#21 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49866 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 18 July 2009 - 08:35 AM

I think nibs are small pieces of chocolate. I would strongly advise against using chocolate bars due to the fat content. No bueno for head retention and carbonation in general. I really like using cocoa powder though. It is really the way to go. End of boil. There are a lot of different kinds out there so you really have a great way to tune in what kind of chocolate flavor you want. I did not see this mentioned, but the most "chocolatey" malt I have ever used is chocolate rye. I cannot recommend this malt highly enough. It is really good stuff. In small quantities, it adds a sweet and rich maltiness and as you add more, the more and more chocolate that comes out. 1# in 5 gal will be chocolatey. I have used cocoa powder and the chocolate rye several times together for wonderful chocolate stouts and porters. Also something to consider, the cocoa powder doesn't really contribute much to color. I made a chocolate orange saison and chocolate orange imperial wit that were both very tasty and rich but quite pale in color.

#22 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 18 July 2009 - 01:53 PM

Forgive my ignorance, is a chocolate nib basically the raw chocolate bean?

Cocao nibs are broken up pieces of roasted cocao beans, with the husks removed.

Edited by stellarbrew, 18 July 2009 - 01:54 PM.

#23 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48013 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 19 July 2009 - 12:12 AM

I don't get any "chocolate" flavor at all from chocolate malt. It's one step away from black malt, IMO. I just consider it lighter black patent. One of the worst beers I ever made early on was supposed to be a chocolate porter that I overdosed with (duh) chocolate malt - I think 2 pounds. It was a horrible, ashtray-like brew that ended up getting dumped.Pale choco is better, but I still don't get cocoa flavor from it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users