#21 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26190 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 13 June 2012 - 06:23 PM

If your looking for proven recipes i'd start with CJ's JPA, Liquid Stupid, quiet storm stout, MLPA, and Denny's RIPA

#22 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 06:55 PM

Most of my recipes are posted after I brew them, so are accurate. If you have questions about any just ask.

Yep, I won't post it unless it's a tried and true recipe. no use in posting in the recipe forum about a recipe you've never brewed. Asking for input yes, posting this is a great stout without ever brewing it is where some forums go wrong.

#23 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54189 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:30 PM

I try to complete mine as best as possible. Many times the recipe is already something I have made many times and I already know that *I* like it. Other times I try to come back with a description of the beer or if I would do something differently. When possible or if the beer warrants it, I post a pic of the beer too. I try to do this because I feel your pain JD... you look through a recipe thread and never get the final recipe or the result of the beer. Cheers.

#24 Jdtirado

Jdtirado

Comptroller of Betties & Crocs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2162 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 14 June 2012 - 03:51 AM

. I try to do this because I feel your pain JD... you look through a recipe thread and never get the final recipe or the result of the beer. Cheers.

Glad I'm not the only one

#25 Jdtirado

Jdtirado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2162 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 14 June 2012 - 03:51 AM

If your looking for proven recipes i'd start with CJ's JPA, Liquid Stupid, quiet storm stout, MLPA, and Denny's RIPA

Thanks

#26 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:49 AM

they don't do much good if you start chilling right away, but that's a whole other thread

the chilling isn't instantaneous though. i've never heard of someone purposely leaving the wort hot unless they were doing the whirlpool type addition. i'd be curious to hear what other people do but i was under the impression that you start chilling immediately after you turn the heat off.

#27 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18076 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:08 AM

the chilling isn't instantaneous though. i've never heard of someone purposely leaving the wort hot unless they were doing the whirlpool type addition. i'd be curious to hear what other people do but i was under the impression that you start chilling immediately after you turn the heat off.

I think there is something to be gained by letting a 0 or 5 minute addition sit in the hot wort for a bit before chilling. After listening to a lot of the pros discuss their beers on can you brew it I have sarted to not worry if I am chilling right at flame out( well power off for me :) ). I will let it go up to 15-20 before I start the chiller.

I am not sure, you may call that a whirlpool addition though?

#28 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:25 AM

I think there is something to be gained by letting a 0 or 5 minute addition sit in the hot wort for a bit before chilling. After listening to a lot of the pros discuss their beers on can you brew it I have sarted to not worry if I am chilling right at flame out( well power off for me :) ). I will let it go up to 15-20 before I start the chiller.

I am not sure, you may call that a whirlpool addition though?

so how much diff is there between just putting the hops in a little earlier in the boil if you aren't going to chill right away? I figure it takes it takes me at least 30 minutes to get down to pitching temps so there is a good amount of contact there.

#29 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18076 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:30 AM

so how much diff is there between just putting the hops in a little earlier in the boil if you aren't going to chill right away? I figure it takes it takes me at least 30 minutes to get down to pitching temps so there is a good amount of contact there.

It takes me much less than 30 minutes. I also think there is a difference in what is extracted from the hops at boiling vs. non-boiling hot wort. Just my opinion.

If I had any time I would like to do an experiment with a simple APA and do one with fast chilling and one with a 20 minute rest after power off and see if there are any percievable differnces.

#30 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:34 AM

It takes me much less than 30 minutes. I also think there is a difference in what is extracted from the hops at boiling vs. non-boiling hot wort. Just my opinion.

If I had any time I would like to do an experiment with a simple APA and do one with fast chilling and one with a 20 minute rest after power off and see if there are any percievable differnces.

do eeeeetttt.

#31 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18076 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:41 AM

do eeeeetttt.

Maybe I can sneak it in over my time off for the July 4th holiday.

Something really simple like 85% 2-Row, 10% munich and 5% cara-pils to 1.048 and then maybe 30-35 IBU's of centennial or cascade. Hops at 60, 15,10 and 0 and ferment with 001, 1056 or S-05.

Then we need an New England meet up to taste them!

John , sorry for jacking your thread with this!!

#32 Jdtirado

Jdtirado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2162 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:45 AM

John , sorry for jacking your thread with this!!

No problem. I made my point so jack away

#33 Jdtirado

Jdtirado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2162 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:46 AM

So mods, can you guys consider having a pinned thread of tried and true recipes?

Edited by Jdtirado, 14 June 2012 - 05:46 AM.

#34 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18076 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:48 AM

No problem. I made my point so jack away

:rolf:

#35 Jdtirado

Jdtirado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2162 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:49 AM

Then we need an New England meet up to taste

If you do a New England meet, I want to go!!!!!!

#36 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25635 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 14 June 2012 - 06:28 AM

Speaking of dry hopping. I have a hypothesis. Always use leaf hops, avoid pellet hops when dry hopping. Why? I have noticed my beers dry hopped with pellets have a mowed lawn, grassy presence to them. The beers where I used whole hops for a dry hop did not have it. All this makes sense to me. What are hop pellets? Plant matter that is cut and chopped up, exposing the inner parts of the leaf, same as what you do to grass when you mow the lawn. Intuitively speaking, it can't hurt to leaf hops for dry hooping. Note: There is no science behind this, just my own observations and using anecdotal evidence. Take my advice with that in mind.

#37 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:28 AM

Speaking of dry hopping.

I have a hypothesis. Always use leaf hops, avoid pellet hops when dry hopping. Why? I have noticed my beers dry hopped with pellets have a mowed lawn, grassy presence to them. The beers where I used whole hops for a dry hop did not have it.

All this makes sense to me. What are hop pellets? Plant matter that is cut and chopped up, exposing the inner parts of the leaf, same as what you do to grass when you mow the lawn. Intuitively speaking, it can't hurt to leaf hops for dry hooping.

Note: There is no science behind this, just my own observations and using anecdotal evidence. Take my advice with that in mind.

haven't noticed that myself, but you aren't the first person I have seen type that, or say it in person

#38 beach

beach

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:33 AM

I just added a recirulation loop to my IC and get to picthing temps in < 30 min now (12.5 gal post boil). When I utilize a flameout addition I recirculate but don't turn the chill water on for 15-30 minutes after flameout. If my recipe doesn't call for a flameout hop addition I just chill immediately.

Is that what you're asking about Studs?

Beach

#39 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25635 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:05 AM

haven't noticed that myself, but you aren't the first person I have seen type that, or say it in person

It has gotten into my head to the point that if I can't get whole leaf hops to dry hop, I don't dry hop.

#40 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:08 AM

I just added a recirulation loop to my IC and get to picthing temps in < 30 min now (12.5 gal post boil). When I utilize a flameout addition I recirculate but don't turn the chill water on for 15-30 minutes after flameout. If my recipe doesn't call for a flameout hop addition I just chill immediately.

Is that what you're asking about Studs?

Beach

interesting - I've never heard of this before as a common practice. not sure how I missed it. I've always rushed to chill to avoid DMS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users