#1 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 14 July 2009 - 09:23 PM

Hey all,I’m going to brew a stout and I want to really add a chocolate flavor to the beer. I planned on using chocolate malt, but is there anything else that you all can recommend to me (other than actually adding chocolate). Thanks!JayB

#2 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 14 July 2009 - 11:22 PM

Hey all,I’m going to brew a stout and I want to really add a chocolate flavor to the beer. I planned on using chocolate malt, but is there anything else that you all can recommend to me (other than actually adding chocolate). Thanks!JayB

I brewed a batch where I put a whole can of Scherffenberger Cocoa in. Was a Dark Chocolate Porter. When I emptied the boil kettle into the fermenter, I made sure to get all the trub as well so it would ferment on top of all that chocolate. I let it sit in the fermenter for like a month before secondary where it stayed for 2 weeks. The chocolate flavor was incredible actually and I think it had to do with sitting on all that trub in the primary.

#3 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 15 July 2009 - 02:36 AM

I brewed a batch where I put a whole can of Scherffenberger Cocoa in. Was a Dark Chocolate Porter. When I emptied the boil kettle into the fermenter, I made sure to get all the trub as well so it would ferment on top of all that chocolate. I let it sit in the fermenter for like a month before secondary where it stayed for 2 weeks. The chocolate flavor was incredible actually and I think it had to do with sitting on all that trub in the primary.

+1. I have not used that brand of powder but I do agree get a good quality Cocoa powder and add last 15-0 mins to the boil. I know you said you didn't wanna add chocolate but cocoa nibs in secondary work well also.

#4 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 15 July 2009 - 06:53 AM

I have had several chocolate type beers, made one with Chocolate bars in my early days. Terrible for the most part, taste cloying and like the chocolate oils seperated from the beer floating on top. Yuck! the best i have done is I Use Chocolate Wheat, i love the stuff. Blends right in nicely with the beer. I used one pound once, not totally over-powering . I had no complaints from my crew of beer samplers. I would used less than that now , myself i use no more than 12 oz in a brew now.

#5 Winkydowbrewing

Winkydowbrewing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationWorcester, MA

Posted 15 July 2009 - 07:21 AM

Ive used bakers chocolate in a choco cherry stout, just melt the chocolate first and add it slowly like extract. I have also taken cocoa beans from madagascar and smashed them up good and soaked in vodka for about a week. That adds a slightly different flavor, more for a background note of chocolate but was a nice touch. I typically back that up with some chocolate malt as well with good results.

#6 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:13 AM

I have had several chocolate type beers, made one with Chocolate bars in my early days. Terrible for the most part, taste cloying and like the chocolate oils seperated from the beer floating on top. Yuck! the best i have done is I Use Chocolate Wheat, i love the stuff. Blends right in nicely with the beer. I used one pound once, not totally over-powering . I had no complaints from my crew of beer samplers. I would used less than that now , myself i use no more than 12 oz in a brew now.

This is more what I'm thinking about. I'm wondering what combination of malts will add a chocholaty flavor. I was thinking about chocolate rye, but what about brown malt, or something else?

#7 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 10:41 AM

It is my understanding that the name of the malt doesn't necessarily coorelate to the flavor, but is more of an indication to the color that it contributes. Like the different levels of Caramel malts. I could be wrong though, so I'm interested to read this thread more. :D

#8 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 15 July 2009 - 10:47 AM

It is my understanding that the name of the malt doesn't necessarily coorelate to the flavor, but is more of an indication to the color that it contributes. Like the different levels of Caramel malts. I could be wrong though, so I'm interested to read this thread more. :)

No, you're right. Like black malt doesn't taste black, and Munich doesn't taste like Germany. But I'm pretty sure Chocolate malt does contribute a chocolate flavor. I'm looking for more suggestions though.

#9 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 10:49 AM

No, you're right. Like black malt doesn't taste black, and Munich doesn't taste like Germany. But I'm pretty sure Chocolate malt does contribute a chocolate flavor. I'm looking for more suggestions though.

