#1 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64136 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 16 July 2009 - 06:42 AM

The problem with those damn podcasts is that every time I listen to one I want to brew that style. Now my brewing queue is like 50 beers long, but I can't decide which one should be the next one. :)

#2 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 16 July 2009 - 06:47 AM

Rough life isn't it? :)

#3 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 16 July 2009 - 07:04 AM

Since I don't see the Edit button for this string. I must add that I understand your feelings. I keep updating my signature to show what I have and what I wanna do next. I just sat down and planned around 6-7 lagers using about 2-3 yeasts reusing and going up the scale in gravity. Isn't it great thought I love this stuff. Hope the inspiration continues to grow for you!!

#4 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64136 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 16 July 2009 - 07:39 AM

Well, I do already have my next two planned out...Hefe and Vienna...and I guess it only makes sense that I should make a high gravity lager with my Vienna cake. After that, it changes based on whatever I listened to last.

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54206 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 08:04 AM

Please post the recipe for the Vienna you plan to make (if you didn't already). I was thinking of making one and I have some info from BryanH on a Vienna he made recently. Btw... I also like the BN podcasts but I have to say that they can sometimes be WAY too long. I listened to the one on reusing yeast and even though there was good info there, it also included some long-winded nonsense. Cheers!

#6 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64136 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 16 July 2009 - 09:13 AM

I've been listening to them during my commute and while doing yard work...those are two times when I don't mind a little long-winded nonsense. :)I don;t think I've posted my Vienna recipe, I'm still working on it. It's pretty much 2/3 Munich, 1/3 Pils w/ 9 HBUs of Mittelfruh at 60min and 3 HBUs at 10 min (11.5 gallon post boil batch size). OG 1.048, ~20IBU. Maybe mash at 152. WLP830.

#7 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 16 July 2009 - 09:55 AM

Please post the recipe for the Vienna you plan to make (if you didn't already). I was thinking of making one and I have some info from BryanH on a Vienna he made recently. Btw... I also like the BN podcasts but I have to say that they can sometimes be WAY too long. I listened to the one on reusing yeast and even though there was good info there, it also included some long-winded nonsense. Cheers!

I will post my recipe when I get home from work this afternoon. I created mine like a month ago but just didn't get it ready to go yet. It would be great to get your insight Ken for this one and love to hear what your friend has done as well. JK if you were ready it could be posted together as well. I will probably get mine going for next weekend as I keep brewing ales to keep my stock up before I start some lagers as well.

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54206 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 12:13 PM

I've been listening to them during my commute and while doing yard work...those are two times when I don't mind a little long-winded nonsense. :rolleyes:I don;t think I've posted my Vienna recipe, I'm still working on it. It's pretty much 2/3 Munich, 1/3 Pils w/ 9 HBUs of Mittelfruh at 60min and 3 HBUs at 10 min (11.5 gallon post boil batch size). OG 1.048, ~20IBU. Maybe mash at 152. WLP830.

A vienna with no vienna? :unsure: Hmm. I'm sure it will make a nice beer but I'm thinking that a vienna with no vienna is like a cigar store without a cigar store indian. Also, guys... please let me know what yeast you plan to use. I already have an Oktobefest Lager where I use Wyeast 2124 and a Marzenbier where I use 2206 and I'd like to set the Vienna apart by using a different strain. 2633? White Labs 820? 833? 2308? Cheers.

#9 tag

tag

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1209 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 16 July 2009 - 12:34 PM

it only makes sense that I should make a high gravity lager with my Vienna cake

Definitely do a Doppelbock, Baltic Porter, etc.

#10 DubbelEntendre

DubbelEntendre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 16 July 2009 - 12:38 PM

Seriously, do you all brew like twice a week. I get 1 session in every other week if I'm lucky.

#11 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 12:45 PM

Seriously, do you all brew like twice a week. I get 1 session in every other week if I'm lucky.

I think one time I did 2 in one week. Otherwise it's more like once a month b/c I can't drink the beer fast enough!

#12 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64136 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 16 July 2009 - 01:18 PM

I've brewed 4 beers in the last two years. I'm just trying to up my production (a lot). I'd be ecstatic if I could brew 20-25 batches a year from here on out. It's a hard pace to keep though.

