#41 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:31 AM

It has gotten into my head to the point that if I can't get whole leaf hops to dry hop, I don't dry hop.

these days I use whatever I can get

#42 beach

beach

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:56 AM

interesting - I've never heard of this before as a common practice. not sure how I missed it. I've always rushed to chill to avoid DMS.

I stopped worrying about if after seeing the way pro's handle their hot wort. Granted, they're usuing plate chillers and I'm using an IC, but once I turn on my chill water I get the wort cooled pretty quickly. With Saturday's brew I will do a 30 min BK recirculation with 3 oz of Amarillo prior to starting the chiller.

Beach

#43 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:26 AM

Most of my recipes are posted after I brew them, so are accurate. If you have questions about any just ask.

I've had most of these and they are highly recommended.

Here are some of my favorites (in no particular order):
  • Hoppy Pilsner and Simply Saphir Pilsner - Both are delicious takes on the German Pilsner, with a lot of distinctive, but style-appropriate, hop character.
  • NG Alt - is a note-perfect Northern German Alt.
  • Bitter Galaxy - is a nice take on the American Bitter (though I suppose this one is as much New Zealand as US) or Hoppy Session Ale. It would probably work to showcase many hop varieties, but Galaxy makes it very special.
  • Little Indian II - a session-strength American IPA. So much flavor, you won't miss the alcohol. These hop flavor-forward session beers make me wonder if low gravity beers might actually showcase hop flavor better than the usual high gravity IPA.
  • Rye Saison - not quite like any other Saison I've had, but similarly both complex and drinkable. Fuller-bodied than a typical Saison thanks to the Rye, but finishes dry enough to be thirst-quenching. Spicy Saison yeast flavor along with earthy Rye and hop flavors combine to create unique tobacco-like flavors. One of my friends summed this beer up with, "I could drink that every day."

#44 Jdtirado

Jdtirado

Comptroller of Betties & Crocs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2162 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:15 AM

I've had most of these and they are highly recommended.

Here are some of my favorites (in no particular order):

• Hoppy Pilsner and Simply Saphir Pilsner - Both are delicious takes on the German Pilsner, with a lot of distinctive, but style-appropriate, hop character.
  • NG Alt - is a note-perfect Northern German Alt.
  • Bitter Galaxy - is a nice take on the American Bitter (though I suppose this one is as much New Zealand as US) or Hoppy Session Ale. It would probably work to showcase many hop varieties, but Galaxy makes it very special.
  • Little Indian II - a session-strength American IPA. So much flavor, you won't miss the alcohol. These hop flavor-forward session beers make me wonder if low gravity beers might actually showcase hop flavor better than the usual high gravity IPA.
  • Rye Saison - not quite like any other Saison I've had, but similarly both complex and drinkable. Fuller-bodied than a typical Saison thanks to the Rye, but finishes dry enough to be thirst-quenching. Spicy Saison yeast flavor along with earthy Rye and hop flavors combine to create unique tobacco-like flavors. One of my friends summed this beer up with, "I could drink that every day."

Thanks, into my recipe box they go. I love how you did this.

#45 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:12 AM

the chilling isn't instantaneous though. i've never heard of someone purposely leaving the wort hot unless they were doing the whirlpool type addition. i'd be curious to hear what other people do but i was under the impression that you start chilling immediately after you turn the heat off.

Sometimes I will add hops after I start chilling, maybe 5-10 minutes into the cooldown. This was recommended in a book on Helles that Horst wrote.

#46 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:54 PM

Sometimes I will add hops after I start chilling, maybe 5-10 minutes into the cooldown. This was recommended in a book on Helles that Horst wrote.

so is this just to add more aroma?

#47 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:07 PM

I guess I should look through the book. I have quite a few I love, maybe someone else would too. A Rye Stout is on tap now that is one of my better efforts. Of course it's hopped big time.

#48 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:08 PM

I guess I should look through the book. I have quite a few I love, maybe someone else would too. A Rye Stout is on tap now that is one of my better efforts. Of course it's hopped big time.

I am interested in your Alts and Steams

#49 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:15 AM

so is this just to add more aroma?

Yes. He even suggested two different post- or during-chill additions.

#50 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:42 AM

Yes. He even suggested two different post- or during-chill additions.

sweet jesus - I've been missing out on these hop additions all along!

should I bother calculating an IBU contribution?

Edited by StudsTerkel, 22 June 2012 - 05:43 AM.

#51 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:24 AM

sweet jesus - I've been missing out on these hop additions all along!

should I bother calculating an IBU contribution?

do you do one for flameout additions? I don't I assume any IBU contribution is pretty minimal

#52 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 23 June 2012 - 06:26 AM

do you do one for flameout additions? I don't I assume any IBU contribution is pretty minimal

i do and it is pretty minimal.

#53 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54192 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:59 PM

I like the idea of the hop addition during the cool down... very interesting. I have been expanding my horizons on hop additions lately and stopped blindly adding at 60, 15, 5, etc. I do have some recipes where I add hops at flameout and then put the lid on the pot and let them steep for 15 mins and I have also made some beers that only have FWH and last-minute hop additions. Can someone tell me what character you would get by adding hops during the cool down? Is it similar to a late boil addition or flameout addition or does it get close to dry hopping? My guess is that dry hopping works because it takes place after primary fermentation where the hop character will not get scrubbed out.. and the cool down additions would be different than dry hopping.

Edited by KenLenard, 24 June 2012 - 08:00 PM.

#54 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:21 PM

I like the idea of the hop addition during the cool down... very interesting. I have been expanding my horizons on hop additions lately and stopped blindly adding at 60, 15, 5, etc. I do have some recipes where I add hops at flameout and then put the lid on the pot and let them steep for 15 mins and I have also made some beers that only have FWH and last-minute hop additions. Can someone tell me what character you would get by adding hops during the cool down? Is it similar to a late boil addition or flameout addition or does it get close to dry hopping? My guess is that dry hopping works because it takes place after primary fermentation where the hop character will not get scrubbed out.. and the cool down additions would be different than dry hopping.

It would be for aroma, fermentation does change and destroy in some cases hop flavors. This is where dry hopping comes in so the yeast won't eat up the oils, but the alchohol in the beer at this point changes how hop aroma comes through. It is best to do both if going for a big hop profile.

#55 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:15 AM

Can someone tell me what character you would get by adding hops during the cool down? Is it similar to a late boil addition or flameout addition or does it get close to dry hopping?

It's pretty much the same as dry hopping but the effect is pretty subtle. (Which is why it works for a helles that doesn't require very much hop character.)

#56 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:46 AM

It's pretty much the same as dry hopping but the effect is pretty subtle. (Which is why it works for a helles that doesn't require very much hop character.)

with the added benefit of not dealing with dry hopping

#57 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54192 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:03 AM

with the added benefit of not dealing with dry hopping

I know. If you're referring to adding hops to secondary or whatever, I totally hear you. Dry hopping for me has come down to adding hop pellets to a muslin bag and dropping that into the keg. Usually with a piece of thread so I can fish it out of there if necessary. But the idea of getting different flavors into the beer (adding hops at cool down) is interesting to me just as using FWHing interests me. It's fun to experiment with that and have others brewers say, "whoa, how did you get that flavor!?". Cheers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users