#41 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:49 PM

But Schwanz was saying do a boil, as per normal. If I make Root Beer, I'm only boiling the water to dissolve the sugar before adding it to the keg with the flavoring. Just trying to figure out how this is really different. Know what I mean? It's still not something I would do though.

A boil as per normal doesn't kill the spores. That's the whole reason behind using a pressure cooker.

#42 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:24 PM

After reading the canning FAQ, why not can wort? I wish I had seen that earlier. Now I need to get a pressure cooker!

That's pretty much what we've been saying...

#43 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:56 PM

If you are willing to partigyle, you can can your wort with little to no extra time and effort. You can add just a bit more grain to be able to do this without impacting your gravity or original beer.When I did this a couple years ago, every brew I would can another 6-8 quarts or so. Once I canned 5 cases or so, I decided that was enough, and I still haven't used up all of it yet, but I may try to do some more canning in the near future. Very simple to use, like others have said, and I don't find it to be much trouble to make.If I were to do a separate mash, I would definitely reconsider, but since I just tack it on to a regular brew day, it is really no trouble at all to make.

#44 Kremer

Kremer

Comptroller of MS Paint Diagrams and other vague unspecified stu

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts
  • Location38.360502, -85.311022 (Louisville, KY area)

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:10 PM

I've canned wort before but it wasn't worth the time. much easier to get a bag of DME for starters or just use the coffeemaker and grain.

#45 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:08 AM

I've canned wort before but it wasn't worth the time. much easier to get a bag of DME for starters or just use the coffeemaker and grain.

I can't see how making them one at a time could be more time efficient. can you elaborate a little here?

#46 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:09 AM

so does anyone have a recommendations on pressure canners? maybe a good size?

#47 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:19 AM

I believe this is the one I have:https://www.amazon.c...37944694&sr=8-4

#48 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:47 AM

I believe this is the one I have:https://www.amazon.c...37944694&sr=8-4

how many jars of X size can you fit in there at once? how long does the sterilization process take?

#49 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 25 May 2012 - 05:11 AM

how many jars of X size can you fit in there at once? how long does the sterilization process take?

This is from one of the comments:

have not tried to can more than 7 quarts yet, so am not disappointed that the max is 7 quarts.

#50 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 25 May 2012 - 05:39 AM

sounds about right. that seems to be the limit on the all-american brand ones until you get up to 30qt.anyone know how long one "round" of canning takes?

#51 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:07 AM

sounds about right. that seems to be the limit on the all-american brand ones until you get up to 30qt.anyone know how long one "round" of canning takes?

IIRC, I think it was taking us around 40 minutes or so for each batch that went under pressure... I could be off though.

#52 Rustybrew

Rustybrew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationFort Worth, TX

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:15 AM

I've pressure canned wort for starters a few times. I do it when I'm making bigger beers and use the second runnings for the cans. I just add enough water to get the 8 quarts my pressure cooker will hold at one time. I sparge straight into the jars. It leaves a bit of trub in the bottom of the jars when they are all done, but they work well for starters and are very easy to store and handle.

#53 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16528 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:45 AM

Pressure canning is worth it to me. I get DME for bulk pricing. There are a few ways to work it. You can dissolve all your DME in a kettle without boiling then ladle into canning jars or even easier yet is to weigh out a portion of DME to match the size jar. Add your nutrient then pressure can. I can do a 5g batch this way in 1.5hrs or so. The process of pressure canning will boil it so no need to preboil. Its the only way I will do it. Once done you can store your starter wort for an indefinite amount of time at room temp and know you are safe from the spores. Stangbat and I are sharing a canning and brew day here. Posted Image

#54 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:13 AM

tre - is that 1.5 hours using 2 pressure cookers?

#55 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16528 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:35 AM

tre - is that 1.5 hours using 2 pressure cookers?

Nope, just using a 6qt capacity canner. Actually it probably takes closer to 2hrs to do 5g.Pic was just illustrating a shared canning day using the 6qt and the big mofo which can do two levels of jars.EDIT: Using turkey fryer as a heat source is where the time is saved. Stove tops will obviously take longer

Edited by BlKtRe, 25 May 2012 - 07:40 AM.

#56 Joe

Joe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:45 AM

You can usually pick up pressure canners (pressure cookers - same thing) for a really good price at yard sales (haven't checked craig's list). The only thing you'll want to do is take it to your extension office to have it pressure tested (usually around $5 last time I checked). Using an old pressure cooker untested is dangerous. Having more than one is helpful (we have four).My hobby is brewing. My wife's is canning. Our basement looks like an alcoholic's version of doomsday preppers.

#57 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:50 AM

i've got nothing for canners or pressure cookers on craigslist in my state.

#58 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:04 AM

Nope, just using a 6qt capacity canner. Actually it probably takes closer to 2hrs to do 5g.Pic was just illustrating a shared canning day using the 6qt and the big mofo which can do two levels of jars.EDIT: Using turkey fryer as a heat source is where the time is saved. Stove tops will obviously take longer

is that you can fit 6 1qt jars in at a time?

#59 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16528 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:13 AM

is that you can fit 6 1qt jars in at a time?

Yes, but a extra pint will fit too. I usually can qts and pints.Qts to initially make the starter, pints for steps or refreshing a cake.

#60 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:19 AM

so the prestos are half the price of the all-american - what's the deal?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users