:) Have you ever tasted Germany? :covreyes: Funny guy..

#10 Winkydowbrewing

Winkydowbrewing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationWorcester, MA

Posted 15 July 2009 - 11:47 AM

Personally speaking I find that chocolate malt does impart a slight chocolate flavor, could it be perception triggered by the fact that I know "chocolate malt" is in there, yes...but I like it and want to keep my brain convincing me of that.

#11 Brewmasters Warehouse

Brewmasters Warehouse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 11:55 AM

Personally speaking I find that chocolate malt does impart a slight chocolate flavor, could it be perception triggered by the fact that I know "chocolate malt" is in there, yes...but I like it and want to keep my brain convincing me of that.

I agree with you that chocolate malt does give a chocolate taste to beer. I personally like to use Pale chocolate, I think the flavor is slightly different than normal chocolate malt, and I like it better. YMMV.Ed

#12 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 15 July 2009 - 12:00 PM

I agree with you that chocolate malt does give a chocolate taste to beer. I personally like to use Pale chocolate, I think the flavor is slightly different than normal chocolate malt, and I like it better. YMMV.Ed

Do you think Pale Choc gives a more intense chocolate flavor? I've never used it before because none of my LHBS has it. It's something I would have to order online and I'm just curious what it's like.

#13 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 15 July 2009 - 12:10 PM

Do you think Pale Choc gives a more intense chocolate flavor? I've never used it before because none of my LHBS has it. It's something I would have to order online and I'm just curious what it's like.

The chocolate flavor is not as strong as (dark) chocolate malt. However, it has more of a malt flavor to go with it. That makes it pretty unique, I think.

#14 Brewmasters Warehouse

Brewmasters Warehouse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 12:29 PM

The chocolate flavor is not as strong as (dark) chocolate malt. However, it has more of a malt flavor to go with it. That makes it pretty unique, I think.

+1 Thanks for answering for me. I like the pale chocolate because it is not as strong, but you can still get good flavor without getting some of the bitterness associated with normal chocolate malt. Comparing the 2 is similar to comparing milk chocolate and dark chocolate. Both are chocolate and have a similar flavor while still being very different.If you have never used Pale Chocolate, I would encourange you to try some out. I have recommended it to a lot of people and never had anyone say they did not like it.Ed

#15 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 15 July 2009 - 05:36 PM

Thanks alot for your comments guys!I'm really considering ordering some Pale chocolate now.

#16 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 15 July 2009 - 05:46 PM

Pale Chocolate malt is great. I try and stock it here and use it often. You will enjoy it. Good Luck!!

#17 crankycat

crankycat

Comptroller of Zombies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2107 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 16 July 2009 - 12:17 PM

I have done chocolate beers. I often use a combination of chocolate malts, high grade cocoa powder, and a bit of vanilla. Found that cocoa nibs really need to be soaked in vodka first. When I just tossed them into the the secondary, I got a dirt flavor. I have also used chocolate extract. Another thing that I have done is used a bit of lactose. The sweetness (and vanilla) helps to give more of the perception that most people expect from things chocolate.

#18 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 17 July 2009 - 05:13 AM

... Found that cocoa nibs really need to be soaked in vodka first. When I just tossed them into the the secondary, I got a dirt flavor. ...

You need to soak them like you said. Not too sure about their sterility.In short, you really don't know where they've been. :rolleyes:

#19 Winkydowbrewing

Winkydowbrewing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationWorcester, MA

Posted 17 July 2009 - 08:01 AM

Forgive my ignorance, is a chocolate nib basically the raw chocolate bean?

#20 Bigeasy

Bigeasy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 05:33 PM

I've used cocoa powder,nibs and various choc malts.The best flavor I've gotten was from Dingemans choc malt with a half tsp of vanilla in 5 gallons.I used Quiet Storm as the framework for that.Sorry,my recipes are in box getting moved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users