87 replies to this topic

#61 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 07:15 AM

so there is a fairly reasonable chance that when I go to brew this I won't have any 2-row yet (next group buy isn't until march).  I'm not sure I quite understand using 2-row and pils.  a pale ale malt I would get since the pale ale malt is substantially different but regular pale 2-row isn't that different than pilsen.

Just thinking off the top of my head but what if you did like 16.5-17#'s of Pils and maybe 1-1.5 of something like Vienna?

#62 JMcG

JMcG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 07:20 AM

IMO the pale ale would be fine.  If you use fresh ginger be sure to increase the amt.  I usually don't add sugar to the boil and feed it to the fermenter day 3 and 4.

#63 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 February 2015 - 07:53 AM

Just thinking off the top of my head but what if you did like 16.5-17#'s of Pils and maybe 1-1.5 of something like Vienna?

That would also probably be in the right ballpark and I believe I do have a small amount of Vienna left.

IMO the pale ale would be fine.  If you use fresh ginger be sure to increase the amt.  I usually don't add sugar to the boil and feed it to the fermenter day 3 and 4.

in doing subsequent research it sounds like dried ginger is recommended simply b/c it's hard to predict what you are going to get out of fresh ginger per oz but I also read what you are saying, that you need to use more fresh than dried.  I've done the sugar thing both ways (in the boil and in primary).  I usually kind of just decide at the last minute which way I'll go.  Perhaps when it's this much sugar  I'll go the primary route.

#64 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 February 2015 - 08:28 AM

so what the hell?  ommegang says there are grains of paradise, coriander, ginger and sweet orange peel.  that BYO recipe is whack!

#65 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 07 March 2015 - 05:46 PM

mental note for me:  dry hopping a beer like this with amarillo could be really awesome.

#66 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 08:27 PM

mental note for me: dry hopping a beer like this with amarillo could be really awesome.

You should try Tank 7 from Boulevard. Great saison with American hops and a nice amarillo dry hop.

#67 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16642 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 08:00 AM

You should try Tank 7 from Boulevard. Great saison with American hops and a nice amarillo dry hop.

Seconded.

If you dry hopped it would you keep the spices? Seems like potential for clashing there but I've never done it.

#68 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 March 2015 - 01:42 PM

I would keep some.  orange peel, orange from coriander, orange from amarillo.  all goes together.

#69 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16642 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 02:25 PM

I would keep some.  orange peel, orange from coriander, orange from amarillo.  all goes together.

Well you could be right. I could see a little coriander playing along but it seems like real citrus would clash with the citrus-like (but not exactly citrus) of American hops. I could be very wrong though. Definitely let us know what you do and how it comes through.

ETA: My only experience with this would be the occasional nectarine/tangarine,etc IPA I have had at various times and places. They were interesting but none really worked for me. Maybe I just haven't had a good one. And maybe your orange and amarillo will play along if used more judiciously.

Edited by nettles, 08 March 2015 - 02:28 PM.

#70 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 March 2015 - 03:36 PM

Well you could be right. I could see a little coriander playing along but it seems like real citrus would clash with the citrus-like (but not exactly citrus) of American hops. I could be very wrong though. Definitely let us know what you do and how it comes through.

ETA: My only experience with this would be the occasional nectarine/tangarine,etc IPA I have had at various times and places. They were interesting but none really worked for me. Maybe I just haven't had a good one. And maybe your orange and amarillo will play along if used more judiciously.

I've always gone very minimal with spices in the few beers I've made that use them.  the amarillo would likely almost completely over power them.

#71 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16642 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 12:32 PM

Can I jump on board here? I'm finally going to make something along these lines. It's my wife's favorite beer and she keeps requesting I make something like it. Never spiced a beer before. Probably going to use something similar to your grist of Pils and 2-row and a little sucrose to 1.070. For spices I will go with coriander, sweet orange, GOP, and dried ginger. I am going to consult Farmhouse Ales to get Markowski's "subtle effect" quantities.  WY3726 for yeast which I think will be a bit different than Ommegang's yeast. Thoughts?

#72 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 March 2015 - 12:36 PM

jump on in.  I don't have much to offer here as I don't make many Belgian styles.

Where did you get your GOP?

#73 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16642 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 12:43 PM

jump on in.  I don't have much to offer here as I don't make many Belgian styles.

Where did you get your GOP?

The Spice House. Penzey's probably has them too.

#74 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 12:52 PM

The Spice House. Penzey's probably has them too.

They do not.  I have always seen that at the homebrew store but never thought of a spice house having them.  I bet they are much fresher that way.  How much do you plan to add? 

#75 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 24 March 2015 - 01:35 PM

Can I jump on board here? I'm finally going to make something along these lines. It's my wife's favorite beer and she keeps requesting I make something like it. Never spiced a beer before. Probably going to use something similar to your grist of Pils and 2-row and a little sucrose to 1.070. For spices I will go with coriander, sweet orange, GOP, and dried ginger. I am going to consult Farmhouse Ales to get Markowski's "subtle effect" quantities.  WY3726 for yeast which I think will be a bit different than Ommegang's yeast. Thoughts?

Yes.  I'd say on a first run to keep the spices very subtle.  Then again, I use an ounce of dried coriander that is ground with mortar and pestle in my standard 5 gal Saison and I can barely detect it.......  It's huge lemony when freshly ground tho.

#76 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16642 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 02:06 PM

They do not.  I have always seen that at the homebrew store but never thought of a spice house having them.  I bet they are much fresher that way.  How much do you plan to add? 

Don't know yet, I need to consult FA when I have a moment. Going to stay near taste threshold for all four spices. To me Hennepin is clearly spiced when you taste it. But other than maybe coriander I would not be able to pick out the other 3 spices without prior knowledge of what they are. That's is what I am going for, clearly spiced but with small doses of several spices to make them hard to recognize.

#77 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16642 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 02:08 PM

Yes.  I'd say on a first run to keep the spices very subtle.  Then again, I use an ounce of dried coriander that is ground with mortar and pestle in my standard 5 gal Saison and I can barely detect it.......  It's huge lemony when freshly ground tho.

Thanks. Yeah I love fresh coriander! I even use it along with orange zest in my blueberry buckwheat pancakes. But I've yet to use it in beer.

#78 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 25 March 2015 - 05:39 AM

so I kind of question if sugar is really part of this recipe despite the fact that it's in every clone recipe I see.  if the FG is only 1.010 I would think sugar would cause you to overshoot the mark and end up with something much drier.  Cut and paste from ommegang's website below:

• Malts: Pilsner, pale
  • Hops: Styrian Golding, Spalter Select
  • Spices: Coriander, sweet orange peel, ginger, grains of paradise
  • Yeast: Ommegang house yeast
  • OG: 16.8o Plato
  • FG: 2.6o Plato
  • ABV: 7.7%
  • IBU: 24

#79 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 25 March 2015 - 05:41 AM

Is there any rationale to adding sugar and closely monitoring the batch and pulling the plug (kegging) at the selected FG?  In other words kill the fermentation?  IIRC, Hennepin does have a dry character??

#80 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 25 March 2015 - 05:57 AM

Is there any rationale to adding sugar and closely monitoring the batch and pulling the plug (kegging) at the selected FG?  In other words kill the fermentation?  IIRC, Hennepin does have a dry character??

it's certainly not sweet but I don't remember it seeming really dry.  I'm not a great judge of that though.  I'm better at telling when something is really sweet.  once you get down around 1.010 my resolution isn't very good.

I don't think killing the fermentation is a great idea from the perspective that the yeast would likely still have some "cleaning up" to do.  I've never tried halting a fermentation though so I could be wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users