#13 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 16 July 2009 - 01:25 PM

Ah come one guys whats the deal? :rolleyes: I just brewed batches 17 and 18 this past weekend. If one finishes 19 is going into the can. I brew probably 2-3 weekends a month. Thats what I enjoy the most is the planning, brewing and caring the drinking is a plus. If I got a few glasses of each beer I would be happy but I try to share as much as I can. I think I have the mentality to run a brewery and hopefully one day thats what I will do too. Last year I brewed 28 and I am planning to eclipse that mark as well for 2009. I am going tonight and picking up my share of bags of grain (7) from a grain buy here that we got from NCM. I love it. Look at my signature of my post that will tell you what I have on hand. I would brew everyday if I could, brewing is not work to me its a passion of mine.

#14 DubbelEntendre

DubbelEntendre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 16 July 2009 - 02:24 PM

Ah come one guys whats the deal? :rolleyes: I just brewed batches 17 and 18 this past weekend. If one finishes 19 is going into the can. I brew probably 2-3 weekends a month. Thats what I enjoy the most is the planning, brewing and caring the drinking is a plus. If I got a few glasses of each beer I would be happy but I try to share as much as I can. I think I have the mentality to run a brewery and hopefully one day thats what I will do too. Last year I brewed 28 and I am planning to eclipse that mark as well for 2009. I am going tonight and picking up my share of bags of grain (7) from a grain buy here that we got from NCM. I love it. Look at my signature of my post that will tell you what I have on hand. I would brew everyday if I could, brewing is not work to me its a passion of mine.

I agree with this sentiment, I just don't have the time to brew that much, or the space to keep the finished product on hand once its done. I can house 8 kegs in the kegerator and have room for 2 spares, but that's it. So, if I'm not drinking them quickly enough then I can't brew. I've probably only done 10 batches this year.

#15 Cliff Claven

Cliff Claven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Posted 16 July 2009 - 06:33 PM

ncbeerbreweryou are married,, right? :unsure: j/k :rolleyes:

#16 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26192 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 16 July 2009 - 06:44 PM

A vienna with no vienna? :rolleyes: Hmm. I'm sure it will make a nice beer but I'm thinking that a vienna with no vienna is like a cigar store without a cigar store indian. Also, guys... please let me know what yeast you plan to use. I already have an Oktobefest Lager where I use Wyeast 2124 and a Marzenbier where I use 2206 and I'd like to set the Vienna apart by using a different strain. 2633? White Labs 820? 833? 2308? Cheers.

I only know WL, but 833 is my go to lager yeast and it would work great in a vienna

#17 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

Comptroller of Teh Beefs and other beeflike animals that are tas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8263 posts
  • LocationGreat Plains, KS

Posted 16 July 2009 - 07:23 PM

A vienna with no vienna? :rolleyes: Hmm. I'm sure it will make a nice beer but I'm thinking that a vienna with no vienna is like a cigar store without a cigar store indian.

I'm Indian (feather) and don't smoke cigars. Does one need to be a leprechaun to eat corned beef?

#18 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 04:39 AM

The problem with those damn podcasts is that every time I listen to one I want to brew that style. Now my brewing queue is like 50 beers long, but I can't decide which one should be the next one. :rolleyes:

yes - so many styles, so little time.

#19 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 17 July 2009 - 05:11 AM

Seriously, do you all brew like twice a week. ...

Well, that's what we tell ya. :rolleyes:Reality might be different.Personally I knocked myself out last year. So far only two batches this year.

#20 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64136 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 17 July 2009 - 05:51 AM

A vienna with no vienna? :rolleyes: Hmm. I'm sure it will make a nice beer but I'm thinking that a vienna with no vienna is like a cigar store without a cigar store indian. Also, guys... please let me know what yeast you plan to use. I already have an Oktobefest Lager where I use Wyeast 2124 and a Marzenbier where I use 2206 and I'd like to set the Vienna apart by using a different strain. 2633? White Labs 820? 833? 2308? Cheers.

Well, I got the idea from the aforementioned BN podcast for Vienna Lagers. They seemed to think that you could do a Vienna equally well with 100% Vienna or 2:1 Munich:Pils. Seeing that I have stock of Munich and Pils, that became my starting point for the recipe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users