155 replies to this topic

#41 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:38 AM

I dont understand why someone would want to use power to keep the metal mash tun at the correct temp when you can use a cooler without the need for power/heat.Dan

Because I can :)I had a 48 qt Ice Cube before I moved to a 15g SS pot. I wanted the larger capacity and the pot was onsale cheap. I have insulated it and really have little temperature loss. I like the ability to step mash or easily mash out. But coolers work just fine and I still use my old one every now and then.

#42 brewman

brewman

Canyon Chin King of Chicago

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13080 posts
  • LocationFlorida Everglades

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:39 AM

I guess I enjoy the process as much as the product. If I wanted a rig that did everything for me then why not just buy beer. I enjoy the brewing as much as the brew and the more hands on the better.Dan

#43 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:39 AM

Because I can :)I had a 48 qt Ice Cube before I moved to a 15g SS pot. I wanted the larger capacity and the pot was onsale cheap. I have insulated it and really have little temperature loss. I like the ability to step mash or easily mash out. But coolers work just fine and I still use my old one every now and then.

what do you use to insulate it that can take the heat?

#44 brewman

brewman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13080 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:41 AM

Asbestos, but you wont live very long using it.Dan

#45 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:48 AM

what do you use to insulate it that can take the heat?

I use this https://www.homedepo...tion-20960.html I have 2-3 layers on my HLT, MLT and BK and have no issues. You have to remember I do not heat directly, I am all electric.

#46 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:50 AM

I use this https://www.homedepo...tion-20960.html I have 2-3 layers on my HLT, MLT and BK and have no issues. You have to remember I do not heat directly, I am all electric.

ah! got it. i thought maybe i had found something to insulate my smoker ;)

#47 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:51 AM

I guess I enjoy the process as much as the product. If I wanted a rig that did everything for me then why not just buy beer. I enjoy the brewing as much as the brew and the more hands on the better.Dan

I am still very hands on. Valves do not open or close themselves, switches and controllers need to be programed. I think I am more hands on now with what I have than I was when i used a turkey fryer and a converted keg. And I can repeat tempertures and values every time.

#48 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:07 PM

so anyway - I'm excited to build my little temp control box. should be kind of fun.

#49 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:08 PM

so anyway - I'm excited to build my little temp control box. should be kind of fun.

Your beer will love it. What do you plan on using a small dorm fridge or a regular one? Temp controlled fermentation is the best.Sorry I took your thread on a tangent .. I have a habbit of doing that :crazy:

#50 brewman

brewman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13080 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:12 PM

I had a blast building my fermentation chamber and can now make anything.Dan

#51 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:14 PM

Your beer will love it. What do you plan on using a small dorm fridge or a regular one? Temp controlled fermentation is the best.Sorry I took your thread on a tangent .. I have a habbit of doing that :crazy:

I have a small dorm fridge coming my way that's one of the taller ones. i have another already here that's a cube. I think I'll probably design around the taller one since it won't have to struggle as much to keep the temps down.

#52 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:20 PM

I have a small dorm fridge coming my way that's one of the taller ones. i have another already here that's a cube. I think I'll probably design around the taller one since it won't have to struggle as much to keep the temps down.

Go big!! ugh .. damn small picture!Posted Image

#53 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:23 PM

Go big!! ugh .. damn small picture!Posted Image

what's cooling that thing? no insulation?

#54 brewman

brewman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13080 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:24 PM

Cut the guts out of it and build it into your box.Dan

#55 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:30 PM

what's cooling that thing? no insulation?

Doors have since been insulated. Walls are standard 2x4 construction and insulated. It is now cooled by an AC unit, 5000 btu I think.

#56 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16528 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:27 PM

That's what I was thinking too. I've had a little voice in the back of my head telling me to build a HERMS.

Stopped using mine years ago. PIA and inefficient. Wasn't worth having around. I switched to a RIMS.

#57 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:44 PM

Stopped using mine years ago. PIA and inefficient. Wasn't worth having around. I switched to a RIMS.

:cheers:

#58 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:08 PM

:cheers:

what's the diff? I've never really looked into these other than knowing you needed some pumps and stuff.

#59 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:11 PM

That's what I was thinking too. I've had a little voice in the back of my head telling me to build a HERMS.

Best thing I ever did with a minor mod. Already had the EHLT controlled by a Ranco. Easy to put a stirrer and exchange coil in it and now it's an EHERMS too. I use it for my vorlauf and mashout (which is really just bumping up temps for better sugar solubility at my place). The vorlauf is usually 30 - 45 minutes just to circulate everything since it clears in a minute or two. I've only done a couple step mashes with it, but it works fine for that too.

#60 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:19 PM

what's the diff? I've never really looked into these other than knowing you needed some pumps and stuff.

In a RIMS, the wort comes in direct contact with a heating element. Scorching is listed as a potential problem but my guess is that it's not near as bad a problem as some people claim (or else nobody would use a RIMS). In a HERMS, there is a heat exchanger (some people call them immersion chillers) sitting in a hot water bath and the wort is circulated through it to heat it up. This is a lot less efficient than heating the wort directly but avoids the scorching issue (or non-issue whatever the case may be).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users