first fruit beer. Any tips are welcome, but I don't get that.

#20 tjthresh

tjthresh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, IN

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:19 AM

Huh? This is my first fruit beer. Any tips are welcome, but I don't get that.

Use a bigger vessel if you are going to use real fruit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users